The Future...

Wild Card

I guess it's all hypothetical in the end.

But if you are Loria, and there is no solution evident in Miami after a couple more years, isn't it worth the chance? You know he'll get even more sweetheart cash from MLB to help underwrite the experiment than when he took the Marlins last year.

I think come 2005 he'd jump all over it.

I think by 2005 the Marlins might be a competitve team with a low payroll and much higher attendance numbers. But that's just me.

I don't think he would, for different reasons, but we can't forsee what will happen to this franchise, so let's not worry about it...

they do got something like a small theme park up at detroit, that would be pretty cool if they did that down here

At one point, early in his ownership years with the Florida Panthers and Marlins when he still owned Blockbuster, Wayne Huizenga had elaborate plans to build a huge entertainment complex called "Blockbuster Park". Local fans nicknamed it "Wayne's World" which was my favorite.

A 2 billion dollar complex built on undeveloped areas of the Everglades in Miramar, it would have a baseball stadium at one end, a hockey arena at the other end, and a giant shopping complex in between.

Would have been something, eh?

here's a section from an old article about it if anyone's interested. (sorry to bring up old stuff...)

"...he proposed building a 2600-acre sports entertainment complex on the Dade-Broward border, anchored by his baseball and hockey teams. The planned park was slated to include a 45,000-seat domed stadium for the Marlins, a 20,000-seat arena for the Panthers, two theme parks, movie studios, TV and radio stations, a marine stadium, a sports museum, restaurants, shops, two luxury golf courses, parks, and plenty of space for amateur sports. A Disney World, in essence, for jocks. "

At one point, early in his ownership years with the Florida Panthers and Marlins when he still owned Blockbuster, Wayne Huizenga had elaborate plans to build this huge entertainment complex called "Blockbuster Park".

A 2 billion dollar complex built on undeveloped areas of the Everglades in Miramar, it would have a baseball stadium at one end, a hockey arena at the other end, and a giant shopping complex in between.

Would have been something, eh?

here's a section from an old article about it if anyone's interested. (sorry to bring up old stuff...)

"...he proposed building a 2600-acre sports entertainment complex on the Dade-Broward border, anchored by his baseball and hockey teams. The planned park was slated to include a 45,000-seat domed stadium for the Marlins, a 20,000-seat arena for the Panthers, two theme parks, movie studios, TV and radio stations, a marine stadium, a sports museum, restaurants, shops, two luxury golf courses, parks, and plenty of space for amateur sports. A Disney World, in essence, for jocks. "

Now that would have been amazing :o