Draft picks

Jerald Watson is the Louisiana kid who is going to Auburn. We were not able to sign him.

Here's the lasted from rivals.com today:

Although the 2004 Auburn squad doesn?t have any glaring needs heading into two-a-days, Tuberville did mention several freshmen that could make an immediate impact including Watson, Hart and Browder.

Watson turned down a reported signing bonus of over $200,000 to play baseball from the Florida Marlins before reporting to Auburn.

?We?re excited that (Watson) is here,? Tuberville explained. ?He?s one of the guys that can really help us this year because of his speed on special teams and different situations. He was one our guys that we targeted because one of the areas that we really lacked was someone with outstanding breakaway speed.

Some signings today.

#98 Greg Burns (17, CF, L/L)

http://64.29.65.199/sb/ros_btm.html

Greg Burns decided yesterday to sign with the world champion Florida Marlins instead of enrolling as a freshman at Hawaii this fall.

The 6-foot-2 outfielder from Walnut High School in Philips Ranch, Calif., was selected in the third round of Major League Baseball's First-Year Player Draft last week. He was the 98th overall pick.

"After Greg was taken in the third round, we pretty much knew he was going to sign," UH coach Mike Trapasso said. "We talked earlier and he let it be known if he was offered half a mill, he would sign. I'm sure he got close to that.

"He had an advisor who is a good dude and they went about it the right way. About three days ago they were only $100,000 apart."

The Marlins made an offer Saturday, Burns and his family discussed it Sunday and the necessary papers were signed yesterday.

"If they didn't offer me fair money, I was coming to Hawaii, but they offered me fair money for the round and they will pay for my schooling," said Burns, who bats and throws from the left side. "I just want to play baseball.

"This is a load off my shoulders. I'm going to celebrate by having dinner with family and friends tonight."

Burns will report Friday to the Marlins spring training facility at Jupiter, Fla.

Trapasso and his assistants will be on the prowl this summer for another outfielder and another pitcher, after James Parr signed last week.

"It will be a feeding frenzy because everyone is in the same boat after the draft," Trapasso said.

-----

#188 Bradley McCann (21, 3B, R/R)

#428 Patrick Hogan (23, P, R/R)

http://www.charleston.net/stories/061504/s...clem_base.shtml

CLEMSON--Clemson third baseman Brad McCann has agreed to terms with the Florida Marlins and plans to skip his senior season, McCann's mother said Monday.

Sherry McCann said a deal was reached Sunday and that McCann, a second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference pick who led the Tigers with a .379 batting average, plans to sign Wednesday in Jamestown, N.Y.

McCann will play for the Jamestown Jammers, the Marlins' Class A short-season affiliate. McCann's departure means Clemson loses another key junior after Tyler Lumsden agreed to terms with the Chicago White Sox last week.

"He's definitely thrilled to be with the Marlins organization," Sherry McCann said of her son, who was a sixth-round pick.

Clemson pitcher Patrick Hogan, a senior who was drafted by Florida in the 14th round, has agreed to terms with the Marlins and plans to report to Jamestown as well.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/8933033.htm

Meanwhile, junior third baseman Brad McCann has agreed to terms with the Florida Marlins, ending his two-year career at Clemson. He begins playing Friday at Jamestown, N.Y., home of the Marlins? Class A short-season team.

McCann said he agreed to a signing bonus of $145,000 as a sixth-round pick. He remains a teammate of Clemson pitcher Patrick Hogan, a 14th-round choice also headed to Jamestown.

Some signings today.

#98 Greg Burns (17, CF, L/L)

http://64.29.65.199/sb/ros_btm.html

Greg Burns decided yesterday to sign with the world champion Florida Marlins instead of enrolling as a freshman at Hawaii this fall.

The 6-foot-2 outfielder from Walnut High School in Philips Ranch, Calif., was selected in the third round of Major League Baseball's First-Year Player Draft last week. He was the 98th overall pick.

"After Greg was taken in the third round, we pretty much knew he was going to sign," UH coach Mike Trapasso said. "We talked earlier and he let it be known if he was offered half a mill, he would sign. I'm sure he got close to that.

"He had an advisor who is a good dude and they went about it the right way. About three days ago they were only $100,000 apart."

The Marlins made an offer Saturday, Burns and his family discussed it Sunday and the necessary papers were signed yesterday.

"If they didn't offer me fair money, I was coming to Hawaii, but they offered me fair money for the round and they will pay for my schooling," said Burns, who bats and throws from the left side. "I just want to play baseball.

"This is a load off my shoulders. I'm going to celebrate by having dinner with family and friends tonight."

Burns will report Friday to the Marlins spring training facility at Jupiter, Fla.

Trapasso and his assistants will be on the prowl this summer for another outfielder and another pitcher, after James Parr signed last week.

"It will be a feeding frenzy because everyone is in the same boat after the draft," Trapasso said.

-----

#188 Bradley McCann (21, 3B, R/R)

#428 Patrick Hogan (23, P, R/R)

http://www.charleston.net/stories/061504/s...clem_base.shtml

CLEMSON--Clemson third baseman Brad McCann has agreed to terms with the Florida Marlins and plans to skip his senior season, McCann's mother said Monday.

Sherry McCann said a deal was reached Sunday and that McCann, a second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference pick who led the Tigers with a .379 batting average, plans to sign Wednesday in Jamestown, N.Y.

McCann will play for the Jamestown Jammers, the Marlins' Class A short-season affiliate. McCann's departure means Clemson loses another key junior after Tyler Lumsden agreed to terms with the Chicago White Sox last week.

"He's definitely thrilled to be with the Marlins organization," Sherry McCann said of her son, who was a sixth-round pick.

Clemson pitcher Patrick Hogan, a senior who was drafted by Florida in the 14th round, has agreed to terms with the Marlins and plans to report to Jamestown as well.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/8933033.htm

Meanwhile, junior third baseman Brad McCann has agreed to terms with the Florida Marlins, ending his two-year career at Clemson. He begins playing Friday at Jamestown, N.Y., home of the Marlins? Class A short-season team.

McCann said he agreed to a signing bonus of $145,000 as a sixth-round pick. He remains a teammate of Clemson pitcher Patrick Hogan, a 14th-round choice also headed to Jamestown.

Big Blow for Hawaii :(

Here's a list of Draft Picks signed by the marlins so far.

courtesy of BaseballAmerica.com

Rnd Pk Overall Player Position School State

4 27 128 Jamar Walton of Greensville County HS, Emporia, Va. VA

7 27 218 Jerad Gaston of Walters State (Tenn.) CC TN

11 27 338 Daniel Barone rhp Sonoma State (Calif.) U. CA

12 27 368 Jeff Gogal lhp Montclair State (N.J.) U. NJ

13 27 398 Steve Gendron ss/3b Mississippi State U. MS

14 27 428 Patrick Hogan rhp Clemson U. SC

16 27 488 Brian Cleveland ss U. of Tennessee TN

20 27 608 Rhett James rhp Florida State U. FL

22 27 668 Chris Mobley rhp Middle Tennessee State U. TN

23 27 698 Ted Ledbetter of Oklahoma City U. OK