What's new

Who's like Jackie

biglumber24

Muckdog
Reaction score
Many analysts think that there is not a player who possesed Jackie Robinsons combination of defense, baserunning, and pure hitting skills. I disagree though! There are many players in todays game that are just as or even more of a complete player than JR. Just on the top of my head I would say Vlad Guerrero, Carlos Beltran, and Alex Rodriguez. Any thoughts?

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Today, A-Rod, Jeter, Craig Biggio (of a few years ago), Barry Bonds of the 90's, Griffey Jr. of the 90's, Vlad. Probably more.

I'd say all of those guys are at least as good as Robinson was and a few of them are plenty better. There's been a lot of players who have been better than him in their careers, but there's maybe one or two in the history of the league who have had the same overall impact as he did. Maybe Clemente has had as much of an impact while still being as great a player.

Mets_bs

Muckdog
Reaction score
Many analysts think that there is not a player who possesed Jackie Robinsons combination of defense, baserunning, and pure hitting skills. I disagree though! There are many players in todays game that are just as or even more of a complete player than JR. Just on the top of my head I would say Vlad Guerrero, Carlos Beltran, and Alex Rodriguez. Any thoughts?

All of those players hit for way more power than Jackie. Personally, and Vin Scully has said it as well, Jose Reyes is closest thing there will be to another Jackie Robinson.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think it's impossible to compare players now to players then.

Even announcers who saw the last of the old guard will tell you how much it's changed just in their lifetime.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
A comparison can be made, but it would never be black and white due different eras. I think you need to think in terms of Who does similar things?, and look beyond stats and look for attributes and averages at it relates to the league.

Think high speed, high OBP, and above average power. Very rare combination, btw.

I'm thinking Roberto Alomar and Ricky Henderson

I don't think Reyes is there yet

Mets_bs

Muckdog
Reaction score
Remember Reyes is still only 24 (jackie was 28 during his rookie season) and made huge strides last year in getting on base. But I agree with the alomar and henderson comparisons.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Remember Reyes is still only 24 (jackie was 28 during his rookie season) and made huge strides last year in getting on base. But I agree with the alomar and henderson comparisons.

Age is why I think is not fair to compare Reyes to Jackie.

Reyes is probably a more physically gifted player when compared to Robinson (certaintly above Alomar, and on par with Henderson) . . .

Reyes has the tools to be better or similar to Jackie, is just too early to tell.

In addition . . . OBP is a big component, and Reyes is not dominant in that category yet. I don't watch Reyes every day, so I'm not sure if he is likely to develop and be dominant on that area. Robinson was consistent top 3 or 5 OBP in the league during his tenure.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
It seems like every single article written on ESPN.com is about someone on the Mets. Reyes is the Jackie Robinson of our generation. Wright is the greatest 3B of all time. Beltran is God's gift to the 5 tool player. Ramon Castro is the greatest living backup catcher. Pedro Martinez can strike people out from the disabled list. Paul Lo Duca is a player.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Just like Yankee fans think everything is about the Red Sox

Red Sox fans think everything is about the Yankees

etc.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score

Age is why I think is not fair to compare Reyes to Jackie.

Reyes is probably a more physically gifted player when compared to Robinson (certaintly above Alomar, and on par with Henderson) . . .

Reyes has the tools to be better or similar to Jackie, is just too early to tell.

In addition . . . OBP is a big component, and Reyes is not dominant in that category yet. I don't watch Reyes every day, so I'm not sure if he is likely to develop and be dominant on that area. Robinson was consistent top 3 or 5 OBP in the league during his tenure.
Reyes is walking a lot more so far this season and every year he has improved in that. If he maintains his current walks pace I think he'll end up in the top 5 in MVP voting.. and deservedly so.

Mets_bs

Muckdog
Reaction score
It seems like every single article written on ESPN.com is about someone on the Mets. Reyes is the Jackie Robinson of our generation. Wright is the greatest 3B of all time. Beltran is God's gift to the 5 tool player. Ramon Castro is the greatest living backup catcher. Pedro Martinez can strike people out from the disabled list. Paul Lo Duca is a player.

You think you're tired of hearing about David Wright? He just extended a 23 game hit streak this evening. If that continues, get ready for David Wright all the time, the media loves hitting steak.

Top Bottom