What's new

Where does the '03 Marlins IF defense rank

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
..in terms of all-time?

With the defense I'm seeing this year, it really makes me appreciate the defense from our last WS team.

Where would Pudge, DLee, Luis, Bass and Mikey rank in terms of all-time best defensive infield unit?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I would think it's direct competitor would be that awesome Mets infield of like 99?

Olerud, Ventura, Ordonez and somone...

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score
They gotta rank pretty high. Mike lowell was gold glover, Pudge was a gold glover,
so was Derrek Lee and Luis Castillo. Gonzo should have a few of them but he
gets overlooked cuz of his crappiness at the plate. They should definitely be
top 10.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's crazy to think that the worst defensive player on that infield may have been Alex Gonzalez.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is the only thing that makes me think we might not be WS contenders for another 3-4 years. Our defense is atrocious, and I am not sure we can be legit WS contenders without at least an above average defense. And, I may be wrong, I think it takes longer to develop into a good defender than other facets of the game.

catchoftheday

Muckdog
Reaction score
im not sure of all time but defenately number one in my heart

:wub:

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
And, I may be wrong, I think it takes longer to develop into a good defender than other facets of the game.

Nah, 9 times out of 10 you hear of drafted/low level players "ML ready glove."

Good defense isn't necessarily teachable, it's all about that first step, and you either have it, or you don't.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
And, I may be wrong, I think it takes longer to develop into a good defender than other facets of the game.

Good defense isn't necessarily teachable, it's all about that first step, and you either have it, or you don't.

So does that mean our defense will always suck?

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score

So does that mean our defense will always suck?

Hahaha, I hope not.

I think that there are tools for Miggy and Hanley to improve if they get their "ole" plays out of the way. Olivo seems like a lost cause to me, though.

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
I couldn't say how they rank all-time. I never saw any of the infields from 1900-1965. I can only read about these players and look at stats. As far as infields that I have seen, since 1965, they would rank #1. All around excellence. A joy to watch them turn those highlight reel double plays. As much as pitching is the key to a team, I think that the infield defense that year was the thing that got us to the World Series. Well, that and Bartman.

Alex22

Muckdog
Reaction score

You can't really teach picking up the ball out of a pitchers hand or identifying the ball in that split second on the way to the plate.

Defense is usually the part that comes last for a young stud like Hanley for example, and is probably the easiest to teach. Look how much Olivo has improved over the last season, sure he is still average/below average with the glove but you can't deny he has gotten better. Alfredo has improved greatly in CF as has Reggie.

Hanley will improve with time, so will Miguel if he decides to get his head in the game.

marlinsfan75

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is the only thing that makes me think we might not be WS contenders for another 3-4 years. Our defense is atrocious, and I am not sure we can be legit WS contenders without at least an above average defense. And, I may be wrong, I think it takes longer to develop into a good defender than other facets of the game.
I agree with you here. Really the past two years have been the worst in quite awhile. I think and hope they will get better but it may be with other teams by then. We have a pretty potent offensive infield though when everyone is healthy.

Top Bottom