Minor League Article by Mark Griffith (Shamrock)

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

By: Mark Griffith

MarlinsBaseball.com Columnist

Mark's Columnist Page

Albuquerque

Game from the day before yesterday since they did not play last night.

*LHP Mike Tejera pitched the Topes' to their 22nd win (22-18) with 7 scoreless innings in which he allowed only 4 hits and two walks while recording 2 strikeouts. Mikey also walked and singled in 4 PA. He now has 4 hits on the season, good for a .400 BA. Despite this excellent start, Tejera still is walking far too many batters to be considered for a callup. His 20BB in 40IP tell me that he is still working out mechanical issues. RHP Kevin Olsen is pitching the best out of the bunch in this man's humble opinion with a 11BB/38K walk to strikeout ratio in 46.2IP with only 3HR allowed

*RHP Mike McNutt, who pitched his way to a promotion with a blazing start in Carolina, was tagged for 3H and 2ER without recording an out. He still boasts decent numbers in limited innings thrown (6IP, 7H, 3ER, 2BB, 5K, 0HR)

*Recently promoted 1B, Admin Sutton, had another typical game reaching base 2 times in 5PA by way of a walk and single. This game wrapped up an incredible 143AB for Mr. Sutton. His 385BA places him in second in the PCL behind only our former farm-hand, Chad Allen (409BA). Sutton's 12HR leave him 1 behind PCL leader Calbin Pickering. His 26BB leave him yet again in 2nd place behind Dan Johnson (29BB). His stat line reads like this 385/480/755 (BA/OBP/SLG). No doubt the best offensive player in the PCL thus far. Being 33 means that he is not a long term option anywhere, but his numberes translate very well to the majors, so lets hope he can provide us with some spark...somewhere.

*C Matt Treanor continued his hot streak with 4 hits in 5PA including a double(7) and a homer(5). Remember, Treanor was the player who McKeon said was ML ready after spring training.

Treanor has demonstrated awesome plate patience (17BB/20K) and the best power of any catcher in the PCL (525 SLG). I have no doubt Treanor is being considered as a replacement for Castro right now. The FO must be looking for a trade involving Castro to shore up the pen and open a slot for Treanor/Willingham. I'm hoping Treanor gets the call first because his defensive and game calling skills are more advanced, plus he is hitting a higher level of pitching. Willingham is my favorite Marlin prospect, but I think Treanor deserves the first hack at the job. His current line...303/424/525 (BA/OBP/SLG)

*CF Chris Aguila cashed in another 2 hits to increase his BA to 341. His K/BB ratio is poor (15/41), however he has proved himself a legit player in AAA after a batting title in the Southern League in 2003. Lets see how he finishes the first half before we get too excited.

Carolina

Lost 3-2 in extras.

*RHP Pete Bauer pitched well, but hes too old to really care about.

*C Josh Willingham had his hitting streak snapped, but still reached base 2 times with a HBP and a walk. Willy has racked up 7 HPB which is good for 2nd in the Southern League. I'm thinking he crowds the plate. He is now hitting 250/401/529 and doing his best to convince the Marlins FO that he should be called up and not Matt Treanor of the Topes.

*SS Josh Wilson continues his breakout season with a single and a walk in 5PA raising his OBP to 361 which is good for 2nd among Southern League SS. Josh has knocked out 3HR in 149AB whereas last season the same feat took him 434AB. His walks are way up as this season he has worked 17 free passes, while last season he walked 27 times in 434AB. To keep from being redundant, I'll just say that Wilson is on pace to smash last seasons disappointing numbers. Possible Marlins SS in 2006? Count on it.

*CF Eric Reed continues to put the ball in play with 2 more hits to rise his BA to 315. The double yesterday gives him 7 on the season and pushed his SLG to 451. Consider that his previous best in SLG% was last season at 361 and Reed looks to develop at least average power for CF.

*1B Stokes made an appearances as a PH and struck out.

Jupiter

Won in extras 3-2.

*RF Andy Rohleder, who I thought was promoted to replace a promoted Hermida, is playing very well. Two more hits last night gives Andy a good line at 378/489/514, although in only 37AB. He was one of my favorite Bats last season and started off slow, but appears to be back on track after this promotion to replace the injured Hermida.

*RHP Yorman Bazardo returned to his studly ways after getting hammered in his last start. He threw 8 innings of scoreless ball allowing only 5H and a BB to go along with 7K. The 19-year old Bazardo is putting on a very solid performance in Jupiter this season with 55.2IP, (2nd in FSL) 57H, 8BB, 27K, 1HR. All the scouting reports show Bazardo to have wicked stuff, so with age, expect him to dominate in the coming years.

*Unforunately without Hermida there isn't much else to report.

Greensboro

I'm disgusted with these slobs and refuse to report anything on them. Learn to put the ball in play people. Leading the SAL league in strikeouts with 389 and worst in the league in BA at 231. Ugh.

**Hope you enjoyed this. Lets hope the FO makes some moves quick and gets either Willy or Treanor in the catcher slot**

*RHP Yorman Bazardo returned to his studly ways after getting hammered in his last start. He threw 8 innings of scoreless ball allowing only 5H and a BB to go along with 7K. The 19-year old Bazardo is putting on a very solid performance in Jupiter this season with 55.2IP, (2nd in FSL) 57H, 8BB, 27K, 1HR. All the scouting reports show Bazardo to have wicked stuff, so with age, expect him to dominate in the coming years.

:)

*boing*

:thumbup

Bring up Treanor! This guys deserves a chance. Hey look at Mike Redmond...he got a chance and has become one of the best backup catchers in the bigs.

Agreed. :thumbup I've always liked the way Matt Treanor plays, and he definitely couldn't be worse than Ramon.