Keep Abe Nunez!

I found this rather interesting c/o Floridamarlins.com

No. 5 for Nunez: Switch-hitting outfielder Abraham Nunez took over the club lead with his fifth home run, a three-run blast to right field in Tuesday's eighth inning.

Nunez went 1-for-4 playing center field with Pierre resting his injured finger.

McKeon said he is impressed that Nunez can hit home runs, but noted he would like to see other hits, too. He is batting .258 (8-for-31), and the homer was off Duaner Sanchez, who is out of options and probably won't make the Dodgers' Opening Day roster

No. 5 for Nunez: Switch-hitting outfielder Abraham Nunez took over the club lead with his fifth home run, a three-run blast to right field in Tuesday's eighth inning.

McKeon said he is impressed that Nunez can hit home runs, but noted he would like to see other hits, too. He is batting .258 (8-for-31), and the homer was off Duaner Sanchez, who is out of options and probably won't make the Dodgers' Opening Day roster

Hmmm, as I was saying....

Hmmm, as I was saying.... that wouldn't be a reason not to play him though.

Nunez could be every day starter for a club (Hopefully for the Fish) if he can be more consistent with his bat.He sure has the power to go along with his defense.At one point wasn't he consider to be a 5 tool prospect?

If it's power you're looking for we should have kept Robert Stratton (a little sarcasm there).

Jack is trying to tell you somethng. Read between the lines, he's telling you that the guy looks good against crappy pitchers who dish up meatballs but Jack hasn't seen anything that would convince him that Nunez can compete in the big show.

I bet Jack was furious when Nunez dribbled one in front of the mound with the bases loaded earlier in the game. That's what separates the men from the boys. If Cordero or Conine had been up you can bet they would have found a way to get the ball into the outfield. Nunez has all the talent anyone would ever want from the neck down. It's what's upstairs that isn't MLB ready.

Nunez could be every day starter for a club (Hopefully for the Fish) if he can be more consistent with his bat.He sure has the power to go along with his defense.At one point wasn't he consider to be a 5 tool prospect?

If it's power you're looking for we should have kept Robert Stratton (a little sarcasm there).

Jack is trying to tell you somethng. Read between the lines, he's telling you that the guy looks good against crappy pitchers who dish up meatballs but Jack hasn't seen anything that would convince him that Nunez can compete in the big show.

I bet Jack was furious when Nunez dribbled one in front of the mound with the bases loaded earlier in the game. That was separates the men from the boys. If Cordero or Conine had been up you can bet they would found a way to get the ball into the outfield. Nunez has all the talent anyone would ever want from the neck down. It's what's upstairs that isn't MLB ready. I'm not going to disagree becasue you are partially right but is nothing that he can get over with some playing time at MLB level.Jack could be trying to spark Nunez which wouldn't be surprise me at all.

BTW

Stratton only positive was power unlike Nunez who bring other things to the table.

Since when is 5 home runs something to scoff at? Sure, those may not be home runs but instead 2Bs, even 3Bs with Nunez's speed. Now, I am not saying this guy is the second coming of Vlad or even Eric Davis, but, Nunez HAS proven - even to you haters out there Das, Marlins2003 - that he deserves to be on the big league roster. 8 hits is still not bad and considering the inconsistent playing time he has gotten, not bad at all. Besides, here is a list of guys who ALSO have 8 hits this spring:

Conine 8/37

Castro 8/31 - 4 of those home runs!

Redmond 8/27

A Gon 5/31

So please, try and be objective here. Dont just hate on this guy. He has speed, he has power, and yes, it is not known how exactly he will fare against major league pitching. But you dont know unless you give him a CHANCE!!! I have been screaming for this guy to get a look - a LOOK - for two years now. It is his time. He has proven himself to at least get a look. McKeon is probably trying to keep Abe's ego in check or even keep others still in the race til the end.

jonny, what would give you the idea I hate the guy? A) I never use that kind of language and B) I don't hate the guy. If you read what I've said in say the last four or five substantive posts on Nunez, I've given him alot of props for his play since last July.

The fact that he may not be mentally focused enough to play for Jack, at least in Jack's mind, may be enough to jettison his career here. You've seen Jack praise young players, hold them up as go-getters, he had good things to say about Valdez today, but what did Jack say today after Nunez's HR? In so many words, "how about getting some MLB hits when they count".

You don't kill the messenger (that would be me) just because you don't like the message Jack is sending. I'd like to see Nunez succeed as much as anyone but I'm not going to fool myself into believing he's something that he's not.

Since when is 5 home runs something to scoff at? Sure, those may not be home runs but instead 2Bs, even 3Bs with Nunez's speed. Now, I am not saying this guy is the second coming of Vlad or even Eric Davis, but, Nunez HAS proven - even to you haters out there Das, Marlins2003 - that he deserves to be on the big league roster. 8 hits is still not bad and considering the inconsistent playing time he has gotten, not bad at all. Besides, here is a list of guys who ALSO have 8 hits this spring:

Conine 8/37

Castro 8/31 - 4 of those home runs!

Redmond 8/27

A Gon 5/31

So please, try and be objective here. Dont just hate on this guy. He has speed, he has power, and yes, it is not known how exactly he will fare against major league pitching. But you dont know unless you give him a CHANCE!!! I have been screaming for this guy to get a look - a LOOK - for two years now. It is his time. He has proven himself to at least get a look. McKeon is probably trying to keep Abe's ego in check or even keep others still in the race til the end.

:thumbup

jonny, what would give you the idea I hate the guy? A) I never use hat kind of language and B) I don't hate the guy. If you read what I've said in say the last four or five substantive posts on Nunez, I've given him alot of props for his play since last July.

That fact that he may not be mentally focused enough to play for Jack, at least in Jack's mind, may be enough to jettison his career here. You've seen Jack praise young players, hold them up as go-getters, he had good things to say about Valdez today, but what did Jack say today after Nunez's HR? In so many words, "how about getting some MLB hits when they count".

You don't kill the messenger (that would be me) just because you don't like the message Jack is sending. I'd like to see Nunez succeed as much as anyone but I'm not going to fool myself into believing he's something that he's not.

How about Jack is not trying to show Nunez that he already made the team so he can continue to think he has something to prove.I bet Jack real motives are to motivate Nunez not the way you interpret

Nunez has hit his 5 HRs off Seung Song (twice), Jeff Weaver, Zach Day, and Duaner Sanchez. They have a combined ERA of 6.98 this spring and have given up 11 HRs in 49 innings. I don't think Nunez can hit real regular season pitching.

He deserves a spot on the 2004 Major League roster because of the HRs, even against shaky pitching, and the lack of competition from Rios and Banks. But I don't think he's going to do anything in the majors and the way McKeon uses his bench, the #5 OF won't get a lot of playing time anyway.

He's a great athlete - that doesn't mean he can play baseball at the major league level. There is nothing in his minor league stats, other than half a season last year (his third in AAA), that indicates he can hit major league pitching. Athleticism does not mean you can hit a baseball. If it did, Michael Jordan would be playing left field for the White Sox.