Bush to Israel "respect innocent life"

Shamrock

Bush Tells Israel to Respect Innocent Life

Wed May 19, 6:50 PM ET? Add World - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Adam Entous

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites) called for Israel to exercise restraint and respect for "innocent life" in the Gaza Strip (news - web sites) on Wednesday but stopped short of condemning the Jewish state for firing on Palestinian protesters.

With international outrage pouring in, White House spokesman Scott McClellan later issued a more strongly worded statement of rebuke, asserting that while Israel has a right to defend itself, its actions in Gaza do not "serve the purposes of peace and security." He urged Israel "to exercise maximum restraint now."

Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) likewise warned that Israel's deadly operation made the peace process with the Palestinians more difficult.

The United States has demanded a full explanation from Israel on why its tanks and helicopters opened fire, killing 10 Palestinians and raising the two-day death toll to 33 in Israel's bloodiest raid in Gaza in years.

"I continue to urge restraint. It is essential that people respect innocent life in order for us to achieve peace," Bush told reporters after meeting with members of his Cabinet.

"We'll get clarification from the government. ... But I will continue to speak out about the need for all parties to respect innocent life in the Middle East," Bush said.

McClellan said the violence serves "as a grim reminder of the wisdom" of a U.S.-backed plan for Israel to withdraw from the Gaza Strip.

He said the United States would immediately begin a new round of consultations with Israel, the Palestinians and Egypt in a bid to ease tensions "so as to create the best possible conditions on the ground leading toward the disengagement (from Gaza) that we continue to favor."

The U.N. Security Council adopted a resolution on Wednesday calling on Israel to stop demolishing Palestinian homes following widespread bulldozing in the Gaza Strip. The United States abstained on the measure.

The criticism underscored growing U.S. concerns about Israeli tactics one day after Bush called the Gaza violence "troubling" and aides urged Israel to show restraint. The White House said it issued the increasingly critical comments after details of the Israeli raid emerged.

The State Department said it was difficult to justify leaving women and children homeless.

"I believe the activities of the Israeli defense forces in Gaza in recent days have caused a problem and have worsened the situation and I think made it more difficult to move forward and get back in the peace process," Powell told reporters.

But Bush did not condemn Israel in his brief public remarks. Asked why, McClellan said: "We don't know all the facts about how this tragic event happened in Gaza."

CHILDREN AND TEEN-AGERS

About 50 people were wounded at the besieged Rafah camp in southern Gaza, including many children and teen-agers, medics said.

"We deeply regret the loss of life of innocent Palestinian civilians," McClellan said in the statement.

Nevertheless, Israel's defense minister said the army would continue its Gaza operations.

??

The firing began as marchers surged toward the Tel Sultan neighborhood, the focal point of Israel's sweep into Rafah, to demand that humanitarian aid be allowed in. The Gaza Strip, which Israel seized in 1967, is home to 1.3 million Palestinians who live in poor conditions with little freedom of movement.

The Palestinian Authority (news - web sites) has branded the Israeli attack a "war crime" and demanded international protection for the Palestinian people.

In Geneva, the U.N. special human rights envoy for the occupied territories said Israeli military strikes against the Gaza refugee camp were war crimes and a violation of humanitarian law.

The raid has caused an international outcry because of Israeli threats to flatten hundreds of homes to widen an army-controlled security corridor along the border with Egypt.

The White House opposes the demolition.

Also check out the slideshow: Gaza Slideshow

Bush is a moron who is out of touch with the reality in the middle east.

Just recently the amount of weaponry tunnels from Egypt to "Palestine" has reached unacceptable levels. Palestinian militants are keen to derail the peace offered by Sharon as much as the hardliners in the Likud party. However, terrorism is not acceptable, quit killing people and take the gift, even though it is limited, and let Sharon withdraw from the settlements. However, the Palestinians are not interested in peace, they by far advocate terror and are interested in Israel's push into the ocean. Don't believe me, look at polls and Arafats recent battle cries.

Yet another Hamas military chief is killed, children are being sent to battle the israelis in order to increase the "innocent children" death count, and people are yet to condemn the terrorists. This sickens me.

Just recently the amount of weaponry tunnels from Egypt to "Palestine" has reached unacceptable levels. Palestinian militants are keen to derail the peace offered by Sharon as much as the hardliners in the Likud party. However, terrorism is not acceptable, quit killing people and take the gift, even though it is limited, and let Sharon withdraw from the settlements. However, the Palestinians are not interested in peace, they by far advocate terror and are interested in Israel's push into the ocean. Don't believe me, look at polls and Arafats recent battle cries.

Yet another Hamas military chief is killed, children are being sent to battle the israelis in order to increase the "innocent children" death count, and people are yet to condemn the terrorists. This sickens me.

Thank you Soriano.

Israel is doing what is right. The Palestinians are ruthless, muslim extremists for the most part (I am not being stereotypical because I have seen some very nice Palestinians). The Likud Party is good for Israel not Ehud Barak. Israel needs a strong leader like Sharon. He isn't afraid to do what is right for Israel.

BTW: Palestinians are some of the most extremists muslims out there. Thats why many countries like Jordan do not wish to have any more in the "refugee" camps.

I'm tired of Bush flip flopping on israel. I'm tired of the world pretending that the palestinians are misunderstood or worse yet, israel is wrong. This is condoned murder of innocents by an enemy that just does not cease the murder. I consider it a sin mentally for anyone to be in support of the palestinians.

Lucky for many, I'm sure God doesn't care.

mmkay, a few points:

-ariel sharon is an awful leader for the Israeli cause, and yasser arafat is even worse. honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that it'd cause a hellish uprising in the middle east, i wish someone would just assasinate arafat because he's a dirty liar who just wants to stir s*** up. the palestinians could not have gotten any worse of a figure/leader to represent them. that said, sharon is definitely no angel, and the israelis don't have a great leader representing them, either. but arafat is worse.

-the refugee camps ARE refugee camps, but countries like jordan, lebanon, etc. don't want to take in any more palestinian refugees because there are already so many (about 1.5 million in jordan alone), and both countries already have enough problems taking care of their citizens, let alone more refugees. plus, a lot of people are scared to bring in the refugees so that the israelis won't invade the country on the basis of "guerilla fighting" (refer to the entire lebanese civil war if you don't believe me).

-there is no way to justify demolishing the homes of women and children and leaving them with nothing.

-israel has repeatedly ignored UN resolutions; however, they can still do whatever they want because the US will not ever flat out condone their actions.

-palestinians are not "muslim extremists" considering the fact that there are significant numbers of palestinian chrisitans

has anyone stopped to think that if an "entire generation of child killers" is being raised over there, the israeli government sure as hell must be doing something to provoke it? have you ever considered the living conditions, regulations, second class treatment, etc. the palestinians endure?

honestly, i wish both sides would just get leaders who really want to achieve peace. they're all humans and they all have the right to exist freely within that space without getting shot at by the other side. yes.

[fyi: any response by me might be slightly delayed because i have final exams this week]

-ariel sharon is an awful leader for the Israeli cause, and yasser arafat is even worse. honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that it'd cause a hellish uprising in the middle east, i wish someone would just assasinate arafat because he's a dirty liar who just wants to stir s*** up. the palestinians could not have gotten any worse of a figure/leader to represent them. that said, sharon is definitely no angel, and the israelis don't have a great leader representing them, either. but arafat is worse.

But at least give him props for supporting a unitarial pullout. That can get him killed.

-the refugee camps ARE refugee camps, but countries like jordan, lebanon, etc. don't want to take in any more palestinian refugees because there are already so many (about 1.5 million in jordan alone), and both countries already have enough problems taking care of their citizens, let alone more refugees. plus, a lot of people are scared to bring in the refugees so that the israelis won't invade the country on the basis of "guerilla fighting" (refer to the entire lebanese civil war if you don't believe me).

That and the refugees start building weapons, tunnels, housing soldiers...sparking israeli counterstrikes.

-there is no way to justify demolishing the homes of women and children and leaving them with nothing.

1. How much women and children die when you know that a bulldozer is coming? Most of the people that die are fighting.

2. The militants enlist boys to fight, they are not innocent "children"

3. They shouldn't house weapons tunnels and ect.

-israel has repeatedly ignored UN resolutions; however, they can still do whatever they want because the US will not ever flat out condone their actions.

Who cares what the UN thinks when it pussyfoots concerning the Palestinian genoicde of Israelis.

has anyone stopped to think that if an "entire generation of child killers" is being raised over there, the israeli government sure as hell must be doing something to provoke it? have you ever considered the living conditions, regulations, second class treatment, etc. the palestinians endure?

That's there problem. Before the second intifadah their ecnomy was relatively great. Don't blame the israelis for people that tell their children to kill, condone killing and thus condone farther economic turmoil.

honestly, i wish both sides would just get leaders who really want to achieve peace. they're all humans and they all have the right to exist freely within that space without getting shot at by the other side. yes.

Yes and this can only be achieved when we put aside our prejudices and illogical beliefs and condemn the terrorists that have been starting this all along: the palestinians.

1. The "palestinians" dropped the ball when they could of had their own state

2. The "palestinians" had the right to live in israel and still take part in the government (equal citizens.)

3. What right does the world have to tell people where to and not where to live as long as they don't kill people for no reason?

The Arabs simply did not want Jews, or at least that many. They expelled 800,000 throughout the middle east. Technically, Israel expelled no one.

True.

Weren't the people of Israel awarded that land though, without getting any kind of approval from the Palestinians who were already living there?

Israel was split into to parts in 1948. The Arabs/Palestinians had the better land and portion, the Jews had just the Negav desert and a small portion of good land.

There are many Arabs in Israel who are very nice people I don't dispute that, but Palestinian Muslims are some of the worst out there. They are the most extreme of all and that is why many countries do not want them in. Sorry to burst anyones bubble but countries closed their doors specefically because they did not want these very extreme Muslims taking over their government. Palestinian Muslims make Saudi Arabia look like America.

Palestinian Christians are not the problem as they are caught between a crossfire. But I will say this: Israel has every right to bulldoze any house suspected of terrorism ties to prevent the murder of more Israelis. Even if they are Palestinian Christians homes which I seriously doubt any of them would help the intifadeh.

BTW: Ariel Sharon is a good leader for Israel. You want a bad leader, go look up Ehud Barak. You need a strong leader for Israel all the time. There is just no rest or light at the end of the tunnel at the moment.