Iraq

Shamrock

What is the real situation here? In most articles you read its propoganda for one side or the other. It as an utter failure. It is a booming success. Can anyone here sort through the BS and give some sort of realistic picture of whats happening? Is the handover process really in danger of falling through? Do we need more troops because what we have there can barely hang on to the cities we occupy? Do Chalabi's traitorous actions endanger the transition government? Ugh, I wish I could find some truth sometimes. I guess all you can do is find some middle ground between the two positions.

Two maxims that help me clarify any issue:

1) Journalism 101: "In considering any two viewpoints of an issue remember that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

2) Philosopht 101: Ockham's Razor (Applied) All things being equal, the simplest and most obvious answer is the correct one.

another possible bad: this week the names of the new Iraqi Interim Government will be named...

that's a couple of new targets....

True, but to be honest these guys are all disposable anyway. At times I think they have more value as assasination victims then as functional leaders.

What is the real situation here? In most articles you read its propoganda for one side or the other. It as an utter failure. It is a booming success. Can anyone here sort through the BS and give some sort of realistic picture of whats happening? Is the handover process really in danger of falling through? Do we need more troops because what we have there can barely hang on to the cities we occupy? Do Chalabi's traitorous actions endanger the transition government? Ugh, I wish I could find some truth sometimes. I guess all you can do is find some middle ground between the two positions.

I concur.

It seems one group says we're winning the war on evil terrorists and dictators and regimes.

The other says we're losing horrible as it's only causing the people to revolt and get madder.

Sometimes, there's so much "news" out there, it's tough to know what to believe.

I'm omniscient, so my answers are the be all, end all:

Can anyone here sort through the BS and give some sort of realistic picture of whats happening?

The American military is playing cat and mouse with terrorists, poltical factions, and terrorists in cahoots with political factions.

Is the handover process really in danger of falling through?

Any government in power will be illigitimate until American forces leave Iraq in the eyes of Iraqis. Come on, like we're not going to fix this election? Even if we don't, most people will think we did anyway. Anyone who goes into power is going to want us out anyway, unless they are a total puppet that makes Iraq break out into civil war.

Do we need more troops because what we have there can barely hang on to the cities we occupy?

We need to kill those crazy mullahs that keep calling for attacks. We are afraid of "angering them", but I would rather kill one nut than fight a prolonged war with him. At least capture the bastards.

Do Chalabi's traitorous actions endanger the transition government?

Yes