Willis starts Friday V.S. Colorado

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Willis starts Friday night vs. Colorado

By Juan C. Rodriguez
Staff Writer
Posted May 7 2003

The Marlins didn't solve their starting rotation problems Tuesday, but they may have come a little closer to the solution.

General Manager Admin Beinfest ended speculation about top pitching prospect Dontrelle Willis' promotion, announcing the 21-year-old lefty would start Friday's series opener game against the Rockies.

"We have a need," manager Jeff Torborg said. "We need him."

The need stems from ace A.J. Burnett being sidelined the remainder of the season after undergoing Tommy John surgery and lefty Mark Redman fracturing his left thumb last week in Phoenix.

Redman is on the 15-day disabled list and likely won't pitch again before May 29. Michael Tejera will continue filling one of the rotation spots.

Tejera will start Saturday. Because of off days, Torborg won't need him to do so again until May 24, enabling him to pitch out of the bullpen in between.

Willis likely will stay in the rotation until Redman comes off the disabled list. If he performs well, the Marlins may opt to keep him in the rotation and move Tejera back to the bullpen.

After splitting time between Class A affiliates last season, Willis began 2003 at Double-A Carolina. In six starts, he is 4-0 with a 1.49 ERA. In 361/3 innings, Willis struck out 32 and walked nine.

"We're not asking him to be a miracle worker," Torborg said. "We saw what he did in spring training. He's a terrific athlete. He has good stuff, and the key is he throws strikes. He's a personality

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm definately going to be at that game.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'll see if I can make it.. maybe not.. but I'll try :mischief2

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I dont think im gonna make it but i will watch the game for sure! I hope he pitches well and shows torborg he can pitch at this level...

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
I hope he does well....Ive read a lot of articles that were not questioning his heart, but being skeptical of him because he is not overpowering....That he has to rely on command, hitting the corners, stuff like that...

Gee whiz, another pitcher by the name of Greg Maddux fits that description...

hmmm..DW = a LEFTY Greg Maddux???!!!!

:mischief2

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hope he does well....Ive read a lot of articles that were not questioning his heart, but being skeptical of him because he is not overpowering....That he has to rely on command, hitting the corners, stuff like that...

:w00t :mischief2

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
I would love to see PW and CJ rack up some K's against this kid...

:mischief

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score

i thought i read something that says his fastball hits 93......?

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
yea he is no power pitcher,

but more speed than maddux

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
i just hope you people dont get your hopes up too high.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
i just hope you people dont get your hopes up too high.
they are already way too high.......

IMO anything less than 6IP 3er would seem like he let us down.....

you know what I mean?

but I would take the 6ip and 3er but we have put this kid so high on the pedastal(sp?)...

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm not expecting anything dazzling, I'd just like to see him come in, throw strikes, and let the defense work behind him. If he gives up a few runs it's no big deal, just hang in there, keep the ball down, and give the team some innings. Oh, and while you're here, how about a 2-rbi double? The rest of the team can't seem to hit...

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Im just expecting a solid outing by him because we really need a win!We have lost 5 in a row and it has to end and it would be good for Willis to end it. I wont be suprised if he has a rough outing because that is normal for a rookie but we need this win today and tommorow...

Jack1

You don't have to be "overpowering" to be an effective pitcher. Two examples are Greg Maddux and Mike Mussina. The vast majority of teams have fallen in love with only pitchers who throw 95 and above. My theory is that if all of your pitchers are hard throwers and don't always hit their spots, you're gonna get hit come that second or third game in a series against one team. The batters start to tee off because they judge the speed.

Top Bottom