What's new

Who did you root for?

OldSand

Muckdog
Reaction score
I had just recently moved to the States for the first time and did not follow baseball pre-Marlins.

You?

SHUfishfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I lived in Connecticut till 1995 and am the product of a Red Sox Father so I naturally rooted for the Red Sox.

Real_Teal

Muckdog
Reaction score
I grew up in Florida as a Yankees fan which I inherited from my mom. Began following the Marlins as my NL Team since they play in my home state.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
I didnt follow baseball until 1993, in fact I used to hate it before we got a team.

isd71

Muckdog
Reaction score
I followed the White Sox since there AA team was in my town and though I'm a Bama fan they had 2 big Auburn football names in Big Frank Thomas, who played TE his freshman year, and Bo Jackson.

fanofthefish

Marlins Historian
Reaction score
Growing up in Winter Haven the former spring training home of the Red Sox, the Sox moved to Ft. Myers for ST in 93 the same year the Marlins showed up so it was easy to switch teams. The Sox are still my AL team.

MrAndMrsFish

Mr. Minor League
Reaction score
growing up in Miami, i was a NYY fan before 1993 due to them training in Fort Lauderdale

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
Orioles, still root for them, even though it's becoming hard with Angeles as owner.

Real_Teal

Muckdog
Reaction score
growing up in Miami, i was a NYY fan before 1993 due to them training in Fort Lauderdale

I remember going to Ft. Lauderdale to see NYY Spring Training too. That was before Steinbrenner built the facility in Tampa. Also went to Vero since my dad was a huge Dodgers' fan.

Jimmy42Jack0

Muckdog
Reaction score
i didnt really have a favorite team...although "major league" gave me a reason to always the check the indians score...but i was a big fan of ruben sierra, steve sax, george brett, and tony gwynn back in the day

SoFlaFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
My uncle lived in Illinois, so it made me a rabid Cubs fan in the 1980s! I cried when the ball went through "Bull" Durham's legs in the 1984 NLCS and then again when Don Zimmer removed Mike Bielecki in 1989 to have Mitch Williams face Will Clark in the NLCS. I taped the first "official" night game at Wrigley Field (8/9/88) vs. the Mets and loved it when the Bleacher Bums spilled beer all over Lenny Dykstra during that historic event (remember, folks, the first ever night game at Wrigley on 8/8/88 vs. Philadelphia was rained out, making the next night vs. the Mets the first "official" night game!).

I was teased as a kid for being a Cub fan. All of the neighborhood kids would wonder why I rooted for such a loser. They were all Mets, Yankees, and Dodgers fans. But I held my own, and still to this day, consider Ryne Sandberg and Rick Sutcliffe two of my favorite baseball players of all time!

EndLine

Muckdog
Reaction score
Did not follow baseball before '93. I was only 5 at the time. I'm curious to know how those who are younger than me (Cape, B4P) rooted for a team before the Marlins unless you were from out of state.

Lefty

Muckdog
Reaction score
Orioles, still root for them, even though it's becoming hard with Angeles as owner.

Braves
Ok kids, I'd like to know how you had a favorite team at the tender age of 3 or 4 :mischief

Top Bottom