What's new

WQAM dumps Fish: Marlins Radio Co. open for business

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's time to go to the game but this is simply potentially the biggest news in Marlins history after the 2003 world series.

The potential here is almost incalcuable if 790 is willing to make the kind of commitment they've made for football to baseball. To me, it's second only to a new stadium.

Gotta run. Go Fish!

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
My thinking is this could easily increase Marlins radio revenue by 50-100%. That would be very good.

Add on top of that the promotion and ability to have a proper flagship that doesn't hate on the team for existing.

bocajon

Muckdog
Reaction score
WAXY drops to about 10 watts after sunset. :thumbdown

Real_Teal

Muckdog
Reaction score
I wish the Marlins would get radio coverage in Jax. Sometimes I would rather listen to a baseball game than watch it. Personally, baseball is the best sport to listen to without TV. It is not as fast moving as football, basketball, or hockey so it is easy to follow on radio.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
It isn't about the money from radio revenue and it isn't about WAXY's wattage come nightfall, the latter easily mitigated by adding outlets to the broadcast "network".

It's about finally, ala WEEI or the "home" of just about any major league baseball team's radio outlet offering baseball fans a venue and forum for the discussion of the team and the game that isn't run, hosted and programmed as it ignore the Marlins as much as possible and when they do speak about it, it is almost certainly to be by a baseball-loathy former NFL steroid user you hates the game of baseball and knows even less about it than yourgrandmother in Peoria.

We've all heard an Alezegary slip when he says in a momentary lapse, "let's get back to football. My producer says no more baseball talk..." or Boog limits his Marlins baseball talk to the absolute minimum, making a cursory comment here or there,or asking Peter Gammon one, maybe two Marlins incredibly general questions and then goes on to every other team on the planet.

You give baseball a real forum in market and you'll finally see baseball, especially Marlins fans come out of the closet and be heard. It's Wayne Huizenga's worst nightmare. We have to know Wayne is going to doeverything he can to keep 790 on a string just like he did QAM. I loathe the guy, but I respect him too. He's brilliant at thisstuff, but then again he holds all the cards.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
My checklist for a potential Marlins flagship radio station:

1) Cash (Have enough to keep afloat and pay the Marlins)
2) Format (Sports Radio is a must according to Samson)
3) Signal (Not a lightbulb)
4) Network (Have the ability to quickly assemble a large network)
5) Promotion (Talk shows and promos for the team)

1) WQAM, WAXY and WIOD have the dinero.
2) WQAM and WAXY are sports radio stations, WIOD does carry the HEAT and was once the sports station of record.
3) All 3 have excellent day signals, but WQAM has the best potential to be heard at night by a hair. (WAXY and WIOD are still good night signals)
4) WQAM is the incumbent, WIOD is owned by radio giant Clear Channel, and WAXY has put together some impressive Dolphins Radio Networks the last 2 seasons.
5) All 3 can promote, but WIOD has a ton of other sister stations to promote the team on. WQAM is meh as we have seen since 1993. WAXY has the ability to be Marlins Radio 24/7 if they wanted to.

I still think WQAM will be the one to either keep or dump the Marlins...but if they dump the Marlins....that will be the end of WQAM.

The WEEI argument doesn't hold in most MLB flagships.

Arizona Diamondbacks: KTAR (newly Sports)
Atlanta Braves: WGST (Newsradio)
Baltimore Orioles: WHFS-FM (Talk)
Boston Red Sox: WRKO (newsradio shares with WEEI-sports)
Chicago Cubs: WGN (newstalk)
Chicago White Sox: WSCR (sports)
Cincinnati Reds: WLW (newstalk)
Cleveland Indians: WTAM (newsradio)
Colorado Rockies: KOA (newsradio)
Detroit Tigers: WXYT (sports)
Florida Marlins: WQAM (sports)
Houston Astros: KTRH (newsradio)
Kansas City Royals: WHB (sports)
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim: ESPN Radio 710 (sports)
Los Angeles Dodgers: KFWB (news)
Milwaukee Brewers: WTMJ (newstalk)
Minnesota Twins: KSTP (newstalk)
New York Mets: WFAN (sports)
New York Yankees: WCBS (news)
Oakland Athletics: KFRC (Podcast Radio), KIFR-FM (talk)
Philadelphia Phillies: WPHT (talk)
Pittsburgh Pirates: WPGB-FM (newstalk)
San Diego Padres: XPRS (sports)
San Francisco Giants: KNBR (sports)
Seattle Mariners: KOMO (news)
St. Louis Cardinals: KTRS (sports)
Tampa Bay Devil Rays: WHNZ (infomercial radio)
Texas Rangers: KRLD (news)
Toronto Blue Jays: FAN (Sports Radio)
Washington Nationals: Washington Post Radio (newstalk)

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
BTW, compare night signals between 560 and 790:

560 WQAM @ 1,000 watts night

790 WAXY @ 5,000 watts night

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
If you think Wayne Huizenga is going to allow so much as one second of Marlins programming on QAM when the Dolphins move back to QAM you need to rethink what you wrote above. Staying with QAM is the worst possible option imaginable. You've seen how badly they've treated the Marlins without the Dolphins, it gets worse from here.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
WQAM is meh as we have seen since 1993.
My comments on WQAM's Marlins promotion.

If you think Wayne Huizenga is going to allow so much as one second of Marlins programming on QAM when the Dolphins move back to QAM you need to rethink what you wrote above. Staying with QAM is the worst possible option imaginable. You've seen how badly they've treated the Marlins without the Dolphins, it gets worse from here.
But the Marlins could move to Clear Channel and do better in terms of promotions than WQAM.

CC could promote the Fish on 610, 940, Y-100, 94.9, The Beat, Love 94, and Big 105.9 with ease.

790 is leased from Lincoln Financial, which also owns 101.5 and 102.5....but they don't have access to those for promotional purposes without buying the time.

It think it would be cool if Clear Channel made 94.9 into an FM News/Talk/Sports station with the Marlins as the center. They did it in Pittsburgh with the Pirates and an FM there. Braves also have the situation in Atlanta with their FM flagship, The Bull.

http://www.wpgb.com/
http://www.bullatlanta.com/main.html

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
I personally don't care of they move as long as it's away from QAM.

I wonder how you CC think (and believe me I agree they have themarketing the Fish need) going private is going to change the landscape here when they start selling off pieces to finance the purchase.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I personally don't care of they move as long as it's away from QAM.

I wonder how you CC think (and believe me I agree they have themarketing the Fish need) going private is going to change the landscape here when they start selling off pieces to finance the purchase.
WQAM has a good signal, but they are losing ratings.

CC is only selling small market (aka the Florida Keys group) and television stations.

I don't think they will sell any of their Miami, Palm Beach, Fort Myers, Orlando, Jacksonville, or Tallahassee stations.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
For best frequency and largest audienceship they should stay in WQAM

You mean where they have a choice of either being totally ignored or insulted on a daily basis?

No thank you.

Does this mean I will be able to listen to the games online on the Tickets website?

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score
But the Marlins could move to Clear Channel and do better in terms of promotions than WQAM.

CC could promote the Fish on 610, 940, Y-100, 94.9, The Beat, Love 94, and Big 105.9 with ease.

i think THAT is something HUGE. get a bunch of free ticket contest going, fill some empty seats.

i barely ever hear Marlins commercial on the radio.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
If Clear Channel dumps the Mega format off 94.9 and replaces it with something like music...or if they move WIOD's Newsradio format to FM....the Marlins could easily find a home at Clear Channel.

I hope Clear Channel at least gets in this horserace.

They have been cleaning house over in Miramar.....alot of letting go's.

Pirates, Clear Channel move article: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06256/721380-63.stm

Top Bottom