What's new

"We are a young, get-after-it, hacking ballclub."

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
This article is filled with great quotes from Presley and a few players on the too many Ks nonsense.

==============================

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sns-ap-...la-sports-front

Marlins on Pace to Set Strikeout Record

By STEVEN WINE
AP Sports Writer

May 8, 2007, 4:56 PM EDT

MIAMI -- Miguel Cabrera backs away from the plate, rubs his knee, arches his back, stretches his arms, spits, taps each shoe with his bat, steps back into the box, adjusts his helmet, scuffs the dirt, crouches and gives the bat a menacing waggle. Then he swings and misses. The Florida Marlins have struck out again.

Cabrera and his teammates swing for the fences, and often they miss. Marlins hitters are on pace to set a major league record for strikeouts, and on Monday they fanned 14 times against Brad Penny of the Los Angeles Dodgers. But the Marlins also began the week leading the National League in runs, slugging and total bases, and they have five players on pace to hit more than 20 home runs.

"What does that tell you?" hitting coach Jim Presley said. "If we cut down on our aggressiveness, I think that hurts us. We are a young, get-after-it, hacking ballclub. We like to swing that bat, and striking out is part of it. If that's our only drawback, we're going to be OK."

The Marlins are struggling to stay around .500, but not because of their offense. Injuries have sent four starting pitchers to the disabled list, disrupting a rotation touted as the team's strength, and newcomer Jorge Julio quickly became a bust in the closer's role.

But with the youngest team in the majors, the Marlins are on pace to break franchise records for runs and homers set last year. They're also striking out an average of nine times per game.

"It's the kind of hitters we have," said first baseman Mike Jacobs, one of four regulars in their second major league season.

"There's that old saying in the minor leagues that you're not going to walk to the big leagues, you're going to get there by hitting," Jacobs said. "And I think a lot of us still have that mentality that we're going to stay here by hitting.

"I need to hit the ball, drive in runs, hit my home runs, hit my doubles and get my RBIs. While trying to do that, I'm probably going to strike out 100 times, maybe a little bit more."

By Marlins standards, Jacobs is a contact hitter, with 21 strikeouts through 31 games. Like Jacobs, teammates Joe Borchard (38), Dan Uggla (33), Miguel Olivo (30), Hanley Ramirez (24), Josh Willingham (22) and Miguel Cabrera (20) are on pace to finish with more than 100 strikeouts.

"We come out swinging," Uggla said. "We're not what you would call a patient team. When we hurt you, we're going to hurt you good."

They do it playing in a pitcher's park, where the dimensions can be daunting, especially for left-handed hitters. Still, in one recent stretch Florida hit 23 homers in 13 games, the majority at home.

The lineup is built around slugger Cabrera, by far the Marlins' best-paid hitter at $7.4 million. He led the team through Monday with seven home runs, but Uggla, Willingham, Ramirez and Borchard were also on pace to finish with more than 20.

"To score like they've been scoring, it takes more than one hitter," Dodgers manager Grady Little said. "You'd better be careful, because there are guys around Cabrera who can do some damage."

When they hit the ball, that is. The Marlins' whiffability became apparent eight days into the season, when they struck out 17 times in a loss to Milwaukee. The flailing performance against Penny left them on pace to finish with 1,453 strikeouts, which would break the major league record of 1,399 set by the 2001 Brewers.

The Marlins are divided as to whether they strike out too much.

"Nobody wants to set a record for strikeouts," Uggla said.

"That's something we do need to work on -- maybe cutting down our swings a little with two strikes," Willingham said.

"If we're putting up numbers," Jacobs countered, "what's the difference if we're striking out a lot?"

Manager Fredi Gonzalez said the strikeouts aren't a problem as long as his team keeps scoring at its current rate. Hitting coach Presley predicted the Marlins will fan less frequently as the season progresses, but he's reluctant to discourage their aggressive approach at the plate.

"It's like a thoroughbred horse, pulling back the reins on them," Presley said. "We've got some good young hitters. They like to let it go. You like to harness it to a certain extent, but we don't want to cut back so much we're not scoring runs."

LordMagnus

Muckdog
Reaction score
You don't have to strike out over 100 times to hit over 20 home runs. Well, good players don't, anyhow.

gomarlins9703

Muckdog
Reaction score
this is disturbing. the team has a problem and are somewhat proud of it.

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
this is disturbing. the team has a problem and are somewhat proud of it.
That's what I thought. And the coach agrees. Both Fredi and Elvis should be trying to instill a little more patience at the plate.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
I rather have them swing at a strike then stare at them all night. I like their aggressiveness but they need to learn what to swing at and what not to swing at.

LetsGoFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
what willingham said is the best approach. Keep the aggressiveness when you have less than 2 strikes, once you are down in the count lower the aggressiveness a little bit.

DelGOT2Rings

Muckdog
Reaction score
"If we're putting up numbers," Jacobs countered, "what's the difference if we're striking out a lot?"

Presley should be fired if this is the mentality of our players. I cannot stand the horrible approaches our hitters are taking.

VNYB

Muckdog
Reaction score

Presley should be fired if this is the mentality of our players. I cannot stand the horrible approaches our hitters are taking.

Ya like any of us can talk. No one on this thread can even hit a 85 MPH fastball never mind 95 plus. We all make it seem so easy. Guess what its not. No one says anything when we score 9 runs but we have a few bad games and we get all over them. Some times the pitchers are better that day and you have to tip your hat.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
When someone throws one by you at 85-90+ mph all you can do is stand there and laugh. 4/10ths of a second just isn't fair :D

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
When someone throws one by you at 85-90+ mph all you can do is stand there and laugh. 4/10ths of a second just isn't fair :D
Huh...you're not serious are you?
That sounds like something the manager of a team in the Little League World Series would say.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score

Ya like any of us can talk. No one on this thread can even hit a 85 MPH fastball never mind 95 plus. We all make it seem so easy. Guess what its not. No one says anything when we score 9 runs but we have a few bad games and we get all over them. Some times the pitchers are better that day and you have to tip your hat.
not sure why this is relevant

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
I rather have them swing at a strike then stare at them all night.
Hermida. :|

Beinfest4Prez

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ya'll are the same people who were complaining about a lack of aggressiveness at the plate and poor offensive showings the past few years.

Pick one side for christs sake. That being said I'd much rather have a higher strike out rate and more offensive production than lower strike outs and little production. Higher strikeout totals can be fixed.

Reaction score
It is also worth noting that Oliver Perez, Peavy, and Penny are all strike out pitchers. I know those guys had 10+Ks against us, but those are pitchers that are good at striking batters out. Sure we have to try to cut down the Ks, but the truth is we're scoring plenty of runs and are losing games anyway, so the strikeouts have not been the reason we're under .500

Reaction score
Ya'll are the same people who were complaining about a lack of aggressiveness at the plate and poor offensive showings the past few years.

Pick one side for christs sake. That being said I'd much rather have a higher strike out rate and more offensive production than lower strike outs and little production. Higher strikeout totals can be fixed.

Some people do not even agree that we have a better offense this year...they say they are bloated numbers...

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Eerily reminiscent of Bill Robinson's "nobody can do a better job with this group" quote.

marlin2266

Muckdog
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Ks are like empty calories -

They don't move runners, and they don't drive in runs (like a SF or a squeeze) -

I can see all the Ks I want by cueing up my old PDub memories from 2000 -

Now THAT guy knew how to K........

Alex22

Muckdog
Reaction score
There is a difference between being aggressive and being stupid.

Right now most of the hitters are being stupid. Get this straight right now, we are NOT a home run hitting team at our best. We are a team that should be hitting balls into the gaps, and having guys with 20 to 25 home runs. You do not need to strike out at a MLB record setting pace to hit doubles.

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Ks are like empty calories -

They don't move runners, and they don't drive in runs (like a SF or a squeeze) -

I can see all the Ks I want by cueing up my old PDub memories from 2000 -

Now THAT guy knew how to K........
Then again, not a lot of non-strikeout outs move or drive in runners either

Top Bottom