What's new

USA vs Mexico

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
USA! USA! USA! Dont Embarass us again! USA! USA! USA!

New coaches in the spotlight as U.S. prepares to face Mexico
By ANDREW BAGNATO, AP Sports Writer
February 6, 2007

Cuauhtemoc Blanco, a striker on the Mexico national soccer team, kicks toward the goal during team practice at Arizona State University on Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2007, in Tempe, Ariz. The team is preparing for an international exhibition match against the U.S. national team in Glendale, Ariz. on Wednesday.
AP - Feb 6, 6:28 pm EST
More Photos

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- American coach Bob Bradley and Mexico's Hugo Sanchez have a sense of urgency as they prepare for Wednesday's exhibition matchup.

Bradley is trying to persuade U.S. Soccer Federation officials to remove "interim" from his title. Sanchez, perhaps the greatest player in his country's history, wants to put his stamp on the national team in his international coaching debut.

"For both of us, I think it is important," Sanchez said through an interpreter Tuesday. "It's as important for him to win as it is for me. We're both starting new eras."

But that may be where the similarity ends.

Sanchez has not had to deal with questions about his future. Bradley took over from Bruce Arena and led the United States to a 3-1 win over Denmark in his first game on Jan. 20. For this game, he's brought in four England-based players: midfielders Clint Dempsey and Bobby Convey, defender Carlos Bocanegra and goalkeeper Tim Howard.

ADVERTISEMENT
"As a coach, you always look forward to big matches," Bradley said. "I have not allowed this `interim' thing to factor into any part of it."

Sanchez was heralded as a savior when he replaced Ricardo La Volpe in November. By summoning five Mexicans from Europe for the match, Sanchez made it clear that he's playing to win, although he said he'll also use the game to evaluate his roster for this summer's CONCACAF Gold Cup, the championship of North and Central America and the Caribbean.

"I'm going to be able to determine a lot out of this game," Sanchez said.

Mexican officials are looking forward to seeing how the team will respond to the 48-year-old Sanchez. He coached Pumas from 2000-2005, winning the Mexican League title twice in a row. He took over Necaxa in September, but the club failed to make the playoffs.

"We're very excited, not only because it his first game, but because it is the beginning of a long journey," Mexican national team coordinator Guillermo Cantu said. "We have our minds set up for the World Cup in South Africa (in 2010). We must have a beginning, and this is the beginning.

"The excitement surrounding this game is important for us and for people in Mexico and Mexican people here in the U.S.," Cantu said.

Organizers said that more than 50,000 tickets have been sold at 62,000-seat University of Phoenix Stadium, home to the NFL's Arizona Cardinals and the site of next year's Super Bowl.

A heavily pro-Mexican crowd is expected. Dozens of fans, many of them wearing Mexico's red, white and green turned out as the team practiced behind screened fences on a sun-splashed field at Arizona State University Tuesday morning. Sanchez, known as "Hugol" during his playing career, posed for photos and waved as he made his way to the team bus after the workout.

The United States has dominated the rivalry recently, going 7-2-1 against Mexico since 2000. The Americans are 6-0-1 on home soil in that stretch, outscoring Mexico 11-0 in those games.

Sanchez wants to reverse that trend, and even though Wednesday's game is an exhibition, he's calling on his players to show their national pride.

"Besides enthusiasm and complete dedication, every game played with the Mexican national team jersey, you have to play with all your might," Sanchez said. "That's the norm I am going to establish."

Bradley wants the same commitment from his players. But he hasn't received a commitment from the USSF, which hired him as interim coach Dec. 8 after former German coach Juergen Klinsmann removed himself as a candidate.

The winningest coach in Major League Soccer history with 124 victories, Bradley spent 2006 as head coach of Chivas USA, earning MLS coach of the year honors for the second time.

Permanent candidates for the U.S. men's national team job might include Lyon coach Gerard Houllier, Manchester United assistant Carlos Queiroz and Jose Pekerman, who coached Argentina at the World Cup.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=Ajz....p&type=lgns

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'll be watching...

hope that Tim Howard starts in goal

Reaction score
soccer....basketball...soccer...basketball

i think ill be watching a real sport and a real rivilary

unc-duke

Beinfest4Prez

Muckdog
Reaction score
soccer....basketball...soccer...basketball

i think ill be watching a real sport and a real rivilary

unc-duke
Hard to take you seriously when you can't spell Rivalry right. :p

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Tim Howard is starting in goal

nil satis nisi optimum

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm watching. I wish they played mexico in northern cities rather than border cities.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think i am going to mute it, I cant stand Bruce Arenas voice

sweet its on univision. I'll watch it in spanish

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
college basketball before march = pretty much useless duke and UNC both wll be high seated anyways

will watch the soccer match

Will that young stud kid be playing for us come the next WC?

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
Bruce Arena is not a TV voice at all.

Had to say that.

put on univision thats what I did. I really cant stand to hear his voice at all.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I wish McBride would have been on this team

not many chances for either side in the 1h

USA caught a break with Borgetti missing a header

nice counter attack by Donovan

0-0 halftime

rorod

Muckdog
Reaction score
i never see a goal....i watched the world cup and no scoring would happen then i would flip back and they would have scored a goal....i always miss it....same here watched the 1st half now i have to do hmwk and tommorow i will see on sports center that they scored 6 goals in the 2nd half :banghead

jmenjes

Muckdog
Reaction score
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USA

Top Bottom