What's new

Wiki the Pitcher...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
from espn.com
BRAVES/PADRES RECAP:
SAN DIEGO (AP) _ The San Diego Padres actually had a 3-0 lead against the Atlanta Braves, the best team in baseball, before everything went wrong.

In one of the Padres' worst games in years, slugger Ryan Klesko was beaned, a reliever was hurt warming up in the bullpen and catcher Wiki Gonzalez pitched the ninth inning in mopup duty as San Diego was routed 15-6 on Thursday.

``It's tough dealing with all the injuries and the way things are going and you have your cleanup hitter laying there on the ground,'' manager Bruce Bochy said. ``It's a scary moment there.''

Klesko was taken to a hospital for X-rays.

``It looks like he's going to be fine,'' Bochy said.

A fastball from rookie left-hander Horacio Ramirez caught part of Klesko's face and the right side of his batting helmet leading off the fifth inning.

Klesko, a left-handed hitter and a former Braves star, was knocked to the ground. Trainer Todd Hutcheson held a compress to Klesko's head, then helped the woozy player off the field.

The Braves were leading 10-3 at the time, after rallying for eight runs in the fifth. Ramirez appeared upset and put his glove over his head.

``I pitched him away the whole game and I just wanted to throw one in and go back away, but it kind of slipped,'' Ramirez said. ``I didn't try to hit him at all. I opened up a little bit too much and the ball just ran.

``You hate to see that. It was scary for me.''

Ramirez wasn't the only one feeling upset.

``Everybody was. He's one of our guys,'' Braves manager Bobby Cox said. ``I found myself running on the field.''

Klesko was replaced by pinch-runner Xavier Nady, and two batters later, Sean Burroughs hit a two-run homer.

Padres pitcher Jaret Wright hit Chipper Jones in the back, right between the numbers, on his first pitch of the sixth inning. Plate umpire Jim Reynolds warned Wright and both dugouts.

Atlanta improved to 28-13, the best record in the majors.

The Padres (13-28) lost for the 15th time in 18 games and are tied with Milwaukee for the NL's worst record. The Padres and Brewers came into the day just 2{ games ahead of Detroit for the worst record in the majors.

San Diego's bullpen is so taxed that Gonzalez moved from catcher to pitcher in the ninth. Clay Condrey was warming up during the Braves' fifth-inning rally but strained a ribcage muscle that probably will put him on the disabled list.

``It gets to a point now where you don't have options on who you can pitch. It's who's available,'' Bochy said. ``It's hard to win games like that.''

Gonzalez had pitched once in rookie ball, in 1994.

``Coaches were asking, `Who can pitch?' I came by and said: `Let me do it,' `` Gonzalez said.

He retired Marcus Giles _ who was 4-for-6 with a homer and three RBIs _ and Gary Sheffield, then walked Jones. He got Andruw Jones to fly out on an 87 mph fastball, earning a standing ovation from what was left of the crowd of 15,818.

``I was trying to put a little on it,'' Gonzalez said of his last pitch. ``But you know, I do what I can. I'm glad I got the inning.''

Giles had a two-run homer and three RBIs. Andruw Jones also had a two-run homer and three RBIs. Chipper Jones reached base six straight times, including four walks.

Trailing 3-2 going into the fifth, the Braves sent 12 batters to the plate and scored eight runs on seven hits, two walks and a sacrifice fly.

Even Ramirez (3-2) got into the action, hitting a one-out RBI single and scoring on Rafael Furcal's sacrifice fly.

Julio Franco's one-out triple over the head of center fielder Shane Victorino gave the Braves a 6-3 lead and chased Padres rookie Roger Deago (0-1), making just his second start.

Giles hit an RBI double, Gary Sheffield and Mark DeRosa had RBI singles and Andruw Jones an RBI grounder.

Giles hit a two-run homer in the seventh, his sixth.

Ramirez pitched five innings, allowing five runs, three earned, on five hits. Deago allowed seven runs and six hits in 4 1-3 innings, struck out six and walked five.

The Padres took a 3-0 lead through two innings, when they had just two hits but benefited from two Braves errors, three walks and a passed ball.

Burroughs drove in three runs.< ^Notes:mad: Ramirez walked four and struck out three. ... The Padres have gone 13 straight games without a starter pitching into the seventh inning. They haven't had a starter reachthe eighth since the sixth game, on April 5, when Brian Lawrence pitched eight to beat the Dodgers 3-0.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Clay Condrey was warming up during the Braves' fifth-inning rally but strained a ribcage muscle that probably will put him on the disabled list.
See this is what happens when you over use pitcher.. wasn't he in one of the Marlins vs. Padres game and he threw like 120+ pitches...

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Whew 87 MPH to Andrew Jones! Thats very good for Wiki. I cant believe a pitcher got hurt warming up. Like DT said he was overused and and may have been landing wrong Causing him to strain that rib Cage

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
have you ever seen Pudge throw the ball back to the mound? Imagine what we could clock him at... My guess: 88-90 MPH, seriously.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
My guess: 88-90 MPH, seriously.
Maybe because it really depends on your Pitching Mechanics since Wiki was a pitcher he has good mechanics. It really depends on your mechanics to throw hard, but if he had good mechanics he would throw 88-90

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well yes, but have you seen him? He would have a good fastball as a pitcher...lol... The next Michael Terjera :mischief2 ? lol

Top Bottom