What's new

WHO MIGHT BE ABLE TO REPLACE HOLLANDSCRAP?

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
Hollandsworth hasn't earned his 1.5mil (or whatever it is he signed on for)..He is abyssmal at the plate...If the Marlins are still in contention in another month or so and they are serious about winning....Who would qualify as a suitor to replace TH?...or should someone be promoted from the Farm???
I honestly think they need to have a Plan B at LF..Williams is not every-day and Banks is struggling at the plate....

question.

vinivedivichi

Muckdog
Reaction score
At this point I think my grandmother is a viable candidate to replace Hollandsworth :D

All kidding aside, what about Abraham Nunez?? Last I heard he was playing pretty well in the minors, and he certainly couldn't hurt our team any more than Hollandsworth. He could play CF and we could move Pierre to LF for throwing purposes. Probably won't happen but it definately wouldn't hurt. Anyone know what happened to millar??

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
gimme a little time on this....

but cyggy....

when asking the question next time to make it stand out more make it like this...

question

There has to be a suitable replacement though.

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
a replacement in left field for hollandsworth could be robert stratton, chad allen, or abe nunez. i dont think g.williams is an every day starter.

you take your pick but i'm not ready to bench him yet.

1. he's battin a decent .250 ( compared to alex gonzalez .200 season when he was down in the .180's i dont see it so bad. i mean yea he isnt hitting great but dont bench the guy yet.)

2. hollandsworth plays tremendous defense over in left field. he hasnt made an erro yet he is doing fine.

3. he was never a 30-100 GUY. EXPECT NO MORE THAN .270 15 hr's and 50-60 rbi's

4. those numbers above arent pretty good for a number 8 hitter.

just wait it out and give him a chance.

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
but cyggy....

when asking the question next time to make it stand out more make it like this...

question

There has to be a suitable replacement though.
sowwy

lol

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
J-Rod,

my concern is about in another month or 2...

maybe I should re-think my question as follows:

Should the Marlins make a trade before the July dead-line to bolster offense from the LF position if Hollandscrap doesn't improve? Or bring up from the farm system?

question

Seriously, if Hollandscrap would at least make his outs count by advancing runners or something, then great his hits will be bonuses...But, right now HE BRINGS NOTHING TO THE PLATE ....wasted at-bat/rally killer

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Its very hard to answer to answer a question about July in April. The answer will be much clearer then based on how bad the situation is in LF then and where we are in the standings.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have no idea who's available out there... but I prefer to see someone else play LF.. can't stand Hollandsworthless..

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
there's no right or wrong answer here, voice your opinion!

I think they should at least have someone ready to go in case TH really gets worse...It's like PW syndrome again except PW occasionally got lucky and launched one when he wasn't striking out

vinivedivichi

Muckdog
Reaction score
JROD-

I think just looking at the stats for Hollandsworth sells our point short. I would certainly be willing to accept .250 from him considering the alternatives, but he is giving us no productivity. When he's not striking out (which seems like 90% of the time) he is hitting into a DP. He can't move runners over, and he's gotta be like 0 for 10 (with 10 k's) with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 out. He also has no clue how to bunt.

He helps us on defense, but he at least has to accomplish the little things at the plate for us. I would go for Banks over Hollandsworth right now. At least he can make contact in key situations. I would not be surprised to see Holly lose his spot (temporarily) within the next couple of games if he does not show improvement.

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
I agree, give Banks a few starts...he might raise his average with more consistent at-bats instead of coming in late for 1 at-bat..tough to get a rhythm going there..and Banks can make contact

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
I remeber when some of us were posting that the LF job should go to whoever playing best and at the time it was Abe Nunez.Most of TH supporters were quick to respond on TH side.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Again if Nunez could hit....

He is the starter.

But I dont know what the hell is the current situation with him.

Right now, I try out what you currently have on your roster, that would be

Brian Banks

Its still too early to think about cutting someone and/or making a trade. This is really your most logical solution.

Answer

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
ah, what the hell...

just sign Rickey.... he'll get the job done in the 8 hole

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
TH should play against righties with Banks/Williams picking up some AB's against lefty starters. Holly's numbers versus left-handers is atrocious.

The reality of the situation is that Holly will be getting the majority of AB's as our LF. Hopefully, some hard work with Bill Robinson will result in a dramatic improvement at the plate.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I remeber when some of us were posting that the LF job should go to whoever playing best and at the time it was Abe Nunez.
when was this??

I was in favor of Hollandsworth starting this season over Nunez, yes. But that was before this terrible start. Also I was in favor of keeping Al Martin and possibly platooning him with Todd after the spring that Martin had. Nunez had already shown he couldn't hit. I'd like to see Banks get some starts. Maybe platoon him with Hollandsworth if this keeps up. Maybe Banks needs to start a game or two to get his swing going, some guys just don't hit off the bench well...

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well said Hotcorner.

Banks showed a lot of promise in Spring Training and deserves a chance. The thing that has bothered me has been when Gerald Williams has started over Banks. Williams should be a defensive replacement and the personal pinch runner for Redmond/Castro - nothing else.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
I remeber when some of us were posting that the LF job should go to whoever playing best and at the time it was Abe Nunez.
when was this??

I was in favor of Hollandsworth starting this season over Nunez, yes. But that was before this terrible start. Also I was in favor of keeping Al Martin and possibly platooning him with Todd after the spring that Martin had. Nunez had already shown he couldn't hit. I'd like to see Banks get some starts. Maybe platoon him with Hollandsworth if this keeps up. Maybe Banks needs to start a game or two to get his swing going, some guys just don't hit off the bench well... Nunez was showing he could hit but the injury set him back.I even said let Brian Banks start at LF because he was the hot hitter.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Marlins should Release Williams and call up Nunez.Give Brian Banks some playing time if that doesnt just try Abe Nunez.

Top Bottom