Marlins missing Lee, Rodriguez

PBMarlin

Short and to the point.........sums up our troubles quite well.

Marlins missing Lee, Rodriguez

By Joe Capozzi, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

The season is barely one-quarter of the way through, but the Marlins are missing the bats of first baseman Derrek Lee and catcher Pudge Rodriguez.

The Marlins traded Lee to the Chicago Cubs in a money-saving move for Hee Seop Choi to play first base then signed Wil Cordero to spell him. Choi had a hot April, hitting nine home runs, but has slumped, and Cordero hasn't done much of anything.

Choi, who is batting.224, was benched twice last week and has 12 strikeouts in his past 22 at-bats. Cordero is batting.213 with one home run and six RBI.

When Rodriguez decided not to re-sign with Florida in December, the Marlins put their faith in Ramon Castro, who had just 53 at-bats last year as a third-string catcher.

In 73 at-bats this year, Castro is hitting.147. He is struggling in runners in scoring position, batting.087 (2-for-16) in those situations in which Rodriguez excelled last year.

Castro, who has just three home runs and five RBI, has been getting less playing time as manager Jack McKeon started Mike Redmond, a contact hitter who is batting.281.

Florida is fifth in the NL with 252 strikeouts, led by Choi (35), right fielder Miguel Cabrera (34), shortstop Alex Gonzalez (30) and Castro (25).

joe_capozzi@pbpost.com

Link to Article

In 73 at-bats this year, Castro is hitting.147. He is struggling in runners in scoring position, batting.087 (2-for-16) in those situations in which Rodriguez excelled last year.

After everyone talked bad about him left and right and said they don't want him to return, I wonder who takes their comments back. :whistle

I expected some ups and downs from the 1B position, but Castro has really surprised me...it's not that I didn't expect him to struggle at times, but he has looked completely lost at the plate. I figured that he was a lock for 20-25 HRs, if not more based on his past power, but he won't get anywhere close to that if he keeps playing like he does. I like Redmond as a hitter, but he is so slow that he's an almost guaranteed DP at least once a game.

After 37 games

2003: 16-21

2004: 21-16

I have no idea how this turns out and I agree that Pudge is a huge loss, but if people want to compare seasons then the facts are the facts. A team with Dontrelle Willis, Miguel Cabrera, Ramon Castro, Benitez and Hee Sop CHoi has a better record than a team with Mark Redman, Juan Encarnacion, Pudge, Looper and Derrek Lee.

After everyone talked bad about him left and right and said they don't want him to return, I wonder who takes their comments back. :whistle do you not understand about the money factor?

we would have loved him to come back but not for $40mil over 4 years

:banghead

do you not understand about the money factor?

we would have loved him to come back but not for $40mil over 4 years

:banghead

I understand it perfectly. I am not ignorant. ;) Just find it funny how some people said they didn't want him back and now they miss him.

Guest Guest

Just find it funny how some people said they didn't want him back and now they miss him.

I think most if not all here wanted him back at a reasonable price. That is still how I feel, I'd like him back but not for 4 yrs/40 mil.

Yea, I understand. Believe me. I just laugh at the idiots who just talked crap for the hell of it, despite the money factor. They don't like him because of his personality. They think he's an ass and he wasn't all that when he played for us. I am sorry, but I see so much more in Pudge than a lot of you see. I have a good reason to anyways. And you, Admin, know exactly what I am talking about. ;)

After 37 games

2003: 16-21

2004: 21-16

I have no idea how this turns out and I agree that Pudge is a huge loss, but if people want to compare seasons then the facts are the facts. A team with Dontrelle Willis, Miguel Cabrera, Ramon Castro, Benitez and Hee Sop CHoi has a better record than a team with Mark Redman, Juan Encarnacion, Pudge, Looper and Derrek Lee.

At that point in the season the Marlins were a diffrent ball-club than what they were at the end of the season when they WON it all. They were actually starting to get some of the peices together at that point, McKeon was brought on, Willis had just joined the club, Cabs would be up soon. So to compare our record at this point last year is not really relavent.

Guest Guest

I am sorry, but I see so much more in Pudge than a lot of you see. I have a good reason to anyways. And you, Admin, know exactly what I am talking about. ;)

Yep. ;)

Guest Juanky

Yea, I understand. Believe me. I just laugh at the idiots who just talked crap for the hell of it, despite the money factor. They don't like him because of his personality. They think he's an ass and he wasn't all that when he played for us. I am sorry, but I see so much more in Pudge than a lot of you see. I have a good reason to anyways. And you, Admin, know exactly what I am talking about. ;)

I liked Pudge. I didn't mind he didn't sign even because of greed. However, when turned around and bashed the team and the front office he died in my eyes.

Pudge was our mercenary to win teh title in the end.

Pudge decided money was his number one factor instead of building something in the town he lives in.

So be it.

I respected Pudge up until his parting shots at the organization...be it through his agent or whomever. Its still a reflection on him.

I dont want him back anymore. No matter what.

That bridge was burnt.

Pudge was our mercenary to win teh title in the end.

Pudge decided money was his number one factor instead of building something in the town he lives in.

So be it.

I respected Pudge up until his parting shots at the organization...be it through his agent or whomever. Its still a reflection on him.

I dont want him back anymore. No matter what.

That bridge was burnt.

your preaching to the choir

anyone who says they would not want Pudge back in the lineup tomorrow is a stone cold liar. Put Pudge at the 3 spot, move Cabrera to the 5 hole and Conine\Choi down to 6 and 7, tack on his stellar defense, and we solve almost all of the problems with this team in one fell swoop.

that being said, the question was never "do we want Pudge in 2004?" we answered that question by offering him a contract to play for us this year (and the next two). the question was always "will we want Pucge in 2007?" we won't know the answer to that question until then, but the smart money still says that sometime in the next 4 years, probably closer to 2004 than 2007, he will cease to be worth anywhere close to $10 million dollars.

anyone who says they would not want Pudge back in the lineup tomorrow is a stone cold liar. Put Pudge at the 3 spot, move Cabrera to the 5 hole and Conine\Choi down to 6 and 7, tack on his stellar defense, and we solve almost all of the problems with this team in one fell swoop.

that being said, the question was never "do we want Pudge in 2004?" we answered that question by offering him a contract to play for us this year (and the next two). the question was always "will we want Pucge in 2007?" we won't know the answer to that question until then, but the smart money still says that sometime in the next 4 years, probably closer to 2004 than 2007, he will cease to be worth anywhere close to $10 million dollars.

i dont want pudge back.

not a lie.

And btw, there is absolutely no reason to be missing Derrek Lee right now. None.

I agree with Juanky....I miss Pudge, come on, who wouldn't!!! the truth is that we offered a fair price for him, and he went with the kittens of Motown. As for Lee, whoever says that we miss his bat is using hallucinogens or something...his D was awesome, but Choi has made some good plays this year. I pick Choi over Lee at the plate any day.