What's new

"We need to get better" - Mike Hill

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
So how about still signing Puig/Castellanos for RF (play Villar in CF).
Sign Alex Wood as a reclamation project 4/5th SP
And Ryan Butcher for a pen lefty.
DFA - Moran, trade Hernandez and one of Dugger/Holloway/Mejia to clear 40 man

I can totally get behind this team:

Alfaro, Cervelli
Aguilar, Cooper
Isan
Rojas, Berti
Anderson
Dickerson
Villar, Sierra
Puig, Ramirez
(AAA - Brinson and Dean; Midseason - Lewin, Monte, Sanchez)

Sandy, Caleb, Pablo, Wood, Urena/Yamamoto
Stanek, Steckenrider, Yimi, Sharp, Urena/Brigham
Garcia, Butcher, Conley
(AAA - The other of Yamamoto/Brigham, Quijada; Midseason - Neidert, Cabrera, Guzman, Sixto)

If the pitcher works out... they may actually be.... good
I honestly dont understand the fascination with Villar in the outfield, let alone a full time starter there.

He has played all of 13 games in the outfield in his career.

Playing Villar at 3b is much more palatible than in CF, though I really am not fond of seeing him at 3b either.

It's been thrown around so much and I dont understand it, just because he is a middle infielder doesnt mean he should be a starting outfielder all of a sudden.

Could he be good in the OF? sure maybe. Is it such a sure thing? Fuck no. But hey, who cares!

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Also, I dont get the point of having Harrison start the season in AAA if you see him as any part of the core of this team going forward, unless he is that god fucking awful this spring.

Kid is 24, time to shit or get off the pot.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Ozuna is probably signing by end of the month. I really have no clue where the market is for Castellanos (my guess is that if the Reds or Rangers dont sign Ozuna, they might be in). I dont care what the Rangers said, though I know their main focus is on Ozuna currently.

Not sure if the Reds would go down the Puig route again.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
And I still would have sold high on Caleb Smith.

Michael

Jumbo Shrimp
VIP
Reaction score
Also, I dont get the point of having Harrison start the season in AAA if you see him as any part of the core of this team going forward, unless he is that god fucking awful this spring.

Coming off an injury, however. If he has a really strong showing in Spring, I will agree with you on this. Til then, fine in AAA.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I honestly dont understand the fascination with Villar in the outfield, let alone a full time starter there.

Playing Villar at 3b is much more palatible than in CF, though I really am not fond of seeing him at 3b either.

It's been thrown around so much and I dont understand it, just because he is a middle infielder doesnt mean he should be a starting outfielder all of a sudden.

Could he be good in the OF? sure maybe. Is it such a sure thing? Fuck no. But hey, who cares!

Because he becomes a switch hitting better Marwin if he can handle CF. He'd be tremendous in that role, especially since CF has lower depth with Monte the only viable longterm option right now and he is very volatile

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score

You need to delay his service time to past Super 2 status. That's mid June. He was also hurt for part of last year. Take some reps in AAA and strike out less.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Because he becomes a switch hitting better Marwin if he can handle CF. He'd be tremendous in that role, especially since CF has lower depth with Monte the only viable longterm option right now and he is very volatile
So you have no idea if he can actually handle the position above replacement level. It's one thing to hope and pray that he can fill a position, but anything beyond that is eh.

CF is one of your most important defensive positions, to throw someone out there that has never really played the position is putting your pitchers in a real bad spot. With as much youth as the Marlins staff has, its one of the last things you really need to be doing!

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
You need to delay his service time to past Super 2 status. That's mid June. He was also hurt for part of last year. Take some reps in AAA and strike out less.
I hate that mindset so fucking much.

He wont be a free agent til he is age 30 as it is. Does that extra year really matter if he is going to be 31 then as opposed to 30?

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
So you have no idea if he can actually handle the position above replacement level. It's one thing to hope and pray that he can fill a position, but anything beyond that is eh.

CF is one of your most important defensive positions, to throw someone out there that has never really played the position is putting your pitchers in a real bad spot. With as much youth as the Marlins staff has, its one of the last things you really need to be doing!
But you take the gamble as if he's even OK there, you've created a massive trade asset or you keep him.

Of course he has to hit though

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score

He wont be a free agent til he is age 30 as it is. Does that extra year really matter if he is going to be 31 then as opposed to 30?
You gotta play the game. An extra year of service time becomes a major asset if the player works out.

They can never buy out Monte and take him year to year through his prime. That's amazing. Look at George Springer's value to the Astros.

Erick

LumberKing
Reaction score

The team is going to suck, might as well experiment.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
But you take the gamble as if he's even OK there, you've created a massive trade asset or you keep him.

Of course he has to hit though
And if he is a disaster defensively you've fucked your entire pitching staff. So there is that as well.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
You gotta play the game. An extra year of service time becomes a major asset if the player works out.

They can never buy out Monte and take him year to year through his prime. That's amazing. Look at George Springer's value to the Astros.

The bigger question is how has his trash can game been for the Astros? Thats almost as important as what he does on the field.

Erick

LumberKing
Reaction score

Yes

Erick

LumberKing
Reaction score
And if he is a disaster defensively you've fucked your entire pitching staff. So there is that as well.
The Cardinals haven’t won anything since you became a fan. There is that as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom