What's new

Yankee Stadium To Host 2008 All Star Game

HeatFanNY

Muckdog
Reaction score
The following is from ESPN.com written by Buster Olney:

Yankee Stadium will be the site of the 2008 All-Star Game, sources in baseball said, in the last year of the ballpark.

The new Yankee Stadium is scheduled to open in 2009, and old Yankee Stadium closed, 86 years after the ballpark was first built in 1923, and 33 years after the ballpark was remodeled on the same site in 1976. With the All-Star Game slated to be in an AL park in 2008, officials chose Yankee Stadium for the site, believing it to be an appropriate way to usher out the historic building.

The All-Star Game has been held in Yankee Stadium three times previously, the last time in 1977.

An announcement on the selection of Yankee Stadium is expected in the days ahead, perhaps next week, with Major League Baseball coordinating with the Mayor's office in New York.

Next summer's All-Star Game will be played in San Francisco, and on Monday night, Commissioner Bud Selig formally announced that the 2009 All-Star Game will be played in St. Louis.

Great news to hear if you are a Yankees fan. I have many fond memories of Yankee Stadium. I am going to be so sad the day it gets knocked down.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
I am glad they are having it at the old one and not the new one.

Meh, it's a below average place to watch a game...

true, but its still yankee stadium...

yandro

Muckdog
Reaction score
I am glad they are having it at the old one and not the new one.

Meh, it's a below average place to watch a game...

true, but its still yankee stadium...
Yes, it would be nice to have the ASG one last time at Yankee Stadium before it goes away. The Cardinals are getting it for 2009.

It would be interesting to find out what the requirements will be to be for NY and St. Louis fans to able to purchase the tickets to the festivities. I know that for the ASG this year in SF the Giants were only making the tickets available to season ticket holders who sign on for 2007 AND 2008 season ticket packages!

markotsay7

Since MLB has a tradition of giving the ASG to new ballparks...do you think that new Yankee Stadium will be the host a few years after old Yankee Stadium?

Fish4Life

Muckdog
Reaction score
Since MLB has a tradition of giving the ASG to new ballparks...do you think that new Yankee Stadium will be the host a few years after old Yankee Stadium?

Yea I def think so, thats why I thought having it at the old one before it closed down would kind of suck because they would get the it again in the new one...

But oh well, Old Yankee Stadium it is

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think they will have to wait a while. The mets are also getting a new stadium and they would go before the yankees. Also if the marlins get a stadium hopefully by 2010, then we will probably get one before the yankees do again.

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
And yet the Marlins still haven't hosted an ASG.....
we're not getting one until the new stadium. why would they want to have an all-star game at DS?

furcalchick

Muckdog
Reaction score
the a's and twins will be in line for all star games in the next few years, with their stadiums opening up. also, the angels haven't had one since angel stadium was renovated 10 years ago. royals haven't seen one in a long time. devil rays won't get one until they get a real stadium.

the padres, dodgers and d'backs are all due for all star games, especially arizona, considering they haven't had any in their history. the cubs i don't see getting an all star game for a while, since the south side just had one a few years ago. the reds will be getting one with their new ballpark, so will the mets and nationals and phillies possibly. the marlins will have to wait until they get a new stadium though. dolphins stadium is a good place for a super bowl, but an all star game in the middle of the summer heat, no thanks.

on that i see the angels getting the 2010 edition with the royals being a dark horse and the 2011 game being up for grabs between arizona, cincy and washington, with the phillies, dodgers and padres all longshots. the mets will probably have to wait until at least 2015 for theirs. don't want too much all star in new york too fast.

BasesLoadedWalk

Muckdog
Reaction score
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yan...ports-headlines

Major League Baseball and New York City will hold a news conference on Wednesday, Jan. 31st, to officially announce Yankee Stadium as the site of the 2008 All-Star Game, Newsday has learned.

New York City Michael Bloomberg and baseball commissioner Bud Selig are expected on site. Yankees principal owner George Steinbrenner doesn't plan to attend, The Boss' spokesman Howard Rubenstein said today.

Top Bottom