What's new

What catchers are out there

sdg210

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of talk about centerfielder when we have a good one in Aza (he's just injured). What we need is a catcher considering both Olivo and Treanor can't hit if their lives have depended on it. The two year experiment is over with Olivo he's not the answer. Any suggestions on who we should get?

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score
just as long as we get rid of the ding and dong combination we have now I
really don't care who it is.

Reaction score
marlins arent in a race to get anywhere. id imagine LAA can part ways with Jose Molina, they have a young core of catchers coming up.

Also, have to see what happens with Michael Barret, maybe the cubs explore options from yesterdays doings.

kansas city are always sellers, maybe they throw out jason larue.

catchoftheday

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of talk about centerfielder when we have a good one in Aza (he's just injured).

he has a week and a half worth of major league baseball under his belt, how is he good?

he had a hot streak ...

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
Baker has been doing well, just a matter of time until he gets called up.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
There are no available catcher's on the market outside of Jarrod Saltalamacchia who would cost the farm

Reaction score
There are no available catcher's on the market outside of Jarrod Saltalamacchia who would cost the farm

did u just call all the mlb teams. some teams have 3 catchers. there are catchers out there im sure. not that its what the marlins should do.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score

did u just call all the mlb teams. some teams have 3 catchers. there are catchers out there im sure. not that its what the marlins should do.
Yes, I did.

No good catchers.

Feel free to go through and list some of the good catchers on the market that could be had. I'd love to see a list.

Reaction score
Jose Molina, LAA
Angels have 3 catchers on the 40 that are younger than him. Napoli is the future.

Sal Fasano and Jason Phillips, Tor
Blue Jays will get Zaun back next week and have 3 catchers, Im sure none would like to be sent down to minors.

Michael Barret, CHC
Not sure how the Cubs react to yesterday, but they said disclipine will be taken, why not shifting Barret somewhere.

D-Backs have 3 catchers, Robby Hammack perhaps
Synder is the future catcher for ARZ

Mike Leiberthal, LAD

John Buck and Jason Larue, KC
they always are shoppers. Larue is on mlbtraderumors.com as available.

Javy Lopez, FA
always did good at Dolphin Stadium

Free Agent Catchers 2008
Michael Barret

Theres a list, and I would like Jose Molina, Javy Lopez and Jason LaRue for 2/3 season.

Not saying the marlins are making moves, but thats what could happen.

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score
Friends don't let friends trade for Michael Barrett. Remember all those nice plays that Olivo makes while guarding the plate, or doing anything that a catcher should do? Barrett does none of those. He is easily one of the dumbest players I've ever seen on a baseball field, and you may not think thats a big deal until he makes so many stupid plays that one of our pitchers will have to beat the lights out of him.

flasportsfan88

Muckdog
Reaction score
Am i they only one who throws up in my mouthj to Barret throwing out 5 runners a season

Am i they only one who throws up in my mouth to Barrett throwing out 5 runners a season

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Jose Molina, LAA
Angels have 3 catchers on the 40 that are younger than him. Napoli is the future.

Sal Fasano and Jason Phillips, Tor
Blue Jays will get Zaun back next week and have 3 catchers, Im sure none would like to be sent down to minors.

Michael Barret, CHC
Not sure how the Cubs react to yesterday, but they said disclipine will be taken, why not shifting Barret somewhere.

D-Backs have 3 catchers, Robby Hammack perhaps
Synder is the future catcher for ARZ

Mike Leiberthal, LAD

John Buck and Jason Larue, KC
they always are shoppers. Larue is on mlbtraderumors.com as available.

Javy Lopez, FA
always did good at Dolphin Stadium

Free Agent Catchers 2008
Michael Barret

Theres a list, and I would like Jose Molina, Javy Lopez and Jason LaRue for 2/3 season.

Not saying the marlins are making moves, but thats what could happen.

Didnt you say we want a "good" catcher? We need someone young not old and gray. First, we need to see what Baker and Hayes can do. I would love to get Salty but he will cost us A LOT!

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score
Am i they only one who throws up in my mouthj to Barret throwing out 5 runners a season

Am i they only one who throws up in my mouth to Barrett throwing out 5 runners a season

Most people here just look at Barrett's offensive numbers and assume that he is valuable because of them.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ramp, are there any minor league catchers out there who are pretty good?

AJxAcex34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Thats the worst list of players (FORGET CATCHERS) out there. Sal Fassano LOL. Treanor is a better hitter. The only good player there is John Buck that would cost a lot to get. I'd cant stand Olivo but he is better then all those guys on that list except Buck.

There a reason javy lopez is not playing anymore (he cant catch)

I would love to see baker get a chance

btw Salt played today for the braves. They are trying to find another position for him and are trying him at first base because they mcann

sdg210

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of talk about centerfielder when we have a good one in Aza (he's just injured).

he has a week and a half worth of major league baseball under his belt, how is he good?

he had a hot streak ...

You're right and that is more than i can say for Olivo or Treanor. Aza is our solution for centerfield LT which we don't have at catcher at this point.

btw Salt played today for the braves. They are trying to find another position for him and are trying him at first base because they mcann
They should try him at 3rd and move Chipper to 1st. Salty has a strong arm and Chipper has always been terrible defensively at the hot corner.

Remember all those nice plays that Olivo makes while guarding the plate, or doing anything that a catcher should do?
Umm no. Aside from his "wicked awesome arm", its hard to find one redeemable quality Olivo has defensively as a catcher.

Hes a career .266 hitter in the minors and a former rule V pick who had more than likely was a product of most MLB pitchers having no clue whatsoever who he is. Calling him "good" is a large stretch, as is calling him "bad". But what some might term mediocre or just plain average in regards to his MiLB performance, a handful of at bats doesnt attest to what he is capable of.

Top Bottom