McKeon to shake up line-up today?

PBMarlin

From the Miami Herald:

''We'll try something different,'' said McKeon, whose team was shut out Saturday for the first time in 49 games dating to the opener of the National League Division Series in September. ``I'll figure out something [saturday night]. I'll be creative.

I'm wondering to what extent McKeon is willing to make changes. Is this going to be another one day substitution. i.e give a guy a rest?

Or is he going to make some positional changes.....i.e. Conine at 1st, Nunez in LF? Easley starting at SS?

Mu guess is it will be a one day substitution. McKeon doesn't seem inclined to depart very far from his opening day line-up.

Link to Article

I say Nunez at LF, Conine at 1B, and Easley at 2nd.

I like that idea.....

But it doesn't sound like McKeon is going to be very creative.....

From the Palm Beach Post:

Harris gets first start as Marlins' offense lags

By Joe Capozzi, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, May 16, 2004

ST. LOUIS -- Lenny Harris is baseball's all-time pinch-hits leader with 183, but he is reminded every day of the difficulty of his role.

"When you have so many pinch-hits, people expect you to get a hit every time you come up," he said. "But usually you're not getting enough at-bats (to hit well consistently). It's something I've got to deal with."

After starting the season hitless in his first 10 pinch-hit appearances, Harris has two hits in his past two at-bats after getting a single Saturday in an eighth-inning rally that fell short in Florida's 4-0 loss.

After the game, Harris was told he would be in the starting lineup today for the first time this season as manager Jack McKeon tries to spark a stagnant offense.

Harris appreciates the playing time because the team can send him to the minors at any time in the first 45 days of the season as part of a contract he signed at the end of spring training.

"It doesn't bother me, but people remind me of it all the time. 'Hey, it's a shame they're doing this to you and not giving you a chance to play,' " said Harris, a Miami native. "I'm at home. I feel comfortable. The ball's in my court and I know I'm going to get better."

Link to Article

So where is Harris going to play, OF?? That would be a down grade....2B? His D will struggle. 1B? Same thing.

If this is as creative as McKeon can be....we're in trouble.

I say Nunez at LF, Conine at 1B, and Easley at 2nd.

I like that idea.....

But it doesn't sound like McKeon is going to be very creative.....

From the Palm Beach Post:

Harris gets first start as Marlins' offense lags

By Joe Capozzi, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, May 16, 2004

ST. LOUIS -- Lenny Harris is baseball's all-time pinch-hits leader with 183, but he is reminded every day of the difficulty of his role.

"When you have so many pinch-hits, people expect you to get a hit every time you come up," he said. "But usually you're not getting enough at-bats (to hit well consistently). It's something I've got to deal with."

After starting the season hitless in his first 10 pinch-hit appearances, Harris has two hits in his past two at-bats after getting a single Saturday in an eighth-inning rally that fell short in Florida's 4-0 loss.

After the game, Harris was told he would be in the starting lineup today for the first time this season as manager Jack McKeon tries to spark a stagnant offense.

Harris appreciates the playing time because the team can send him to the minors at any time in the first 45 days of the season as part of a contract he signed at the end of spring training.

"It doesn't bother me, but people remind me of it all the time. 'Hey, it's a shame they're doing this to you and not giving you a chance to play,' " said Harris, a Miami native. "I'm at home. I feel comfortable. The ball's in my court and I know I'm going to get better."

Link to Article

So where is Harris going to play, OF?? That would be a down grade....2B? His D will struggle. 1B? Same thing.

If this is as creative as McKeon can be....we're in trouble.

Keep in mind the Marlins have a decision to make on Harris by the end of the month.

Argh.

We have an off-day tomorrow, why make wholesale changes to the starting lineup? Our starters don't need the rest, they'll be getting it tomorrow! Who was the idiot in baseball history that came up with this practice of Sunday substitutions? Why not a more appropriate time like the middle of the playing week on a Thursday?

And it's not even like we played a night game last night! Sheesh. I'm getting tired of this tinkering crap. The point of spring training to test our your reserves in roles you may want to use them later in the season, and the last time I checked exhibition games ended over six weeks ago.

It's very odd because last year McKeon rarely changed the starting nine and lineup during the second half and we all know how that worked out.

Argh.

We have an off-day tomorrow, why make wholesale changes to the starting lineup? Our starters don't need the rest, they'll be getting it tomorrow! Who was the idiot in baseball history that came up with this practice of Sunday substitutions? Why not a more appropriate time like the middle of the playing week on a Thursday?

And it's not even like we played a night game last night! Sheesh. I'm getting tired of this tinkering crap. The point of spring training to test our your reserves in roles you may want to use them later in the season, and the last time I checked exhibition games ended over six weeks ago.

It's very odd because last year McKeon rarely changed the starting nine and lineup during the second half and we all know how that worked out.

Yeah true but I dont recall the lineup ever going through such a bad slump last year.

you have to give your starters a day off from time to time.

you gotta keep your bench guys sharp.

i'd like to see this......

nunez cf

easley 2b

conine lf

lowell 3b

cabrera rf

redmond c

mordi ss

harris 1b

:)

Craptastic.

Why not just throw Cordero in there as well and start all six benchwarmers?

Or just forfeit the game?

Mix in your bench players every now again, not all at the ame time.

Again, here is the lineup that will get it done:

JP

Castillo

Conine

Lowell

Cabs

Choi

AGon

Castro/Redmond

P

Until we do that, we will have some struggles at the bottom of the lineup. This way you get Conine involved and hot. Cabs should not be a 3 hole hitter, not yet anyway.

Choi's OBP is .345. That is higher than AGon, Castillo and Conine right now. You play Choi and stop this BS about sending him down or getting a bat to replace him. This guy is the real deal and will be fine but will struggle. Let him play.

Conine too. Let him play. Give Nunez some time because he has produced very well as a platoon but strikes out way too much for my liking. If you could deal Nunez for a reliever (it would be a start), do it. Otherwise, Conine should be our LF and he will come around too. If anything, why not put Easely in LF or Cordero in RF and shift Cabs to LF?

Again, here is the lineup that will get it done:

JP

Castillo

Conine

Lowell

Cabs

Choi

AGon

Castro/Redmond

P

Until we do that, we will have some struggles at the bottom of the lineup. This way you get Conine involved and hot. Cabs should not be a 3 hole hitter, not yet anyway.

:notworthy