AJ Burnett news

Ramp

HOUSTON -- Some more light is being shed on the possible return of A.J. Burnett to the Marlins' rotation.

After tossing a simulated three-inning game Wednesday afternoon at Minute Maid Park, Burnett is less than a week away from seeing actual game action, albeit in a Minor League situation.

On Tuesday, May 18, the 27-year-old will pitch an extended spring game against minor leaguers in Jupiter. From there, he will start in the May 23, Single A game for the Jupiter Hammerheads at Brevard County.

If all goes well, Burnett could be activated in early June.

"It was a good day," Burnett said of his simulated game. "It went well. I threw everything I had (fastball, curves and changeups), and it felt good."

Burnett will toss a bullpen session Saturday when the Marlins visit the Cardinals.

In the extended spring game, Burnett will throw about 65 pitches. The plan is to build him up to about 90 pitches in a rehab assignment or two before he is activated.

"After getting to the 85-90 pitch count, I'll be set to go," said Burnett, who is battling back from Tommy John surgery. "This is the last mile of a marathon."

Wednesday marked the third-year anniversary of Burnett's no-hit victory over the Padres in San Diego. On May 12, 2001, the right-hander threw the 203rd no-hitter since 1900.

The way Burnett overpowered Marlins hitters, Damion Easley, Mike Mordecai, Lenny Harris and Abraham Nunez on Wednesday, prompted manager Jack McKeon to say: "He threw a no-hitter out there today, only it was a three-inning no-hitter."

Burnett said he wasn't that good. Though there weren't fielders, he said Easley and Mordecai each had what would have been a hit.

"Not too many balls left the cage," McKeon said.

so in this extended ST, will he be pitching in the Hammerheads game that night or will he be doing some pitching beforehand?

Guest Juanky

The end of Oliver!? :D

Who will be sent to AAA? Pehlps or Perisho? I'm thinking Perisho. We should just release Oliver.......we have no use for him in the BP. Agreed. I think Perisho and Phelps are both better.

The end of Oliver!? :D

Who will be sent to AAA? Pehlps or Perisho? I'm thinking Perisho. We should just release Oliver.......we have no use for him in the BP. I don't know if we'll eat Oliver's salary. Maybe we can give him to the Yankees - the only lefty they have in the rotation is Donovan Osborne and he's been about as bad as Oliver.