What's new

Video of Buffalo/Ottawa Brawl

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
Emery was loving all of that. He absolutely annihilated Martin Biron. And then he fought someone else. Goalie vs a forward. When was the last time that happened?

Prime reason why I hate the Sabres. That team is dirty as hell. That was a clean hit by Neil. There was nothing wrong with it whatsoever. And on top of it all, Lindy Ruff is a moron.

AGonzalez11

Muckdog
Reaction score
Emery was loving all of that. He absolutely annihilated Martin Biron. And then he fought someone else. Goalie vs a forward. When was the last time that happened?

Prime reason why I hate the Sabres. That team is dirty as hell. That was a clean hit by Neil. There was nothing wrong with it whatsoever. And on top of it all, Lindy Ruff is a moron.

Sabres are dirty? since when? they have been stereotyped as an extremely soft team this year - the reason the whole ordeal occured last night is buffalo was trying to send a message that they're not soft by retaliating to a late hit by neil. it was a shoulder, but it was also late and the intent was clear. drury had already let the puck go before neil even pivoted towards drury.

regardless, how can anyone not watch hockey after seeing something like that? why? ignorance? stupidity? what do people not see in the game? i'll never understand how this sport isn't more popular in this country.

Ray Emery is awesome

you'll be glad to know mike keenan turned down an emery, martin havlat, chris phillips and a first round pick for luongo deal then. :banghead

rorod

Muckdog
Reaction score

Sabres are dirty? since when? they have been stereotyped as an extremely soft team this year - the reason the whole ordeal occured last night is buffalo was trying to send a message that they're not soft by retaliating to a late hit by neil. it was a shoulder, but it was also late and the intent was clear. drury had already let the puck go before neil even pivoted towards drury.

regardless, how can anyone not watch hockey after seeing something like that? why? ignorance? stupidity? what do people not see in the game? i'll never understand how this sport isn't more popular in this country.

Ray Emery is awesome

you'll be glad to know mike keenan turned down an emery, martin havlat, chris phillips and a first round pick for luongo deal then. :banghead
i read somewhere the one of the games last year of the stanley cup final had lower tv ratings than bowling, poker, and a regular season baseball game that never even started because of rain... :lol hockey is a cool sport but i hate watching it on tv...in person its better

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score

Well, I watch a fight like that, and I think, "wow, that's pretty awesome." But then my next thoughts are somewhere along the lines of, "this sport is kind of ridiculous and bush-league".

John Chaney, former coach of the Temple Owls, did something like this in a college basketball game, and he was suspended (by himself) for several games, and it probably expeditied the end of his career. In hockey, this kind of stuff is basically encouraged--not explicitly, but in a kind of wink-wink manner. I think it takes away from the dignity of the actual game, and drags it down more to the level of something like the WWF, or whatever they call wrestling these days. Now, I'm not equating the NHL with the WWF, so try not to get angry with me. I'm just saying this kind of stuff pulls the game down towards that level.

I enjoy hockey, and I even enjoy watching some of the better hockey fights, but after seeing one, it's just hard for me to take the game seriously. Thankfully, in the playoffs, the fights decrease markedly, the players seem to focus more on actually winning, and it's harder to dismiss the game. But by that point, I don't know who's on what team, I'm not invested in anything, so...while I can take the game seriously, I just don't care.

I really think that to outsiders all of the fighting makes the NHL kind of a joke.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
The announcers were very entertaining but to be honest Ive seen better fights at Girls JV soccer games.

Beinfest4Prez

Muckdog
Reaction score

Ray Emery is awesome

Where in gods name did you read that deal!?!

I don't believe it, but please do tell.

Juanky

I've seen better fights in the Orange Bowl :mischief

It's always awesome when the goalies throw down, though.

AGonzalez11

Muckdog
Reaction score

Well, I watch a fight like that, and I think, "wow, that's pretty awesome." But then my next thoughts are somewhere along the lines of, "this sport is kind of ridiculous and bush-league".

John Chaney, former coach of the Temple Owls, did something like this in a college basketball game, and he was suspended (by himself) for several games, and it probably expeditied the end of his career. In hockey, this kind of stuff is basically encouraged--not explicitly, but in a kind of wink-wink manner. I think it takes away from the dignity of the actual game, and drags it down more to the level of something like the WWF, or whatever they call wrestling these days. Now, I'm not equating the NHL with the WWF, so try not to get angry with me. I'm just saying this kind of stuff pulls the game down towards that level.

I enjoy hockey, and I even enjoy watching some of the better hockey fights, but after seeing one, it's just hard for me to take the game seriously. Thankfully, in the playoffs, the fights decrease markedly, the players seem to focus more on actually winning, and it's harder to dismiss the game. But by that point, I don't know who's on what team, I'm not invested in anything, so...while I can take the game seriously, I just don't care.

I really think that to outsiders all of the fighting makes the NHL kind of a joke.

while some of your points may hold water - your basketball comparison is rather silly. fighting is part of the sport in hockey, always has been. it definatley is not in basketball. the fighting isnt "encouraged", hence the 5 minute major penalties, it just isn't punished as harshly as it would be in another sport. fighting is a way for players to police themselves and also is a way for a team to change the momentum of the game.

that being said, this isn't WWE. not even close. there is a respect amongst hockey players, especially enforcers. after this brawl, the sabre who started (mair) it went over the the senators locker room after the game and apologized to the player he went after. i also remember seeing a laraque fight earlier this year where the dialoge was something like this:

Ivanis: "drop em?"
Laraque: "square off?"
Ivanis: "yep"
Laraque: "OK, good luck man"

...then they start whaling on each other. the good luck was genuine too.

they don't fight just to fight - its a part of the sport. hockey is an extremely physical sport and at some point, players need to police themselves. last night was a perfect example of that for the sabres. when players like neil think its ok to level your captain on a questionable (but defined as "legal") hit....you're definatley going to see some consequences. there was no penalty but neil's intent was pretty clear. if there was no fighting, dirty players like chris neil would be able to run around throwing flying elbows all game long and THAT is how you see the serious injuries, not during fights. players quit throwing once a guy is down or they think has had enough.

and while you may not like the fighting, most people do. why is boxing so popular? or wrestling? people like watching that stuff....why not hockey? the sport is faster than the other major sports, and is extremely physical (entertaining, for most) i don't get it....but i don't get alot of things about the american public, so whatever.

Ray Emery is awesome

bob mckenzie reported it the day after the trade was made (during TSN's live coverage at the draft). it has been reported by other canadian outlets as well.

i can almost guarantee you it was offered. ottawa needed a goalie and they had to trade havlat anyway (and ended up not getting much for him - preissing). it was offered, but keenan is so infatuated with bertuzzi he took vancouver's package instead.

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
while some of your points may hold water - your basketball comparison is rather silly. fighting is part of the sport in hockey, always has been. it definatley is not in basketball. the fighting isnt "encouraged", hence the 5 minute major penalties, it just isn't punished as harshly as it would be in another sport. fighting is a way for players to police themselves and also is a way for a team to change the momentum of the game.

You say it's a silly comparison, but the actions in both sports are the same. A coach puts in some thugs to get back at another team. I would also compare it to when a manager in baseball tells his pitcher to throw inside. That has long been a part of the sport, but baseball has chosen to crack down on it by throwing players out of the game if there's even a question of retaliation. The offsetting 5 minute penalties in hockey hurt no one...there's no real penalty to either team there. If they wanted to discourage fighting, they'd start tossing people. I will never understand why fighting should be part of a sport like hockey, and not football or rugby or some other equally physical sport. I will never consider it part of the sport. To me, hockey is part of hockey. And fighting is just something else they do.

and while you may not like the fighting, most people do. why is boxing so popular? or wrestling? people like watching that stuff....why not hockey? the sport is faster than the other major sports, and is extremely physical (entertaining, for most) i don't get it....but i don't get alot of things about the american public, so whatever.

Just to correct you...I never said I didn't like the fighting. I explicitly said that I enjoyed watching that fight. I just said that, for me, and I suspect for some other people, it makes it hard to take the game seriously. It was just one suggestion as to why the game isn't that popular. The comparison to boxing and wrestling is really neither here nor there, since if they took fighting out of those sports, there woudn't be much left. Besides which, boxing is not popular at all, and wrestling, well, you actually probably could take out most of the fighting and it would probably still remain popular among the niche crowd it has. Wrestling didn't really enjoy its resurgence in popularity until they started adding all the mysogyny and soap opera elements.

Beinfest4Prez

Muckdog
Reaction score

that being said, this isn't WWE. not even close. there is a respect amongst hockey players, especially enforcers. after this brawl, the sabre who started (mair) it went over the the senators locker room after the game and apologized to the player he went after. i also remember seeing a laraque fight earlier this year where the dialoge was something like this:

Ivanis: "drop em?"
Laraque: "square off?"
Ivanis: "yep"
Laraque: "OK, good luck man"

...then they start whaling on each other. the good luck was genuine too.

they don't fight just to fight - its a part of the sport. hockey is an extremely physical sport and at some point, players need to police themselves. last night was a perfect example of that for the sabres. when players like neil think its ok to level your captain on a questionable (but defined as "legal") hit....you're definatley going to see some consequences. there was no penalty but neil's intent was pretty clear. if there was no fighting, dirty players like chris neil would be able to run around throwing flying elbows all game long and THAT is how you see the serious injuries, not during fights. players quit throwing once a guy is down or they think has had enough.

Ray Emery is awesome

bob mckenzie reported it the day after the trade was made (during TSN's live coverage at the draft). it has been reported by other canadian outlets as well.

i can almost guarantee you it was offered. ottawa needed a goalie and they had to trade havlat anyway (and ended up not getting much for him - preissing). it was offered, but keenan is so infatuated with bertuzzi he took vancouver's package instead.

Well, I never heard that. Now I really hate Keenan.

How could he have turned that deal down!?! Thats ridiculous. Martin Havlat maybe injury prone but goddamn when he's healthy he maybe the best goal scorer in the game right now. Chris Phillips is a solid young defensemen and easily could be better than Allen in the long run. And Ray Emery, a goalie whose already playoff tested and one of the rising talents in the game. AND A FIRST ROUND DP!?!

I hate you Keenan. I seriously, loathe you.

AGonzalez11

Muckdog
Reaction score

You say it's a silly comparison, but the actions in both sports are the same. A coach puts in some thugs to get back at another team. I would also compare it to when a manager in baseball tells his pitcher to throw inside. That has long been a part of the sport, but baseball has chosen to crack down on it by throwing players out of the game if there's even a question of retaliation. The offsetting 5 minute penalties in hockey hurt no one...there's no real penalty to either team there. If they wanted to discourage fighting, they'd start tossing people. I will never understand why fighting should be part of a sport like hockey, and not football or rugby or some other equally physical sport. I will never consider it part of the sport. To me, hockey is part of hockey. And fighting is just something else they do.
they don't want to discourage fighting - they can't discourage fighting. it's a part of the game. if you don't consider it a part of the game you probably don't truly understand the sport. i'm not trying to insult you by saying that, but it's just the truth of the matter. fighting has been accepted ever since inaugural season. it IS part of the game. it is used to change momentum and allow players to police themselves if needed. it isn't encouraged by the nhl, but they also will never outlaw it completely. they have taken measures to control the fights with the instigator rule (and just about every hockey fan despises that rule, too)

Just to correct you...I never said I didn't like the fighting. I explicitly said that I enjoyed watching that fight. I just said that, for me, and I suspect for some other people, it makes it hard to take the game seriously. It was just one suggestion as to why the game isn't that popular. The comparison to boxing and wrestling is really neither here nor there, since if they took fighting out of those sports, there woudn't be much left. Besides which, boxing is not popular at all, and wrestling, well, you actually probably could take out most of the fighting and it would probably still remain popular among the niche crowd it has. Wrestling didn't really enjoy its resurgence in popularity until they started adding all the mysogyny and soap opera elements.

i doubt that is it...hell, i'd go as far as saying if there were more fights the nhl would be more popular. people love violence. it's the only reason some people go to games. look at the crowd in buffalo during and after that brawl...the entire game was like a stanley cup atmosphere.
Well, I never heard that. Now I really hate Keenan.

How could he have turned that deal down!?! Thats ridiculous. Martin Havlat maybe injury prone but goddamn when he's healthy he maybe the best goal scorer in the game right now. Chris Phillips is a solid young defensemen and easily could be better than Allen in the long run. And Ray Emery, a goalie whose already playoff tested and one of the rising talents in the game. AND A FIRST ROUND DP!?!

I hate you Keenan. I seriously, loathe you.

there were some problems with that deal at the time as well. first - both havlat and phillips were due to become UFA's after this year (phillips still is). havlat publicly said he would NOT re-sign before testing the market as well. he eventually did - but at $6mil per. he's a hell of a player, but its a huge risk for them considering his lack of durability.

emery is having a good season as well, but he was absolutley awful in the playoffs....so he really wasn't as attractive as he would be now. anything would be better than auld though.

Los Angeles also reportedly offered Alexander Frolov, Tim Gleason and Mathieu Garon for Luongo. Garon sucks, but Auld is worse...Frolov has 30+ goals and Gleason eventually got the Kings Jack Johnson (Phaneuf-esque prospect)

The silver lining of all this? Mike Keenan is gone.

Top Bottom