Looper Has Good Comments For Marlins

DaGreatOne

? We hear there's increasing thought within the Marlins -- particularly the on-field staff -- that Florida needs another run-producer, especially with Jeff Conine's slow first 10 weeks.

? ''You don't realize what you have until you're gone.'' That's what Mets closer Braden Looper said recently of Florida's defense -- and not just Alex Gonzalez and Luis Castillo.

'' Mike Lowell doesn't get enough recognition for his defense,'' Looper said. If St. Louis third baseman `` Scott Rolen weren't in the same league, Lowell would win the Gold Glove every year.''

Looper shared two other thoughts on his former team: 'I've always thought Mike Redmond was underappreciated. And watching Miguel Cabrera do what he did as a rookie was unbelievable to me. I would sit back and say to myself, `Oh, man. Just great at-bat after great at-bat.' And he's got a great heart, too.''

? On a one-year deal, the Marlins' Jack McKeon, 73, admits he ''thinks sometimes'' about surpassing Casey Stengel as the second-oldest manager in history, behind Connie Mack, who managed until 87. McKeon would need to manage into the 2006 season to achieve that. ''Age isn't a factor -- you shouldn't penalize experience,'' he said.

A Japanese TV station, preparing a documentary on McKeon, followed him for four days recently. ''I'm 45,'' he told them. ''I'll be 45 next year, too.'' McKeon smokes six to eight cigars daily but doesn't worry about health. He walks or jogs three to five miles a day.

c/o Miami Herald

I always liked Looper, I know I'm the minority on this board, but I wanted the FO to try and resign Looper, he would be one hell of a set-up man.

Same thing I was telling my friends yesterday after talking about how bad we need a set-up man but of course they cursed me out saying Looper is crap.

(sigh)

Guest FishFanInPA

Looper was a blown save waiting to happen. Needless to say, I cursed him everytime he came out of the pen. Good riddance.

I like Loop too, but 3 mil's a little pricey for a setup guy isn't it?

(at least for the marlins it is)

Especially when they could pencil in Chad Fox as the setup arm at less than half that.

Amen. I dont think people here disliked Looper though - just questioned his ability to close out games.

His production in the second half was questionable. But he certainly would be nice as a set up guy. Then again, Fox was expected to fulfill that role and I see no reason to second guess now.

The Marlins didnt have the money. Sorry guys, cant live in the past.

? On a one-year deal, the Marlins' Jack McKeon, 73, admits he ''thinks sometimes'' about surpassing Casey Stengel as the second-oldest manager in history, behind Connie Mack, who managed until 87. McKeon would need to manage into the 2006 season to achieve that. ''Age isn't a factor -- you shouldn't penalize experience,'' he said.

No 2006 would be too long.

I always liked Looper, I know I'm the minority on this board, but I wanted the FO to try and resign Looper, he would be one hell of a set-up man.

Same thing I was telling my friends yesterday after talking about how bad we need a set-up man but of course they cursed me out saying Looper is crap.

(sigh) I did not curse you out, or call him crap. I'll always support looper, except when he plays the marlins.

But do you really think we would sign looper at 3 million dollars to be our set-up man?

Do you really think he would have stayed here to set-up if the mets were offering the closers role? And a two-year contract?

And with Chad fox (at less money), why would we sign him to set-up?

He did save 28 games, but he also blew 6.

That said, I wish him the best, and hope he has a great season.

(sigh) I did not curse you out, or call him crap. I'll always support looper, except when he plays the marlins.

But do you really think we would sign looper at 3 million dollars to be our set-up man?

Do you really think he would have stayed here to set-up if the mets were offering the closers role? And a two-year contract?

And with Chad fox (at less money), why would we sign him to set-up?

He did save 28 games, but he also blew 6.

That said, I wish him the best, and hope he has a great season. :)