What's new

Yet ANOTHER option gone

Reaction score
I was up late tonight and i saw on the bottom line that Buster Olney reported that the A's and OF Shannon Stewart came to terms for a one year contract.

Marlins lose another possible OF canidate and it appears were going to go from within.

sorry no link or article yet, but im sure one will be coming...

:thumbdown

this is the article from mlbtraderumors.com

A's Sign Shannon Stewart

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the A's have signed outfielder Shannon Stewart to a one-year deal that could reach $2.5MM with incentives. If Stewart can overcome plantar fasciitis in both feet, he can fill Jay Payton's role as Oakland's fourth outfielder. It's a strong need given the fragility of Mark Kotsay and Milton Bradley.

Stewart, who turns 33 later this month, earned $6.5MM in 2006. PECOTA sees him hitting .276/.332/.383 in 335 plate appearances this year, finding him most similar to the 1987 version of Gary Ward. Another good comp is Brady Clark. ZiPS expects .275/.341/.392 from Stewart in 373 PAs.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Shannon Stewart was never a legitimate option in centerfield for the Marlins.

Why someone would think he was is beyond me? The guy hasn't stepped foot in centerfield in six or seven years.

mr_eob

Muckdog
Reaction score
Never expected the fish to go for this one.

miamibaseball

Muckdog
Reaction score
i donot see marlins pick up anyone because their donot have money to use i think spring lineup is set

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
He is better than what we have.
With his injuries and inability to play CF, how he better than Ross, Amezaga and Borchard?

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
With his injuries and inability to play CF, how he better than Ross, Amezaga and Borchard?

Well lets take a look at last years numbers.

Ross 269 at bats .227 average
Borchard 239 at bats .239 average
Amenzaga 334 at bats .260 average

Forgive me if I am not impressed by that.

Stewart 174 at bats .293 average
He missed alot of time last season. However 7 out of the 8 previous seasons be played 130+ games. He is also a career .299 hitter. He may not have power but he wont be an automatic out like the three options we currently have.

Fish4Life

Muckdog
Reaction score
Marlins have already stated that CF and Closer will come within'... No need to read into what CF were going to get because were not

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score

Well lets take a look at last years numbers.

Ross 269 at bats .227 average
Borchard 239 at bats .239 average
Amenzaga 334 at bats .260 average

Forgive me if I am not impressed by that.

Stewart 174 at bats .293 average
He missed alot of time last season. However 7 out of the 8 previous seasons be played 130+ games. He is also a career .299 hitter. He may not have power but he wont be an automatic out like the three options we currently have.

What don't you understand about the fact he physically is unable to play centerfield? Really, not looking for a fight here but it isn't all about his offensive skils. No one is arguing over his career he was a helluva hitter.

He has chronic problems in his feet and couldn't play CF at DS regradless of the size of his heart or his strength of character he possesses. Not to mention he hasn't played the position for six years or so. That's why we are saying he wasn't an option. Not because you're wrong but because physically he's unable to play there.

Here's how Rotoworld put it this morning:

" ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the A's and Shannon Stewart have agreed to terms on a one-year deal.
The contract could be worth $2.5 million if Stewart reaches incentives. The A's needed to bring in some additional competiton with Jay Payton gone. Stewart may no longer be able to play regularly because of his foot problems, but he could still be an asset at the top of the lineup playing three or four times per week. He'll battle Dan Johnson for at-bats, with Nick Swisher possibly alternating between first base and left field. The A's could also use Swisher in right and Milton Bradley in center when Mark Kotsay rests his sore back."

From MLB:

"Stewart, 32, has been limited by plantar fasciitis in both feet over the past three years; he played in 44 games with the Twins in 2006 and 92 games in '04."

From AP:

The Oakland Athletics have reached an agreement with free agent outfielder Shannon Stewart for a one-year deal that could be worth as much as $2.5 million with incentives, pending a physical, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney has learned.

Stewart, 32, is a .299 career hitter with 102 home runs in 11 seasons with Toronto and Minnesota. His best year came in 2000, when he hit 21 homers and drove in 69 runs for the Blue Jays.

Stewart has had plantar fasciitis problems in both feet over the past three years, limiting him to 92 games in 2004 and only 44 last season with the Minnesota Twins. The plantar fascia is a long tissue that connects the heel bone to the base of the toes.

The Twins transferred Stewart to the 60-day disabled list on Sept. 1 after acquiring infielder Phil Nevin from the Chicago Cubs for a player to be named or cash considerations.

The injury-prone Stewart is perhaps best known for sparking the Twins to a come-from-behind AL Central title in 2003 after his All-Star break arrival in a trade with the Blue Jays.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well lets just see how he does this season. I am not saying he is an all world player, I just think he is better than what we have. Anyways it doesnt matter since he just got signed.

Regardless, does anyone feel comforable with Ross, Amenzaga or Borchard as an everyday center fielder?

Reaction score
He wasn't an option.

Im going to search around today for the article. But for 2 weeks the MARLINS and STEWART were talking and someone even posted on here that we were considering him as a option. so YES he was an option. Ill prove it later

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
He wasn't an option.

Im going to search around today for the article. But for 2 weeks the MARLINS and STEWART were talking and someone even posted on here that we were considering him as a option. so YES he was an option. Ill prove it later
I think it was that Stewart was more interested in us than we were in him

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
He wasn't an option.

I think you're going to find out that Shannon Stewart (probably through his agent) "reached out" to the Marlins and not vice versa, and most likely as a courtesy to a hometown boy (and an agent they might want something from in the future) the Marlins listened and gave his client the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction score
well its over now anyway. i wouldve felt better about the team if we tried for him. he is better than what we have and he wouldve been a better idea for us.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
As much as I wished Stewart could play CF even 80 games, I suspect he can barely move out there, thus it would be better off not wasting our time with him.

And we wont even know if he could play CF anymore, for the A's have a pretty steady one out there

Reaction score
Stewart couldn't physically handle the job of an everyday centerfielder, it shouldn't even be considered a lost chance by him not coming to the Marls , as he wasn't a realistic option.

Top Bottom