What's new

Will McKeon sit Pudge down?

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Now there's something to ruminate on. Sitting Pudge down for a week and letting Castro play will not hurt the Marlins offense one bit the way Pudge is swinging the bat these days. While his ego (and it's ego that makes him the great player he is) would say no, after the number of years in MLB he's had, I hope Jack sits him down and gives him a rest.
I think part of it is the beating Pudge has taken recently behind the plate. Anyone who's been watching the games know he's had one injury after another. There's no indiginity in taking a break, I know it's not the macho thing to do but if Pudge wants to help this team, and I think he does, he needs to get well SOON.
A healthy Pudge who's swinging the bat the way he was earlier in the year would change the entire demeanor of the Marlins offense. Pudge on base means Lowell, Encarncion and Lee will be treated much differently when at bat and if Pudge is on the chances are either Pierre or Castillo will be on too. We saw a sample of winning small ball earlier this year and it all hinges on Pudge hitting (well) in the three hole.
Between Redmond and Castro, if there's one position where the Marlins can afford to sit someone down, its got to catcher.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
i wouldnt say bench him for a week, but sit him down 2 games in a row...... same with DLee

MasterChief

Muckdog
Reaction score
Mckeon should have sat him out today. Put Redmond in against the Lefty.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Give Castro a start for the love of god!!! Why is it they only give Redmond backup starts? Castro has done great at the plate in limited at-bats. Pudge needs a day or two off.

LiLLaz#8

They should let pudge sit down a few days,but d.lee has played a whole bunch of consecutive game so u can't take him out. :)

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
The plan was never to have Pudge play every game. I see no reason not give the guy an extended break right now. They have a day off coming up, it would all fall together nicely. I know Pudge doesn't want the moniker hung on him, that of "part-time" player, but I think he has to realize the game is different over here in the NL and he just can't do it (play full-time) anymore. He had hoped he could come in here (Miami) and play himself back into a big multi-year contract for 2004-05. Being a less than full-time player dimishes his opportunity to cash in for a few more years.
I'd rather have Pudge healthy for 110 games than an unhealthy Pudge for 140+. I think he's a real asset, maybe the most important one we have when it comes to leadership and you can't lead playing the way he is right.
I hope McKeon does the right thing.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
They should let pudge sit down a few days,but d.lee has played a whole bunch of consecutive game so u can't take him out. :)
who gives a crap about DLee's streak.....

dont give him the day off....BENCH HIM

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's a long streak bro. ;)
200+ games....

so what?

when the player doesnt produce, you bench him

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
who gives a rat's a** about a consecutive games streak?

lee is hurting the team more than helping.

makes no sense to keep playing him when he is not doing what he needs to do...help you win.

Latest posts

Top Bottom