What's new

Wes Helms' comments on Scott Olsen

Strike 3

Muckdog
Reaction score
Miami Herald

CHATTER

? Philadelphia and ex-Marlins infielder Wes Helms, on Marlins pitcher Scott Olsen's short temper (he shouted at Chase Utley during Tuesday's game): ''He's got to learn to pitch and not show guys up. It's uncalled for. That attitude won't be respected by anyone.'' And this message needs to ''come from the manager'' -- not teammates -- Helms said.

I would have expected Wes Helms to come out of the dugout in more of a peace making role as a veteran who was a Marlin last season. IMO, publicly telling the manager what he needs to do is a bit uncalled for.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Scotty is young and has a firey personality. But I have noticed a change in Olsen's behavior since his first two years. Which is good. Before he would get pissed if a bug flew his way now he just shakes it off (sometimes).

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
and because DTrain stood up for him, the next game during BP, only Jimmy Rollins would even say "whats up" to Train.

things were getting heated even before Train pitched

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
if Olsen can channel his personality, i think its a tremendous positive for this team and for himself...

not everyone should have his firey attitude, but for those who have it, ala Josh Beckett...it can be a benefit if used productively and respectfully...if Scotty figures it out he'll be fine...

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
Lets not forget though that if we werent all Marlins fans, we would despise Olsen.

He's young and brash and he stirs it up. I like watching him pitch cause its highly entertaining but no one should be shocked that Helms and company don't like him

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Lets not forget though that if we werent all Marlins fans, we would despise Olsen.
Absolutely.

Strike 3

Muckdog
Reaction score

He's young and brash and he stirs it up. I like watching him pitch cause its highly entertaining but no one should be shocked that Helms and company don't like him
Yeah, I definitely agree with you too. The same could be said about a lot of players.

farmer_fran

Muckdog
Reaction score
I had a feeling Helms' gestures during the "brawl" were directed towards Olsen. It looked like he was telling Miggy to tell Olsen to watch himself.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
...that and Willis wanted to go fight everyone in the parking lot

GoMarlins2435

Muckdog
Reaction score

:whistle

Strike 3

Muckdog
Reaction score
Every time I read or hear that it makes me laugh. That and him telling one of the Phillies (was it Helms?) "you're all talk." I just picture walking out to the parking lot and encountering this rumble. :) He said he had lots of voicemails from friends saying they had never seen him so angry. He had a sense of humor about it.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
If Utley and Olsen got into a fight I think about 99% of fans of the 28 other teams would root for Utley. Olsen is way up there in the a-hole meter.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm a Marlins fan and I already don't like him. :whistle

anotherrealfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Umm, lets not forget, this is Wes Helms, no one's leader. His first starting gig, he really should get his average above the .260's first. Yea, I stand behind my guys-Scotty is not some doped up, steriod using, cheating, pit bull fighting, wife beating athlete that does not deserve his fans support (and those other a-holes still have their teammates and fans support them). He is a fiery young kid who wants to win. A young team needs the fire, they have not been thru the rigors long enough to approach the game in a business like demeanor. Utley tried to play games with Scott and Scott reacted an bit out of the baseball norm. So someone please tell me why Lieber threw behind D-Train? Maybe I don't like Scotty if he plays for someone else, but he plays for us and as long as his fire is directed with passion towards winning, unlike Burnett when he was here, I stand behind him and not with Wes Helms or Utley.

Bucklin12

Muckdog
Reaction score
If Utley and Olsen got into a fight I think about 99% of fans of the 28 other teams would root for Utley. Olsen is way up there in the a-hole meter.

Utley's an A-hole too, a lot of fans don't like him... they would probably like him more if he wasn't on the Phils, though.

marlinsfan75

Muckdog
Reaction score
if Olsen can channel his personality, i think its a tremendous positive for this team and for himself...

not everyone should have his firey attitude, but for those who have it, ala Josh Beckett...it can be a benefit if used productively and respectfully...if Scotty figures it out he'll be fine...
Exactly what I was thinking as far as his personality being like Josh's. I remember hating his cockiness and how he showed people up sometimes but the great pitching makes it all tolerable. Hopefully Scotty can do the same.

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
did anything happen? broken up?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
no, cooler heads prevailed

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
no, cooler heads prevailed
I doubted they'd done anything. We would have heard about it. I'm definetly glad they didn't do anything, or they have a hefty fine/suspension.

Top Bottom