What's new

What's up with our injuries

vinivedivichi

Muckdog
Reaction score
Cabrera's strained side, Jacobs' thumb bruise, Julio's strained calf, Hermida's bruised knee that's kept him out over a month...what's the deal with these guys? They need to toughen up a little.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
They don't need to toughen up, it's just bad luck. It happens.

vinivedivichi

Muckdog
Reaction score

Well let's hope we don't run into additional bad luck like bee stings or stubbed toes...

Marlins Expert

Muckdog
Reaction score

Well let's hope we don't run into additional bad luck like bee stings or stubbed toes...

You forgot the pitcher side: Nolasco, Miltre, Johnson, and Kensing :thumbup

MarlinsFan7

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know I'm gonna get blasted for this, but I've been playing ball since I was four years old, that's about twenty years, and of course I'm not comparing myself to these guys, but I know what it feels like to have a strained muscle or a bruised thumb. And I agree with vinive, these guys need to toughen up. I see cabrera in the dug out laughing and horsing around when he should be out there playing. I haven't forgotten that these guys play 162 games, but come on...suck it up. Even though championships aren't won in April, we can definately fall out of the race for good. We need these guys in the game.

vinivedivichi

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know I'm gonna get blasted for this, but I've been playing ball since I was four years old, that's about twenty years, and of course I'm not comparing myself to these guys, but I know what it feels like to have a strained muscle or a bruised thumb. And I agree with vinive, these guys need to toughen up. I see cabrera in the dug out laughing and horsing around when he should be out there playing. I haven't forgotten that these guys play 162 games, but come on...suck it up.

Exactly - especially when you know half the roster is already out. Take Sanchez today; he knows our bullpen is decimated, but he leaves the game early with tightness in his hamstring? Give me a break. I really don't like the general feeling I get from this team thus far...WAY too nonchalant.

Libelula

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know I'm gonna get blasted for this, but I've been playing ball since I was four years old, that's about twenty years, and of course I'm not comparing myself to these guys, but I know what it feels like to have a strained muscle or a bruised thumb. And I agree with vinive, these guys need to toughen up. I see cabrera in the dug out laughing and horsing around when he should be out there playing. I haven't forgotten that these guys play 162 games, but come on...suck it up. Even though championships aren't won in April, we can definately fall out of the race for good. We need these guys in the game.
Have you gone through the wear and tear of playing 162 games in like 6 and a half months?

You guys are seriously ignorant if you think they should "toughen up".

Unless you're kidding. Which I hope you are. >_>

vinivedivichi

Muckdog
Reaction score
Have you gone through the wear and tear of playing 162 games in like 6 and a half months?

You guys are seriously ignorant if you think they should "toughen up".

Unless you're kidding. Which I hope you are. >_>

Very insightful...

MarlinsFan7

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm not kidding! And no I haven't played 162 games in 6 1/2 months...but I have played through a strained hamstring, a tight back, a sore ankle, and all those other minor injuries and I can tell you that if I can do it, any one can. It's really not that hard. All these players should take notes from D-Wade. A freaking DISLOCATED SHOULDER didn't keep him out from contributing to his team.

juanpierre

Muckdog
Reaction score
Playing everyday through injuries will only worsen the injury. We will need these guys later on in the season, so it is better to rest them now.

vinivedivichi

Muckdog
Reaction score
Playing everyday through injuries will only worsen the injury. We will need these guys later on in the season, so it is better to rest them now.

That's only true to an extent. Playing through an injury causes it to linger longer, but it's not like it progressively gets worse until it's debilitating. Also, if you used that philosophy for every bruise or bump like these guys seem to be doing, you may play in 30-40 games total.

Beinfest4Prez

Muckdog
Reaction score
People played through injuries when their livelihoods were dependent on it.

They don't play through injuries like those now because they are expensive investments.

Its ridiculous to suggest that Cabrera is too p***y to be out there because of his strained oblique. Hes not out there because he is a 7.4 million dollar investment of Jeffrey Loria's money. And he is one of the few people that provides some manner of draw to come see the Marlins or buy Marlins merchandise. Let's just say that his injury develops into a tear. Then you'll be ranking on the powers that be because they didn't hold him out.

Spend 7.4 million on something and then see how much your opinion changes.

Cabrerafan

Muckdog
Reaction score

I completely agree with Gonzalez not playing Cabrera these past 2 games. Cabs wanted to play yesterday (Friday) and there's no doubt he wanted to be in the game tonight, but why take the chance? We're only 3 weeks into the season. Wouldn't you rather see Cabrera miss 3 games and heal completely rather than play this weekend and end up reinjuring himself and being out a month? Remember: Pujols missed a whole bunch of time last year with a similar injury and Mike Hampton is expected to be out for a while as well. It's just not worth it. If the Marlins were in September, Cabrera would be playing no doubt. This was the manager's decision and it's a good one.

VNYB

Muckdog
Reaction score
What does a bruised thumb turn into when you keep playing?

Well If you can't grip the bat that creates a problem. Jake played nearly the whole year with a bad ankle. I hope your not saying he is being a sissy. He has shown to play when not 100%. It must be bothering him when he grips the bat. A day off or two wont kill anyone.

CrimsonCane

For those who advocate the "toughen up" strategy, there's something that y'all ought to keep in mind. I have no doubt that you have played baseball through injuries. However, you forget that there's a big difference between the level of competition that exists at the major league level and whatever level you played ball at. Major leaguers are rarely afforded the opportunity to get away with a mistake. A pitcher leaves a pitch out over the plate, and that pitch ends up as a souvenir for someone in the stands. The fact of the matter is that baseball at any level other than the major league level allows players to get away with alot more mistakes because the quality of play isn't as good.

So for all of you who say, "Hell, I pitched when my hamstring was cramping up," just think for a moment that you're also not pitching to Ryan Zimmerman. Sanchez may have been able to keep going, but why risk having him make a mistake due to his pain and put us in position to lose our 7th straight. What do you gain from that? Knowledge that our team is "tough?"

The same goes with the hitters we have on the disabled list. There's a difference between wanting to play (and I have no doubt that all of our guys on the DL and bench want to be out there) and being healthy enough to contribute at a major league level.

FlummoxedLummox

What does a bruised thumb turn into when you keep playing?
The team doesn't invest in playing time, it invests in PRODUCTIVE playing time. What good is it if they play injured only to be less productive and remain injured? It's better to have diminished production from a bench player over a short period of time while the starter rests and recovers, than diminished production from a starter over a long period of time while the starter plays and doesn't recover.

Fallen Apple

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think this is a little bad luck dont rush the guys. I mean its not like Cabs and Jake or alot of our guys stay on the DL for to long. I dont believe we have more than two people on the DL for 2/3 of the season. On the bright side Julio isnt playing. :thumbup

Top Bottom