What's new

"We need to get better" - Mike Hill

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score

"In free agency, the Marlins are primarily looking to sign versatile outfielders on one- or two-year deals. The organization is deep on outfield prospects, so it doesn’t want to block them."

It's not a good strategy for the FA signings when you would only offering the "very short term" contracts…

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score

It's not a good strategy for the FA signings when you would only offering the "very short term" contracts…
Depends on who you're offering it to actually. You can't just offer long term contracts to every available free agent. Some might actually fit better on shorter deals.

FishFan95

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
Depends on who you're offering it to actually. You can't just offer long term contracts to every available free agent. Some might actually fit better on shorter deals.
Altuve isn't available. Besides he might not be able to hit without the sound of drums.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Given where they are now, only two real courses of action make sense to me (ignoring trades):

1 - Still sign Castellanos/Ozuna with an eye at a front loaded deal and cheap guys in 2022/2023. Who cares about roster alignment this year, just stock pile talent.

2 - One year lefty CF to help Berti/Sierra/Brinson.

Alfaro, Wallach
Aguilar (Cooper, Rojas)
Diaz (Berti, Villar)
Rojas (Berti, Villar)
Villar (Anderson, Rojas)
Cooper, H. Ramirez (Brinson)
Berti, Sierra, Brinson, __________
Anderson (Sierra, Brinson)

That roster makes sense to me. Not sure who that blank line is though. Can also option Brinson to AAA and keep Dean/Rule V pick on the roster. Probably best for him to play everyday and we can hope he starts getting it eventually.

Also, I can easily see two Rule V picks making this roster to replace Wallach (maybe - https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa875573&position=C) and optioning Brinson to AAA, along with a veteran CF lefty to chip in.

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
You need to offer the long term contracts to the young and in their prime FAs, but it's another pair of shoes if what you want was just mediocre ones.

FishFan95

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
Can also option Brinson to AAA and keep Dean/Rule V pick on the roster. Probably best for him to play everyday and we can hope he starts getting it eventually.

Also, I can easily see two Rule V picks making this roster to replace Wallach (maybe - https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa875573&position=C) and optioning Brinson to AAA, along with a veteran CF lefty to chip in.
Marlins can't participate in the rule 5 draft with a full 40 man roster. They would have to DFA someone to make room before the draft.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Marlins can't participate in the rule 5 draft with a full 40 man roster. They would have to DFA someone to make room before the draft.
That’s a non issue. There is some deadweight on there with Keller and Kinley

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Is it possible that we signing both Garcia and Dickerson if we don't sign Castellanos ?

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Is it possible that we signing both Garcia and Dickerson if we don't sign Castellanos ?
Seems excessive considering how many outfield options we already have. Solidify one outfield spot and then have everyone else compete for the other two spots and the backup roles.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Seems excessive considering how many outfield options we already have. Solidify one outfield spot and then have everyone else compete for the other two spots and the backup roles.
Yes, don't need them.

They need a longterm right handed bat who will be a stud in 2022 still, or just a cheap veteran lefty to help Berti/Sierra/Brinson in CF.

Alfaro, Aguilar, Isan, Rojas, Villar, Cooper, and Anderson are all gonna play. Unless a Castellanos/Ozuna type player knocks Cooper or Aguilar out of playing time, it's CF and P help here on out.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I feel like Conley has been a "tweak" away for years now, though.
Absolutely. I just feel you put him on Houston or Oakland, and all of sudden he's great. I'm not sure what's missing, but the Fangraphs article is encouraging for him.

I think he gets until the Super 2 deadline and then all bets are off. Sink or swim.

Marlino

Muckdog
Reaction score
Just now, deep pronouncement from front office, "we must not get worse"

Valid

Muckdog
Reaction score
You need to offer the long term contracts to the young and in their prime FAs, but it's another pair of shoes if what you want was just mediocre ones.
This isn't even remotely true. Plenty of good players sign short-term deals.

Seems like you're thinking of guys like Cole and Rendon, who were never realistic options for us anyway.

FishFan95

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
Absolutely. I just feel you put him on Houston or Oakland, and all of sudden he's great. I'm not sure what's missing, but the Fangraphs article is encouraging for him.

I think he gets until the Super 2 deadline and then all bets are off. Sink or swim.
I feel like Conley is a new organisation away from becoming the next Brad Handrew Miller.

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
This isn't even remotely true. Plenty of good players sign short-term deals.

Seems like you're thinking of guys like Cole and Rendon, who were never realistic options for us anyway.
Castellanos wants the long term contract, too.

FishFan95

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score

Been seeing a lot of stories like this on Rojas and Diaz as well. Exciting stuff!

Latest posts

Top Bottom