What's new

Why are we playing the Red Sox?

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why are we playing the Rex Sox tonight and not the Devil Rays? Aren't the Devil Rays our "natural" rivals? I don't get it - the Braves should be playing Boston tonight and we should be playing Tampa.

What gives?

:mischief2

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
we traded with the Braves this year

why? i have no freakin clue

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Marlins-Braves-Devil Rays-Red Sox, did a big trade where the Marlins play the D-Rays in one 3-game series and the Sox in one 3-game series. The Braves play the D-Rays in one 3-game series and the Sox in one 3-game series. It was done to help all the teams because the natural rivalries were terrible for all involved.

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
It was done to help all the teams because the natural rivalries were terrible for all involved.
What's wrong with the rivalries? Tampa and Florida makes perfect sense and the Atlanta Braves/Boston Braves connection isn't that far fetched. Who wouldn't want to see the Braves & Sox play again?

It really seems like the Marlins are getting screwed big time. They don't even get to capitalize on the attendance boost from having the Sox play in South Florida. At least the Devil Dogs get the Braves in Tampa.

I don't buy your argument Capefish.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
It was done to help all the teams because the natural rivalries were terrible for all involved.
What's wrong with the rivalries? Tampa and Florida makes perfect sense and the Atlanta Braves/Boston Braves connection isn't that far fetched. Who wouldn't want to see the Braves & Sox play again?

It really seems like the Marlins are getting screwed big time. They don't even get to capitalize on the attendance boost from having the Sox play in South Florida. At least the Devil Dogs get the Braves in Tampa.

I don't buy your argument Capefish. It wasn't my argument Malman, the ticket offices used the arguments and won against the MLB schedulers.

g8trz2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Cmon now. We lucked out. The Rays suck. The Braves have to play one of the toughest teams in the AL. It aint fair.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
just reporting the facts, i don't take a side on this issue. Let's just play ball and win. I don't care who it is.

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Cmon now. We lucked out. The Rays suck. The Braves have to play one of the toughest teams in the AL. It aint fair.
That's not the point. The rivalries series should remain the same each year. How about the Yankees - they get to place the last place Mets six times - talk about lucking out!

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
it may not be that bad, if we beat the bosox, we will get a lot of respect. if we beat the d-rays people will just say "it was just the devil dogs"

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd rather we sweep the Rays again and the Braves lose a couple in Boston!

g8trz2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
the Mets dont luck out!

It's never going to be fair, but this is a way of making the schedule better. Yah it sucks that we dont get the pansy schedule of playing the Rays 6 times, but it is a lot more fair to play 3 against the Rays and 3 against the Sox, and same with the Braves. What is there to complain about? We get to play the 2nd crappiest team in the AL 3 times...thats more than most in the NL can say!

g8trz2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
wouldnt we all...but the world doesnt revolve around the Marlins.

It isnt fair to other teams in the division.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
last year i don't think the braves lost against the red sox in the series. the d-rays are scrappy and pose a bigger threat against the complacent braves than the red sox.

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
RedneckGator - your logic is flawed -

the other teams are playing their natural rivals six times regardless of their positions in the standings - Seattle gets San Diego, Houston gets Texas, Philly gets Baltimore six times.

We should be playing Tampa and Boston should be playing Atlanta this weekend.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
BTW, as part of the trade and since we play the AL West, we get to play Milwaukee three times this year.

g8trz2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
RedneckGator - your logic is flawed -

the other teams are playing their natural rivals six times regardless of their positions in the standings - Seattle gets San Diego, Houston gets Texas, Philly gets Baltimore six times.

We should be playing Tampa and Boston should be playing Atlanta this weekend.
so, our division is more fair than the others, then!

Why complain? For baseball, it makes the most sense.

All the Brave fans complained last year because we got to play the Rays, and they had to play the Red Sox. It wasnt fair. I was happy we played the Rays, but it wasnt fair.

Baseball doesnt revolve around the Marlins. So we play the Red Sox. Suck it up.

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
last year i don't think the braves lost against the red sox in the series. the d-rays are scrappy and pose a bigger threat against the complacent braves than the red sox. Congratulations CapeFish -

You have made the most asinine post of the day. It will be hard for the rest of your cohorts to top this one.

Keep up the great work!

:blink:

Top Bottom