What's new

Willis to be relieved of one of his next few starts?

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know he says otherwise, but I would imagine that Willis had a tough time concentrating yesterday because of his child's impending birth.

I remember that Miggy sucked ass for about 2-3 weeks leading up to his daughter being born in 2005.

Hojo

Muckdog
Reaction score
Dontrell seemed focused yesterday. He really only gave up 2 HARD hit balls. (The Delgado double, and the Beltran HR). Other than that, it's his defense that let him down. Now, if Cabrera or Hanley have his baby on their mind, he might have something else to worry about. LOL

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
Dontrell seemed focused yesterday. He really only gave up 2 HARD hit balls. (The Delgado double, and the Beltran HR). Other than that, it's his defense that let him down. Now, if Cabrera or Hanley have his baby on their mind, he might have something else to worry about. LOL

LOL

I didn't see the game because Comcast messed up.

So he didn't pitch that badly? I mean, not 7ER worth bad?

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
He had a terrible game. The excuse making is ridiculous. He allowed 10 hits, 2 walks and 7 ER in 5 innings because he was terrible last night and not because of bad luck or any other excuse. The guy is not perfect and will have bad games. The only thing is that if the official scorer wasn't blind he would have allowed only 6 ER because the wild pitch should have been ruled a passed ball.

MiRi

Muckdog
Reaction score
Everybody has bad games. It happens. I believe that Dontrelle can look past what happened last night and get back to kicking ass.

Now, I didn't know his wife was pregnant. I wish them the best!

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score

You're a funny guy :D

djfunz

Muckdog
Reaction score
i think julio has officially rubbed off on everyone...i notice it seems to happen when pitchers are doing well too. scotty, mitre and now the d-train all have successive bad starts...hmmmm :whistle

Strike 3

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, Dontrelle is not using the baby as an excuse. I'm sure it's difficult to put it completely out of your mind.

Here's the Herald's story.

Miami Herald

Anxious Willis rocked by Mets
John Maine came within nine outs of a shutout to hand Dontrelle Willis -- whose wife is expecting their first child at any moment -- a rare April loss.
BY CLARK SPENCER
cspencer@MiamiHerald.com

Dontrelle Willis was the one whose wife was expecting a baby at ``any minute.''

But it was New York Mets pitcher John Maine who looked like he was in the biggest hurry to get out of Dolphin Stadium on Wednesday, carrying a no-hitter into the seventh inning before losing it on a soft single by Miguel Cabrera.

''They scored some runs early,'' Willis said of the Mets, who scored four runs in the first en route to a 9-2 victory. ``But the way the kid Maine pitched tonight, they didn't need much.''

Willis refused to blame his sluggish outing Wednesday on his wife's pending delivery of their first child. But Willis, who brought a 3-0 record this season and an 11-2 lifetime mark against the Mets into Wednesday's start, was clearly not himself. He gave up eight runs on 10 hits in only five innings.

Certainly he was nowhere near as dominant as Maine, who was bidding to become the first Mets pitcher ever to toss a no-hitter, remarkable considering that the Mets have been around since 1962 and over the years have featured such pitchers as Tom Seaver, Dwight Gooden, Nolan Ryan and David Cone.

CABRERA SNAPS SLUMP

Maine, 25, came within nine outs of making franchise history. But Cabrera, who turned 24 on Wednesday, broke an 0-for-12 slump by swatting a 1-2 pitch into shallow right-center field to end the drama.

''We didn't need that,'' Cabrera said of a no-hitter.

Marlins pitchers have thrown four no-hitters in the brief existence of the franchise. And they've been no-hit once, by the Dodgers' Ramon Martinez in 1995.

Maine put a no-hit scare into the Marlins by spotting his fastball and making the Marlins hitters chase his high fastballs for swinging strikes.

But he was also ringing up a high pitch count -- 77 pitches after five innings -- to leave in doubt whether he would have managed to go nine innings had Cabrera not broke up his bid with his leadoff single in the seventh.

Though Maine said he wasn't thinking of no-hitter when he took the mound in the seventh, he thought he could have lasted nine if given the opportunity.

''I don't want to come off the mound regardless of what happens,'' he said.

Neither does Willis. But manager Fredi Gonzalez had no choice but to remove Willis after the left-hander had thrown 102 pitches in five innings. Willis was erratic. He walked a pair of batters, hit another and uncorked a wild pitch that produced a Mets run.

But he wasn't solely to blame for his first poor performance of the season.

ERRORS

Cabrera and shortstop Hanley Ramirez each contributed first-inning errors that factored into the rough start. The first six Mets hitters each reached, and the first four of those ended up scoring.

''We didn't make plays,'' Cabrera said.

Said Gonzalez: ``Being down four runs at the get-go, it was an uphill battle.''

The Marlins brought the highest team batting average in the majors (.288) into the game but managed to produce only three hits all night.

After Cabrera broke up Maine's no-hitter, Joe Borchard followed three batters later with a 439-foot home run to center. That spoiled any chance Maine and the Mets had for a shutout. But the blow only put a minor dent into the score as New York struck for 17 hits.

''You give extra outs to this lineup and you're pitching in trouble,'' Gonzalez said of the fielding miscues that added gasoline to the Mets hitting attack.

But Willis said the impending birth of his first child had nothing to do with his outing. He said his wife's only instructions to him when he left for the park on was to ``have fun.''

Willis didn't have any, and when he checked his e-mail to see if there were any messages from his wife waiting for him, there were none.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
one start? possible.

a couple of starts? very unlikely, unless there is something wrong with the baby.

This guy has some serious money, coming his way. He can hire help, etc.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
He had a terrible game. The excuse making is ridiculous. He allowed 10 hits, 2 walks and 7 ER in 5 innings because he was terrible last night and not because of bad luck or any other excuse. The guy is not perfect and will have bad games. The only thing is that if the official scorer wasn't blind he would have allowed only 6 ER because the wild pitch should have been ruled a passed ball.

A little harsh. How often does a starter endure TWO first inning errors? That coupled with the fact that the ground balls were finding ALL the holes made for a rough outing. Did he have his A-game? Nope.

Do the Mets have a monster line up? Yup.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score

A little harsh. How often does a starter endure TWO first inning errors? That coupled with the fact that the ground balls were finding ALL the holes made for a rough outing. Did he have his A-game? Nope.

Sometimes a bad pitching line doesn't reflect how a pitcher really pitched but in this case I'm afraid that it does but at least the official scorer corrected his mistake and changed the wild pitch to a passed ball so another of the runs became unearned.

BroncoBob27

Muckdog
Reaction score

Agreed on the little harsh. And no surprise Polo would find a way to off handedly bash Treanor. But I do agree with him that any pitcher has to endure a bad game from time to time. And with his first child so close to being born it is no surprise that his mind was a little preoccupied. Any parent could tell you that happens. Going against a line up like that you have to be able to fully concentrate and be on your "A" game.
That was definetly a team loss. DTrain didn't look good. The entire IF defense was sloppy. And the bats were quiet once again. What's funny is how ANYONE can even remotely point fingers at Julio. Exactly how people were pointing fingers at Reggie last year when our bats were quiet.

Top Bottom