Yankees acquire Trammell from Padres for White

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Credit: ESPN.com news services

Wednesday, March 19
Yankees obtain Trammell for White in outfielder swap
ESPN.com news services

TAMPA, Fla. -- Outfielder Rondell White was traded Wednesday by the New York Yankees to the San Diego Padres for outfielder Bubba Trammell and minor league left-hander Mark Phillips.

"It's good and bad. I'm going to miss the guys,'' White said. "I had a chance to play with a group of Hall of Famers. I didn't want to leave New York. I wanted to come back and prove what I can do.

"It's a business. I'm getting a chance to play every day. I think I'm an every day player.''

White, 31, was a disappointment in his first season with the Yankees, getting hurt during spring training and failing to regain his swing until late in the season, when he was injured again. He batted .240 with 14 homers and 62 RBI.

New York had little room for him following the signing of Japanese star Hideki Matsui, who figures to be play left field alongside center fielder Bernie Williams and right fielder Raul Mondesi.

With the Padres, White will take over in left field from Phil Nevin, who had shoulder surgery and will likely miss the season.

"This gives us a proven corner outfielder who is also a good offensive player,'' Padres general manager Kevin Towers said. "He's a guy who will fit in the middle of our order and give (Ryan) Klesko some protection.''

Phillips was the ninth overall pick in the 2000 amateur draft. He was 10-8 with a 4.19 ERA at Class-A Lake Elsinore of the California League. Phillips struck out 156 in 148 1/3 innings, leading the league with 94 walks.

Trammell, 31, batted .243 with 17 homers and 56 RBI last year.

White makes $5 million this year and is eligible for free agency after the season.

Trammell, a former New York Met, makes $4.75 million in 2003, and his contract has a $4.75 million team option for 2004 with a $250,000 buyout.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
In other news I actually posted something from this year :eek: :D :lol :rolleyes: :mischief :mischief2 :w00t :whistle

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
That was actually a good move. The Padres really needed power since Nevin is gone....the padres made a good move there..

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
That was actually a good move. The Padres really needed power since Nevin is gone....the padres made a good move there..
who hit more HR last year... White or Trammel?.....

so this wasnt a power move now was it?

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score

so this wasnt a power move now was it?
It was more of a "saving some money" move...

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score

so this wasnt a power move now was it? That was just one season ramp...White has lots of pop....it was also a money move but it was a good trade...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score

so this wasnt a power move now was it? That was just one season ramp...White has lots of pop....it was also a money move but it was a good trade... :banghead
since 2000, who has more HR?......

Rondell White

Bubba Trammel

for those lazy ones who dont want to click the link... i'll tell you:

Rondell White:44
Bubba Trammel:52

for you non-math majors, Trammel hit 8 more HR since 2000......

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
for those lazy ones who dont want to click the link... i'll tell you:

Rondell White:44
Bubba Trammel:52

for you non-math majors, Trammel hit 8 more HR since 2000......
hmm.. 52 - 44 = 8? :mischief2

Latest posts

Top Bottom