One of my favorite female voices...

Shamrock

"During those long summer tours, there?s nothing on television that doesn?t rot your brain except for baseball. And I love the game. I love the history of the game. I love the fact that anything can happen but probably won?t. But sometimes does. I love that you don?t have to be a perfect human specimen to be a good player; you can be overweight, you can be too short, too skinny. Let?s just say that I?m a National League girl, because I don?t believe in the designated hitter. And you can quote me on that."

Gotta love Emmylou Harris.

c/o Esquire Magazine

Yeah, the DH SUCKS!

The NL is so much more fun to watch than the AL for me.

I disagree. I don't want to see the pitcher hit. I don't want to have an automatic out in my team's lineup that might kill a rally. I don't want to have to give up an out by a bunt everytime a pitcher comes up or maybe have to have a pitcher who is pitching well PH for because the team needs to score a run in that situation. I want to see 9 guys who can hit go up there for my team. That's why I'm glad we're in the AL.

Another benefit of the DH is that you can keep a guy's bat in the lineup while giving him a rest from playing on the field that day. This is a good way to keep players fresh, especially when you are talking about defensively demanding positions being played by an older player.

The NL takes a lot more strategy though. The double switch, intentional walk to get to the pitcher, etc. The whole style of play is different too.

The manager means more in the NL.

I don't really find a double switch or intentional walk to get to a pitcher all that exciting. I don't think it involves some great amount of strategy.

I actually think the opposite of Beinfest4Prez. A pitcher batting inflates pitchers in the NL's stats as opposed to pitchers in the AL. It's because there is an almost guaranteed out in the lineup, that's why pitcher's ERAs in the NL are usually lower on average. Also, look at the K/IP leaders in the NL vs. the AL, there's more K's per inning in the NL because of the pitcher who is significantly easier to get out than the DH who is usually a very good hitter who can't play a defensive position very well. I don't know, I'd just rather watch 9 guys who can hit go up there. It doesn't water down pitcher's stats as much when they are facing 9 guys who can hit.

The NL takes a lot more strategy though. The double switch, intentional walk to get to the pitcher, etc. The whole style of play is different too.

The manager means more in the NL.

I don't really find a double switch or intentional walk to get to a pitcher all that exciting. I don't think it involves some great amount of strategy.

I actually think the opposite of Beinfest4Prez. A pitcher batting inflates pitchers in the NL's stats as opposed to pitchers in the AL. It's because there is an almost guaranteed out in the lineup, that's why pitcher's ERAs in the NL are usually lower on average. Also, look at the K/IP leaders in the NL vs. the AL, there's more K's per inning in the NL because of the pitcher who is significantly easier to get out than the DH who is usually a very good hitter who can't play a defensive position very well. I don't know, I'd just rather watch 9 guys who can hit go up there. It doesn't water down pitcher's stats as much when they are facing 9 guys who can hit. True Tigers fan but I was talking more along the lines on how long a pitcher can go through a game and hitting and running for a pitcher has shown adverse affects on pitchers. See Dontrelle Willis Game 4 NLDS.

Guest Juanky

I'm with NC here. There is a lot more strategy involved in NL games making them more exciting for me. Besides the game was never meant to have hitters that didn't play defense.

Yup, if a pitcher is in the field he shouldn't be saved having to bat.

Besides, Clemens, Dontrelle, and Hampton bat better than some 8 hitters (and in the case of the Fish, their 7th hitter too).

Baseball was meant to be played without the DH.

That's a pretty broad statement that I don't think can be backed up.

I will just agree to disagree with you gusy though. Maybe it's because I grew up watching AL baseball and you guys NL baseball, but it's definately an opinion thing here. It just comes down to what style of baseball you prefer, and I prefer the non-watered down offensive game where a pitcher faces 9 legitimate hitters and a manager can rest his productive players from playing on the field while still getting their bats in there. The DH extends careers, just look at Edgar Martinez who wouldn't even be playing if not for the DH, or how important DH at bats are to extending the careers of older catchers who are good offensive players.

Guest Juanky

I think my opinion of the DH stands as the same as that little kid on the playground in the ESPN Radio commercial- "I don't like the DH but I can't imagine baseball without it."

Yeah, the DH SUCKS!

The NL is so much more fun to watch than the AL for me.

I disagree. I don't want to see the pitcher hit. I don't want to have an automatic out in my team's lineup that might kill a rally. I don't want to have to give up an out by a bunt everytime a pitcher comes up or maybe have to have a pitcher who is pitching well PH for because the team needs to score a run in that situation. I want to see 9 guys who can hit go up there for my team. That's why I'm glad we're in the AL.

Another benefit of the DH is that you can keep a guy's bat in the lineup while giving him a rest from playing on the field that day. This is a good way to keep players fresh, especially when you are talking about defensively demanding positions being played by an older player. no real baseball fan likes the DH. It takes a lot away from the strategy of the game, and it gives the AL an unfair advantage in the World Series.

i hate the DH, but i cant see baseball without it

besides, i love the idea that baseball is the only sport where the 2 conferences/leagues have something different between them (in terms of style of play)

that's the only reason to keep it, because with interleague play, umpires doing both leagues, major league balls, the DH is the only thing that seperates the two leagues

no real baseball fan likes the DH. It takes a lot away from the strategy of the game, and it gives the AL an unfair advantage in the World Series.

Your post was a joke. I happen to know a lot of REAL baseball fans who like the DH. I happen to be one of them. Just because YOU don't like the DH doesn't mean no real baseball fan likes the DH. That's an awfully arrogant statement. I also don't believe it takes away from the strategy of the game. Who really finds a double switch that exciting? I also don't see how it gives the AL an unfair advantage in the World Series. The NL team uses the DH at the AL park and the pitchers bat at at the NL park. I just don't understand your reasoning there. Perhaps you could explain it to me.

Ignore him tigerfan, he thinks Barry doesn't roid.

Ha-HAH! :lol

Emmylou ROCKS and she apparently knows baseball, too.

The DH is lame. I want to see the pitchers bat and all the batters play defense, the way it was done until relatively recently in the history of the game. The double switch may not be exactly enthralling, but it does add another layer of complexity to the strategy of the manager. I'm no knee-jerk traditionalist, but on this one you gotta go with the old school.

P.S. Why do some of y'all make an exception for the Red Sox?

Guest Juanky

I don't know, they are just fun to watch for me I guess. You kind of forget that they have a DH for some reason or another. But besides that, I kinda root for them so that makes it easier too :whistle