The Future...

I think Jacksonville would be a very good place for them to play. It is the largest city in Florida, and I think it would get much better attendance than Miami. The only question is would they be able to build a stadium there.

The Jacksonville Suns minor league team has usually drawn fairly well up there, but I don't think it's a big enough market for major league baseball. It's pure football country, and they're even beginning to have problems filling up the Jaguars games. Orlando is probably a better option. Let's move the Devil Rays up there. ;)

I think Jacksonville would be a very good place for them to play. It is the largest city in Florida, and I think it would get much better attendance than Miami. The only question is would they be able to build a stadium there.

The Jacksonville Suns minor league team has usually drawn fairly well up there, but I don't think it's a big enough market for major league baseball. It's pure football country, and they're even beginning to have problems filling up the Jaguars games. Orlando is probably a better option. Let's move the Devil Rays up there. ;) I disagree. I live near Orlando and I think there's just too many other attractions out here it's hard to get good attendance. I know the magic have never gotten great attendance. I really think Jacksonville could work they've got the largest population in florida and if anything it would work better then Miami.

I disagree. I live near Orlando and I think there's just too many other attractions out here it's hard to get good attendance. I know the magic have never gotten great attendance. I really think Jacksonville could work they've got the largest population in florida and if anything it would work better then Miami.

Ah.. you live near Orlando... I agree with you.. Orlando is filled with tourists... even tho Orlando's population has grown quite a bit in the last few years.. up to 2 million I believe... tho getting around the city is horrible with I-4's traffic..

Guest marlins02

he was not worth $10 million.

You say that as if it were September 29th...

You have no clue of what you speak of... look man, i may have over exxagerated when i said he was washed up. but lets face it, he's been catching in the bigs for 13 years now, that takes a lot out of you. he's missed alot of games the last 2-3 years which is in part because of all those years. it doesnt take a genius to know whats coming, which we are seeing now, he's even struggling with his defense and he's a perrenial gold glove catcher. he wasnt worth the money.

which we are seeing now, he's even struggling with his defense and he's a perrenial gold glove catcher. he wasnt worth the money.

He's even struggling with his defense? That's what I would expect as he gets older. It's his offense that you don't expect to decline as much. His offense may be decreasing from what it once was, but he will still have his . 300 average and 15-25 HR at the end of the season. Bottom line.

Guest marlins02

hopefully your right, and he will end up with those numbers. but we need him playing defense as well, he's cost us some runs catching. but your defense doesnt just decline at catcher, so does your offense. why did you think the mets were alreayd going to move piazza to first, his offense has been declining the last few years. you think hitting requires no physical strength or speed? if your slowing down or stiff enough to the point where you cant catch like you used to, what makes you think you're offense wont suffer.

they do got something like a small theme park up at detroit, that would be pretty cool if they did that down here

That's what they were thinking with the Bicentennial Park Stadium. They were going to put it on the water, with the big park, and build a huge shopping center around the outside of the stadium and rent them out for more revenue...

they do got something like a small theme park up at detroit, that would be pretty cool if they did that down here

That's what they were thinking with the Bicentennial Park Stadium. They were going to put it on the water, with the big park, and build a huge shopping center around the outside of the stadium and rent them out for more revenue... The Orange county area is filled with malls... hey.. if no one goes to the games.. you can get revenue with the shopping...

A Baseball/Shopping Mall :mischief2

Guest marlins02

im a canes fan, i hate the 'noles and gators. so i would really hate to lose my baseball team to that area, i would perfer to lose them to anyone else. its a regional thing i guess, especially with tampa winning what was suppose to be our super bowl, i would hate to lose anything else to you guys. dont take it personally

If they move, it'll be out of FLA. I think between the Rays and the Fish MLB has had enough of Flori-duh.

A theme park? Detroit can't draw flies with their little theme park. Oh, and while we are at it, let me say again that a new stadium isn't the answer. Once again, see Detroit, Milwaukee, etc. After the novelty wears off the fans go away and so does the revenue.

I really think that moving the team is going to happen. It's all going to come to a head by the end of MLBPA's CBA either next time around or the time after that.

I'm starting to think more and more about Puerto Rico. It makes alot of sense, either in the case of the Rays, or the Marlins. Montreal is first in line to get an American market, then MLB will set it's sights on addressing the Florida franchise debacles. The Carribean market would eat up a MLB team. For God's sakes, they are rabid over baseball down there, and lord knows it isn't even America's favorite pasttime anymore. Why not give them a team or two, they've been stocking rosters with talent for almost 40 years now.

And why not Puerto Rico? It gives MLB "international" exposure, and they wouldn't have the tax/exchange issues that currently exist with the Canadian teams. Build a new stadium down there and it'll be filled to the brim every night.

Build a new stadium down there and it'll be filled to the brim every night.

Because they have so much money flowing down in Puerto Rico, right?

The San Juan and Expos thing is only temporary. The fans down there are going to all the limited games they can while they can. If they knew they had the luxary of having a team there forever, they wouldn't go 1/2 as much, mainly because it costs too much.

When you go to Puerto Rico, the people are either rich or poor. Mostly poor. WHich is the reason there will never be a baseball team in PC.

When you go any other city the people are either rich or poor, mostly poor. Or at least too poor to blow 100 bucks on a baseball game for their family. But they do.

Yeah, Puerto Rico is poor. But there is money there. And they are more rabid for baseball than any American market, bar none.

Would you rather average 50K fans paying 5 bucks a seat in Puerto Rico or 5K fans paying 15 in Miami? Do the math.

The San Juan and Expos thing is only temporary. The fans down there are going to all the limited games they can while they can. If they knew they had the luxary of having a team there forever, they wouldn't go 1/2 as much, mainly because it costs too much.

Couldn't you make the same arguement for the Marlins? Can anyone say we have the luxury of having a team forever in Miami? I don't think anyone here would bet that it's an absolute lock the Marlins will be here in 10 years. And since the team's destiny has been placed in the hands of fans, who need to boost attendance, why aren't people showing up?

Make them the Purto Rico Marlins, they'll pack the house.

When you go any other city the people are either rich or poor, mostly poor. Or at least too poor to blow 100 bucks on a baseball game for their family. But they do.

That's for now. For the limited time they actualy have a chance to. Once a team actualy goes there and they realize they can see a game whenever they want, they won't go 1/2 as much...

Would you rather average 50K fans paying 5 bucks a seat in Puerto Rico or 5K fans paying 15 in Miami? Do the math.

I think you need to not underestimate our crowds to 5K a night. I am pretty sure we average like 13,000. And I think you are overexemplafying when you say 50K a night. That just isn't going to happen.

I guess it's all hypothetical in the end.

But if you are Loria, and there is no solution evident in Miami after a couple more years, isn't it worth the chance? You know he'll get even more sweetheart cash from MLB to help underwrite the experiment than when he took the Marlins last year.

I think come 2005 he'd jump all over it.