What's new

Yooooouuuuukkkkk

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
There is no way he is writing most of that.

I'm sure he has input, but a lot of that is just MLB.

Nny

Muckdog
Reaction score
There is no way he is writing most of that.

I'm sure he has input, but a lot of that is just MLB.

When every player's "blog" is long, well thought out, perfect in grammar and filled with pictures and links from MLB's site, you know something is up.

FishFanInPA

Have any of you seen Alyssa Milano's dodger blog on mlb.com? Golden stuff.

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
Have any of you seen Alyssa Milano's dodger blog on mlb.com? Golden stuff.
Her blog is great!

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have a question for people who have watched the Sox alot this season:

Has anyone noticed that while Youk's is having an insane year, his walks are way down? Last year he walked 10% of the time, but now he's only walking about 7.7% of the time. But he's also cut down on the strikeouts. Any of you Sox fans see a change in his approach, or is he just swinging really well and not bothering with walks so much?

I only ask because he can't hit .350 all year, and eventually he's going to fall back down to earth and probably finish the season at .300 and if his walk rate isn't there he's much less valuable. Basically, he's going to need to hit .300 in order to be as valuable as he was last season, and judging by his history, I'm not certain he can do it. I can see him falling off big time, I just hope he starts walking again.

And Milano's blog is crap.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
No offense, but I'd have to say you haven't seen him at all this year if you say that. That final paragraph you wrote is pretty laughable as well. Not trying to be a dick but it sounds like someone talking about something they know little about.

His approach is no different this year. If anything it's better.

Of course his walk total is down, he is hitting more, doesn't mean he isn't seeing the ball as well or isn't as patient. His ABs today showed as much. Even with the 20+ game hitting streak going, he played to the pitcher and drew 2 walks in his final ABs instead of going and trying to extend his streak.

Breaking down his walk rate and saying how he won't be as valuable seems a little premature and silly when he is slugging at ~.550 and getting on base at a higher percentage then he ever has.

I wonder why someone would say, "He can't hit .350 all year".

Um, why not? Because he isn't a big name? Or a perennial all-star?

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
YOUK is probably one of the best hitters in baseball right now in reference to pure hitting. i really like the guy he has evolved as a baseball player

ShaqandWade323

Your hope that he starts "walking again" came true today, 3 walks.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
No offense, but I'd have to say you haven't seen him at all this year if you say that. That final paragraph you wrote is pretty laughable as well. Not trying to be a dick but it sounds like someone talking about something they know little about.

His approach is no different this year. If anything it's better.

Of course his walk total is down, he is hitting more, doesn't mean he isn't seeing the ball as well or isn't as patient. His ABs today showed as much. Even with the 20+ game hitting streak going, he played to the pitcher and drew 2 walks in his final ABs instead of going and trying to extend his streak.

Breaking down his walk rate and saying how he won't be as valuable seems a little premature and silly when he is slugging at ~.550 and getting on base at a higher percentage then he ever has.

I wonder why someone would say, "He can't hit .350 all year".

Um, why not? Because he isn't a big name? Or a perennial all-star?

Defensive much?

I haven't seen him at all, I was judging from a purely statistical standpoint. He is known as the Greek God of Walks, and right now he is on pace for like 77 walks, which isn't bad, but thats not what he's known for. He walked at like a 14% rate in the minors and never hit for a .350 avg. He's a career .300 hitter in the minors, which I think is a much more realistic expectation. But what made his .300 average so important was his .444 OBP.

He also Slugged .440 in the minors, which probably means that he won't be able to sustain this type of power for the whole season. I personally feel, from the very little I've seen, and from looking at his statistics, he may have changed his approach at the plate, or he may be seeing better pitches to hit. But I think he's more valuable as an On base machine, since he's never shown he could sustain this type of power stroke for a whole season.

For the record, he is seeing less pitches per plate appearance than last year, so I think it's obvious he is swinging more, which probably means he's changed his approach at least a little bit.

I did a little research, and here's a post from SoSH last week:

1. He is hitting ahead of Papi so may be seeing more fastballs and better pitches to hit.

2. He is not leading off. Leading off an inning last year, which he did 33% of the time, he was 263/352/412, this year he has lead off an inning only 20% of the time and is hitting 242/359/364.

3. He seems to be putting the ball in play more more on hitters counts or the first pitch where most hitters have their best outcomes (18.3% in 2006,22.3% in 2007).

4. He is at an age when hitters tend to break out power wise. One of arguments in favour of Youk batting 2nd as opposed to leading off is he could get out of that leadoff mentality and develop his power hitting ahead of Papi. There is no reason he should not be a 20-25 HR guy, especially at Fenway.

5. He has a high BABIP on his GB's, .312, which is well above average (5 of the hits were IF hits, more than Coco) which explains in part his high BABIP of .368 despite having a slightly lower LD rate than last year (22.0% vs 24.5%) when he had a lower BABIP (.336).

I think #5 is extremely telling, and indicates that he will probably be due for some regression before long. It's almost impossible to lower your line drive rate, increase your ground ball rate, and increase your BABIP. He seems to have been extremely lucky thus far, and that's probably going to end soon. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, and I love to see guys who actually take walks as opposed to hack at everything, but he appears to be inflated quite a bit thus far by some luck.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
None of that has much to do with your original point which was:

a. His walks are down.
b. His OBP is what makes him valuable
c. When he comes back 'down to earth' if he isn't walking like he did last year or as he is this year he won't be as valuable

The point is, he hasn't regressed from an OBP standpoint. His walk total is down simply because he is hitting the ball so well right now. I mean, that pretty much is the start and the end of the conversation. It just makes no sense to imply he isn't walking as much this year as last year when his hitting numbers are way up across the board. The two come hand in hand.

A lot of what may have been walks this year have become hits this season.

His strikeout rate is way down from last year - 12% this season compared to 21% (both very good totals) and his K v. BB ratio is 1:1 this seas as oppossed to 1.32:1 last year. So it isn't as if his patience is down, or he is hacking more because his average is up. He is just getting more wood on the bat. If he keeps his OBP anywhere near what it was last year (I fully expect that to improve as well, see below) or even if it suffers a bit if his power numbers are up his value grows.

I get irritated at the notion that he is going to see a huge downfall to his numbers. I can definitely see him batting ~.330 and getting on base at ~.400+ clip. His numbers suffered big time last year because he really hit a wall from a fatigue standpoint and was learning a new position, I expect him to stand up over the course of the season much better so looking at last year as what to expect from him is unfair and unsubstantiated.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
But from a purely statisticaly point, I'm not sure he can sustain a .330 batting average the rest of the way. He may hit .300 for the rest of the season, which would probably put him at around .315 for the year, but he's not a .350 hitter. If he was, he'd be a future hall of famer. The fact of the matter is he spent like 6 years in the minors and never once hit this well, so I don't think he'll be able to maintain this level of production. And I don't see how a guy who is hitting more, walking less, and striking out less could be not changing his approach at the plate? That sounds like a completely different approach, and hey maybe it's working for him. Maybe now he will be a career lifetime .350 hitter. But I don't think so, and if he isn't, and he doesn't get his walk rate back up and he's not able to sustain this fairly unprecedented power surge (The only time he topped .500 slugging was as a 26 year old in AAA) he won't be as valuable as he is right now, or as valuable as he could be.

This isn't a knock on him, I was just wondering what was going on because I noticed that this seemed to be an anomolous season, judging by his track record. He's never hit walked this little or hit for as much power. To me, that says he's probably going to tail off eventually, and not because he's not a good player, but because he's not this good of a player.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Very few players are mirror images of their minor league numbers - for better or for worse. The starting shortstop for your team is a great example of that.

You are looking at this in black and white terms, so I'll do the same to get this discussion on the same page.

Lets look at the things we know:

a. He is htting much better than he did last season and thus his average, on-base, and slugging percentages are all up across the board.
b. His strikeout rate is down compared to last year by 9% (21 -> 12)
c. His walk rate is down 4% (16 -> 12)

With those three facts I can form my own hypothesis for why those three things are happening.

If his walk rate is down by 4% from last year's rate but his strikeout rate is down even more from the previous year with 9%, it would seem to me his approach/eye is no different from last year and is possibly better.

If his hitting and power numbers are (way) up and the strikeout rate down a lot but his walks are slightly down I would take it to mean he is able to handle a lot more pitches then he was able to last year.

Pitches he may have taken for balls last season he is putting in to play this year (walks down) or not swinging at them as much as he was last season (strikeout rate down).

Pitches he was unable to handle last season at he is putting those into play (higher AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS), not swinging or he is fouling those off (strikeout rate down).

So my whole point is and this goes back to 'answering' your original question I would say his numbers this season compared to last season doesn't show a difference in plate approach it just means he is developing as an overall better hitter.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
It still sounds to me like he's changed his approach. I don't see why you think this is such an awful thing.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Where did I say that? You're the only one who thinks I'm angry or whatever, which I'm not at all and reading in to internet tone is a pretty useless endeavor.

I do think a 4% dip in walk rate when he is raking at the plate isn't call for concern or means he has changed his approach or down the road will wind up less valuable to the team then he was last year.

I pretty much summed up my opinion with those facts and reasoning and left my own observation/opinion of seeing 90% of the games this year and last year out (you did ask for a Red Sox fan's opinion in the matter) as that would bring a lot of perception in to it. I don't know what more you want unless you are determined that your opinion is the only opinion/fact in this and if that is the case I'll gladly exit stage left.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, obviously I'm right so this is a fairly pointless exercise. :cool

I was just asking because sometimes the stats don't tell the whole story. I think the story the stats tell is one of young Kevin Youkilis changing his approach. Your anecdotal evidence is helpful, as are your statistics, I just feel that the fact that his walk rate is something like half of his minor league rate is a concerning since even at his most productive in the minors he was more useful as a guy who gets on base rather than a guy who knocks runs in. He very well may have been underperforming in the minors, but I sort of doubt it.

Hanley's not exactly the same thing, as he was young for every level he played at, whereas Youk was fairly old for the levels, at least the last few years. 26 year olds in AAA should be able to rake if they are major league ready, look at Josh Willingham, who is a much more comparable cas.

I'm not saying he won't be as valuable to the Red Sox if he can sustain this level, I'm just thinking this level of production is probably unsustainable, and if his batting average comes down he's going to need to raise his walk rate. And he very well may. He may just be seeing more pitches to hit with Papi behind him and so he has no need to take pitches, I don't know. That is why I asked for a Sox fans opinion.

I think he's a great player who has been swinging a great bat, but his Balls in Play data is kind of telling that it may be at least partly due to some great luck.

But hey, he may just be the next .350 hitter in the majors, who knows.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have a question for people who have watched the Sox alot this season:

Has anyone noticed that while Youk's is having an insane year, his walks are way down? Last year he walked 10% of the time, but now he's only walking about 7.7% of the time. But he's also cut down on the strikeouts. Any of you Sox fans see a change in his approach, or is he just swinging really well and not bothering with walks so much?

I only ask because he can't hit .350 all year, and eventually he's going to fall back down to earth and probably finish the season at .300 and if his walk rate isn't there he's much less valuable. Basically, he's going to need to hit .300 in order to be as valuable as he was last season, and judging by his history, I'm not certain he can do it. I can see him falling off big time, I just hope he starts walking again.

And Milano's blog is crap.

You broke Kevin Youkilis, you a**hole.

Since June 1st: .245/.376/.329

Ouch...

Rdsxmbnt

Muckdog
Reaction score
he was dealing with hamstring problems for a while which may be the reason for recent struggles. Though he hasnt looked nearly as good in the #5 spot as his normal #2 spot which he finally got moved back to.

#2 spot: .338 .437 .549 .986 (195 AB)
#5 spot: .222 .315 .310 .625 (126 AB)

Top Bottom