Help on the way

Teal Shadow

As I told you a week ago, look at west for bullpen help. Ben Howard was the guy the fish wanted a week and half ago, but SD won't budge on getting more in return ie...A.Nunez. To get this guy for Neal is a steal by Beinfest :notworthy . Howard along with Peavy were the Padres future a couple of years back. He needs some work, but the upside is too good not trade for him. The Marlins are still looking for help, but teams want Nunez. I'll ask you this would you trade Nunez and a player for Dodgers' G.Mota? would I do it yes, but the Dodger view Mota as there future closer BUT... :whistle

Guest Juanky

As I told you a week ago, look at west for bullpen help. Ben Howard was the guy the fish wanted a week and half ago, but SD won't budge on getting more in return ie...A.Nunez. To get this guy for Neal is a steal by Beinfest :notworthy . Howard along with Peavy were the Padres future a couple of years back. He needs some work, but the upside is too good not trade for him. The Marlins are still looking for help, but teams want Nunez. I'll ask you this would you trade Nunez and a player for Dodgers' G.Mota? would I do it yes, but the Dodger view Mota as there future closer BUT... :whistle

OMG OMG OMG DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!

First of all, hi Ed!

I'd be the first one to say that historically over the last five years Nunez has been a streak-hitter, but since he came back in July the streaks have been getting longer and longer and the respites shorter and shorter.

He tore up AAA last year and then turned his winter league on its head. Now he's come into ST and set the world on fire. He's been hitting like a machine for nine solid months and it continued today.

People say he's too old to be a prospect, the kid is 27 freakin' years old and if he's the real deal he has ten good years of productive - most of them low cost - baseball ahead of him.

So what I'm getting to is, no, not right now, I wouldn't trade Nunez for anyone that didn't have the same potential. If there was second+ year reliever who had proven himself enough and was cheap enough to hold onto for at least three years, I would do it.

I wouldn't trade Nunez away for a guy who either makes too much now that we can barely afford him, or for someone on the cusp of the big paycheck. We have three of our starters plus AJ who are about to make quantum leaps in their salary ranges in 2005. Trading Nunez for a one year player doesn't seem enough to me. Others may disagree.

As for Mota, from my standpoint he has five years in and is about to become Mr. Big Paycheck. I'd like to see the Fish sign him to a multi-year contract but yeah I'd make that deal. I'd hold my nose, but yeah, we need bullpen help so desperately I guess I would.

Guest Juanky

I do think we can sign Mota long term, especially with Benitez's deal being just this year and next. Mota would then take over the closer's role. Mota is just so sick with it that I don't think you can pass this one up if you have the opportunity. Depending, of course, on who that other player in the deal would be.

Nunez seems to good to give up for a guy that we might only have for one season and that has only had one good year.

I like Mota, the guy was incredible last year, but as Marlins2003 pointed out he will be making the big bucks and he isn't exactly certain at this point just coming off a break out year.

The thing is, and I'm not changing my opinion of such a possible trade, Mota would "help" our situation, he wouldn't "fix" it. We need more than a Mota, we need at least, at the very least, one more arm after that and probably two.

So if you trade Nunez (and a player) for Mota, who do you trade next to finish the job?

The thing is, and I'm not changing my opinion of such a possible trade, Mota would "help" our situation, he wouldn't "fix" it. We need more than a Mota, we need at least, at the very least, one more arm after that and probably two.

So if you trade Nunez (and a player) for Mota, who do you trade next to finish the job?

not necessarily, let's take a look at last year's bullpen at the end of the season.

We had 3 main guys that pitched most of the pressure situations in the late innings.

Looper, Urbina, and Fox

Then you had Bump and Tejera who were not used that often and were definitely not used in the high pressure situations.

Then you had Helling who was pretty much strictly used in the long relief role.

If we can get Mota or whoever than we'd have those 3 main guys. Benitez, Fox, and Mota/whoever we can get in a trade.

From then on I'm sure 2 of the guys we have now will be able to fill the roles Tejera and Bump had last year.

As far as long relief we have so many options there it shouldn't be a problem. Remember come june Oliver will be in the pen, and that should provide a boost also.

tough to say, i'd do it in a heartbeat if mota was a bit younger

very tough, i'd be happy either way

It's all one big risk- Is Abe getting lucky, or finally living up to his billing, did Mota have one good season, or is he the next good Bullpen man, a lot of question marks, i think beinfest can give us some answers soon though

My stance remains the same. I'd hang onto Nunez until stadium issues are resolved.

No stadium = No Mike Lowell. In that case Cabrera's going to 3B and you've got an outfield spot waiting for someone. If Nunez has indeed arrived, that spot could be his.

I think that's an incredibly valid point. :thumbup

My stance remains the same. I'd hang onto Nunez until stadium issues are resolved.

No stadium = No Mike Lowell. In that case Cabrera's going to 3B and you've got an outfield spot waiting for someone. If Nunez has indeed arrived, that spot could be his.

well no stadium deal also = nothing, not just lowell. i just cant bear to even THINK about that :(

i completely agree with you

:cool

I agree with the point about possibly losing lowel down the road.

Having said that, last year we gave up two very good pitching prospects (bautista and levinski) for Jeff conine. at the time I sure thought that was a ton to give up. Now we all can look back at that and agree that it was a good move. I guess my point is you must manage your roster. Right now there is not realisticly going to be consistent playing time for nunez. Mota would make this team difficult to come back on (mota,fox and benitez). If Benitez has issues you have Mota. ( i think benitez is going to have a great season)

We can talk about how good Nunez would be with 400 more AB's or we can watch The marlins hold onto leads.

Win now! This team is ready! We lost some good players, but if guys continue to live up to their potential this team will compete for a playoff spot.

I don't want to keep on trashing Nunez, but I feel so many are still under the impression that he is the hot 23yo prospect. The guy is 27 years old, and a non-prospect. The front office is impressed with Jeremy Hermida and I wouldn't be surprised if he made his debut this September and was getting a lot of PT next year. BTW, Lowell is on record as saying he'll likely return for one more season if he contract is not renewed because the stadium deal fell through because of the glut of infielders that will be on the market this winter.