Trade Watch

jonnylons

The first major trade of the season - and it does affect us (which is why I post it here) - Richard Hidalgo was acquired by the Mets for David Weathers (who goes to Astros).

This seems to effect us immediately in two ways:

1) Mets get better offense

2) Mets are unofficially out of the Beltran sweepstakes (they were heading that way already)

3) The market has been set as Weathers for Hidalgo is unequal in talent and possibly strictly a contract move. This could raise the value put on relief pitching or drop the asking prices for position players (especially those with big contracts).

?

Is Weathers really a problem solver? Could we see Hidalgo replace Cameron in NY. Does anybody think that NY may get rid of Cameron because of his disappointing stats.

Hidalgo plays RF. I dont think the Mets intend to shift him to center and I dont believe there is any plans to send Cameron away because he does play strong offense.

But this makes the Mets offense better and they could afford to get rid of Weathers, who is solid, and take on Hidalgo's salary. This could actually help the Mets make a push here. I dont think we necessarily have to worry as we have the best starters in this league and we will always have a chance to quiet any offense in the league. But I do think that this effects the market and any deals we may try and make for a reliever will get harder and perhaps going for a hitter makes more sense as we could give up less talent but take on more salary.

:blink: Has this trade gone through? Or just a rumor?

This trade is reported by ESPN:

In an effort to inject some juice into their lineup, the Mets have obtained outfielder Richard Hidalgo from the Astros in exchange for right-handed reliever David Weathers, according to a report Thursday on the New York Daily News Web site.

However, WFAN sports radio in New York reports that the Mets deny it's a done deal and that talks are continuing.

Hidalgo, 28, hit 44 homers and drove in 122 runs as recently as 2000, but has fallen off since and is now a part-time player with a .256 average, four homers and 30 RBI in 199 at-bats.

Weathers, 34, has appeared in 32 games and is 5-3 record with a 4.28 ERA, but like Hidalgo had figured less and less lately in his team's plans.

According to the Daily News report, the Astros will send $4 million to the Mets to jettison Hidalgo, who is scheduled to make $12 million this season and $15 million in 2005, although the Mets seem certain to buy out that final year for $2 million. Weathers is making nearly $4 million this year, the final season of his contract.

Here is the link:

Hidalgo/Weathers

:blink: Has this trade gone through? Or just a rumor?

yes it has gone through. Hrmm, I was looking at the Mets site and no mention of it, but wow, what a great trade for NY. Weathers is nothing special and the Mets get someone who (in theory) can hit the ball.

I don't really see this as a huge improvement for the Mets. Hidalgo has been cold as of late, and I don't think that adding Richard will make the Mets legitimate contenders in this division.

Good point but he's so much better than Spencer/Garcia. I think it's an improvement and a pretty good move by Wilpon.

I don't really see this as a huge improvement for the Mets. Hidalgo has been cold as of late, and I don't think that adding Richard will make the Mets legitimate contenders in this division.

It may not, but it does help set the market value on relievers and hitters, especially those hitters with big contracts.

This could effect us on the field or off the field or both.

this trade isnt major at all....... you have two players here who will neva eva repeat there past proformances.......

Weathers is old enough to be my grand pa...... and Rich is like a Juan Encarnacion "who?"

Muts didnt improve at all......

neither did the Stros

You know, you could make the argument that we are missing Encarnacion right now...and if that is the case the Mets made a pretty good trade. Besides, you saying that Weathers is old enough to be your grandpa is indication enough that the Mets got a hell of deal here.

It may not, but it does help set the market value on relievers and hitters, especially those hitters with big contracts.

This could effect us on the field or off the field or both. very true...

You know, you could make the argument that we are missing Encarnacion right now...and if that is the case the Mets made a pretty good trade. Besides, you saying that Weathers is old enough to be your grandpa is indication enough that the Mets got a hell of deal here.

im sayin they both suck!!!!!!!

and juan Encarnacion is batting 255 with 10 jacks 35 RBI's and a 292 OBP

nobody misses that.......

since april....

hidalgo has hit under .200 and has driven in 8 runs.

there is a reason the astros let him go.

jason lane in the past week has driven in i think 5 or 6 runs.

this was the 'excuse' the astros needed to get lane in the lineup.

weathers is a decent reliever and griffiths can be ok.

i like it from the astros standpoint and they arent exactly getting 'robbed'

You know, you could make the argument that we are missing Encarnacion right now...and if that is the case the Mets made a pretty good trade.? Besides, you saying that Weathers is old enough to be your grandpa is indication enough that the Mets got a hell of deal here.

im sayin they both suck!!!!!!!

and juan Encarnacion is batting 255 with 10 jacks 35 RBI's and a 292 OBP

nobody misses that....... And I guess getting a guy who hit 44HR 122RBI .314 and 13SBs for Weathers is a really bad deal too...

And I said you COULD make the argument, but it is obvious you couldnt make a valid argument about anything.

since april....

The Reason: Contract.

Not because Hidalgo doesnt have the ability. He hit .309 with 28HRs last season.

since april....

The Reason: Contract.

Not because Hidalgo doesnt have the ability. He hit .309 with 28HRs last season. the contract is a wash at this point.

that astros save about 300k or so if that.

its lack of production from hidalgo and a need for pitching.....no matter how 'unreliable' weathers has been this year.