Missed opportunity?

Easy to say this in hindsight, but I was leading the head of the "Sign Jose Guillen" bandwagon in the offseason. At 2.2 mil, he would have been an absolute steal for us. He's hitting .306, 8 HR 30 RBI for the Halo's and is a rock defensively with a gun in the OF. A mini-Vlad if you will. He would look a hell of a lot better better in the lineup over Conine, and a Jeff/Choi platoon wouldn't be bad, at least not nearly as bad as having to stomach Cordero vs. Lefties.

Another was Burnitz, and while I realize that he wouldn't be putting up close to the numbers hes putting up in Coors, 1.2 mil for him is larcany. He's not much of a hitter but is still a 30-35 HR threat, something we could have used IMO.

On a side note...I see Jason Kendalls name tossed around here alot...what makes people think managment would pay him 8.5 mil? They wouldn't even offer Pudge that. If we were to make a deal for a catcher who might be available I think it would be A.J. Pierzynski

Easy to say this in hindsight, but I was leading the head of the "Sign Jose Guillen" bandwagon in the offseason. At 2.2 mil, he would have been an absolute steal for us. He's hitting .306, 8 HR 30 RBI for the Halo's and is a rock defensively with a gun in the OF. A mini-Vlad if you will. He would look a hell of a lot better better in the lineup over Conine, and a Jeff/Choi platoon wouldn't be bad, at least not nearly as bad as having to stomach Cordero vs. Lefties.

Another was Burnitz, and while I realize that he wouldn't be putting up close to the numbers hes putting up in Coors, 1.2 mil for him is larcany. He's not much of a hitter but is still a 30-35 HR threat, something we could have used IMO.

On a side note...I see Jason Kendalls name tossed around here alot...what makes people think managment would pay him 8.5 mil? They wouldn't even offer Pudge that. If we were to make a deal for a catcher who might be available I think it would be A.J. Pierzynski

I agree. There is always a lot of cheap talent out there to sign and our FO has always seemed to do a poor job of this. Just a few names come to mind, but there were plenty to sign...Jose Guillen, Matt Stairs, Reggie Sanders, and I'm sure there is at least 20 more players like this.

Why are we second-guessing in May? I agree Guillen would've been a great pickup but wait to second-guess till the end of the season alright?

BTW: I am not so high on Guillen even though he is a very solid player, because of his attitude issues.

Why should we wait until the end of the season when it's quite obvious that there is something (or alot of things) terribly wrong with this teams lineup?

They supposedly went after Vlad...good for them, but they had no backup plan for him and got themselves stuck with a waste like Cordero. They should have been prepared and had a backup plan so they werent stuck with anything...and Guillen at 2.2 would have been just that. I havent heard Guillen's attitude problems arise in a couple of years which makes me believe they are a thing of the past....he matured and his on field game matured with him.

As far as Cordero....

its not like he was exactly 'crappy' last year.

You also have to remember, the team was committed to Choi at first, Conine in left, Pierre in center and Cabrera in right.

Its hard to attract guys like Guillen, Sanders, etc....when there is simply no visible opening for them as a starter on the roster.

think.

At least try and get Matt Stairs to platoon with 9ner in LF. Its not like 9ner could even be considered an average LF, so why not try and find a replacement or a platoon partner?

Why do that. Conine is a RBI machine and has always put up consistentyl 90-100 RBIs.

Castro is a bust IMO now that he has yet to even really show off his power. I have my money on the FO working to get that catcher they so depserately need. If it is Kendall, I say we trade Castro, Stokes, and a Pitching prospect, in return for him, and reliever, and they pay basically half of his bloated salary.

At least try and get Matt Stairs to platoon with 9ner in LF. Its not like 9ner could even be considered an average LF, so why not try and find a replacement or a platoon partner?

Why are you always hating on 9er? Don't get me wrong. I love 9ner, but statistically speaking he is one of the worst everyday LF in the game. Heck most SS have a better OPS than him.

Choi was far from being proven this offseason, so a Choi/Conine platoon at first would be more than realistic...I love the guy but Conine is playing like he's 60 years old, he just doesnt look like an every day player to me anymore, ESPECIALLY in the OF.

Yes, Guillen was signed before Vlad, but if managment expressed their interest and made it evident that they could outbid the Angels, there's no dout Guillen would have waited...AT THE TIME, signing with the defending world champs, in a latin community is a much more attractive place for Guillen(if he was guaranteed a starting role)

Anyway, thats over now...I really, really dont understand the interest in Jason Kendall, I;m not a huge fan of his and his salary is sickening. I wouldn't mind swinging a deal for Pierzynski though, and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he could be moved if SF continues to struggle.