What's new

"We need to get better" - Mike Hill

THRILLHO

Hammerhead
Reaction score
While it’s very cool to think that the team is going to be buying this winter it’s concerning that the team is also leaving Mike Hills comfort zone. The early days of the reboot had tasks that I think he could handle (trading away assets). Now the task is signing free agents and this is where so many mistakes have been made in the past. It is hard to get past that and the thought of Mike Hill now going out to do those deals again...well that doesn’t feel great

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
While it’s very cool to think that the team is going to be buying this winter it’s concerning that the team is also leaving Mike Hills comfort zone. The early days of the reboot had tasks that I think he could handle (trading away assets). Now the task is signing free agents and this is where so many mistakes have been made in the past. It is hard to get past that and the thought of Mike Hill now going out to do those deals again...well that doesn’t feel great
Weren't some of those free agent decisions allegedly made by Loria, even at times overruling the brains in the FO?

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
It's time for Hill to prove everyone he would doing much better without Loria.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Mike Hill hasn't had the chance to show that he can do well in free agency.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Mike Hill hasn't had the chance to show that he can do well in free agency.
And he won't for 2 years as all the prospects need to graduate

Unless of course he starts thinking about 2022 and uses present assets (free agency money) to shape that roster.

Honestly, if they don't sign a Rendon/Castellanos/Ozuna, and ownership has agreed to a $75 million payroll, I'd want them to spend under $15 and bank the $20+ million to 2022. It would be better to not spend just to devote more money for later.

I don't feel optimistic when they are paying off a debt. We'll see.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
What's money?

Do they think Garcia/Dickerson is money at 2/$15, Romo at 1/$4, some other 1 year random bat at 1/$6, and another reliever at 1/$3? Keeping Urena is spending money? I don't think that is money. They'd still have the lowest payroll in baseball.

Unless it's Rendon, Cole, Castellanos, Ozuna, and maybe Wheeler, or they do a series of trades that make sense, get outta here with this garbage Marlins.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
What's money?

Do they think Garcia/Dickerson is money at 2/$15, Romo at 1/$4, some other 1 year random bat at 1/$6, and another reliever at 1/$3? Keeping Urena is spending money? I don't think that is money. They'd still have the lowest payroll in baseball.

Unless it's Rendon, Cole, Castellanos, Ozuna, and maybe Wheeler, or they do a series of trades that make sense, get outta here with this garbage Marlins.
Yeah exactly. They technically "spent money" last off-season on some cheap veteran FAs, but that is not what they need to do this time around.

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
What's money?

Rendon and Cole really be the realistic targets ?

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
I don't have proof but I don't think anyone would be saying the Marlins are gonna "spend money" if it wasn't more significant than the Granderson and Walker type of roster filler signings. I also doubt Mish would report it if it wasn't more than that.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I don't have proof but I don't think anyone would be saying the Marlins are gonna "spend money" if it wasn't more significant than the Granderson and Walker type of roster filler signings. I also doubt Mish would report it if it wasn't more than that.
They haven't earned anything but a "I'll believe it when I see it" from me.

Haven't they pointed to the $X million they spent on Granderson and Walker as to how they "spent money"? Doesn't exactly inspire confidence that their definition of spending money and everyone else's is the same.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
They haven't earned anything but a "I'll believe it when I see it" from me.

Haven't they pointed to the $X million they spent on Granderson and Walker as to how they "spent money"?
Fair to "believe it when you see it" but I don't recall them touting any of those fringe signings as spending money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom