What's new

World Series To Start Midweek This Year

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
In an effort to boost sagging ratings for the World Series, Major League Baseball will announce Monday that the 2007 Fall Classic will start on Wednesday instead of Saturday, USA Today reported.

A Wednesday start will allow baseball to avoid playing on Friday, which is TV's second-least watched night after Saturday. If the Series goes to a Game 5, it also would go head-to-head with ESPN's Monday Night Football.

According to USA Today, Game 1 will be scheduled for Wednesday Oct. 24. If the Series goes to a Game 7, it will be played on Nov. 1, the first time baseball has scheduled a World Series game in the month of November.

It won't be the first time a Series game has been played in November, however, as the Yankees and Diamondbacks played into November 2001 after the season was delayed after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11 of that year.

MLB president Bob DuPuy told USA Today that baseball considered starting the World Series on a Tuesday, but that would mean a Series game would be played on a Friday, and avoiding a Friday night game was a priority for the league.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2869747

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
They need to have a day game in the WS

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
They need to have a day game in the WS

The only problem with that is that they would go head to head with college football on saturday and nfl on sunday.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the day game past the Division Series.

Trey05Marlins

Muckdog
Reaction score
Not too bad. I didn't know the Friday night thing was a big deal. I would have thought Friday and Saturday night were about the same. I would like to see a day game in the World Series. Sunday would be the best fit. I doubt they wuold do it, however.

Top Bottom