What's new

Why the Marlins continue to be the smartest team in baseball...

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
The cheapest team doesn't mean the smartest. I think the Yankees in the past year have been the smartest.

Lurker344

Muckdog
Reaction score
The cheapest team doesn't mean the smartest. I think the Yankees in the past year have been the smartest.

No

Kind of hard to say who the smartest team is until October...compare this seasons records to last, percent increase/decrease in payroll relative to performance, etc.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think it's a tremendous fallacy to call the team that is the most competitive with the lowest payroll the smartest. As is, there's no way the Marlins can operate under their current business model and afford this team in 2009.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Marlins' success is more a tribute of outstanding scouting and shrewd trading, however organization-wise the business model has many flaws and is still an item for debate. I say Beinfest is more the reason for all of the accolades that the Marlins have earned...BTW any organization that maintains David Samson as it's President is not really that smart

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think it's a tremendous fallacy to call the team that is the most competitive with the lowest payroll the smartest. As is, there's no way the Marlins can operate under their current business model and afford this team in 2009.
sure there is!
we'll just still not have a stadium deal in place then.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
The statement at the end about the first fire-sale directly leading to our 2003 WS win is incorrect. Few of the players acquired in that fire sale turned out to be anything, and the list is pretty short. Derrek Lee, Braden Looper, and a few minor guys are about it.

Here's the breakdown of our 2003 team and how they arrived:

Note: The first Fire Sale happened in late 1997/early 1998. It basically ended after the Sheffield, Bonilla, and Eisenreich deal to the Dodgers (May 1998).

C- Pudge (FA)
1B- Derrek Lee (Kevin Brown deal- 1998)
2B- Luis Castillo (Farm System)
SS- Alex Gonzalez (Farm System)
3B- Mike Lowell (Minor league trade- 1999)
RF- Juan Encarnacion (Trade- 2002)
CF- Juan Pierre (Trade- 2002)
LF- Miguel Cabrera (Farm System)
LF- (half of season) Todd Hollandsworth (FA)

SP- Dontrelle Willis (Trade- 2002)
SP- Carl Pavano (Trade- 2002)
SP- Brad Penny (Trade- 1999)
SP- Josh Beckett (Farm System)
SP- Mark Redman (Trade- 2003)

RP- Ugueth Urbina (Trade-2003)
RP- Braden Looper (Trade- 1998)
RP- Chad Fox (FA)

sdg210

Muckdog
Reaction score
Funny, looks like that fire sale did lead to a majority of the personnel on the Marlins. May want to look again.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Funny, looks like that fire sale did lead to a majority of the personnel on the Marlins. May want to look again.

If you notice that isn't the 25 man roster, regular season or World Series.

Where's Rick Helling? Jeff Conine? Williams?

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
regardless, the biggest part of that 2003 title team was obtained by mr dombrowski.

thanks dave.

Top Bottom