Is Jack McKeon playing the wrong game?

DTrizzle

Seems like Jack isn't playing the strengths of his team

Last year we were SB leaders

Pierre gets a base hit, you take a chance, he steals

If successful, you have one on second, nobody out

Castillo is up, he bunts, could end up for a sacrifice, could be a base hit...

Pierre is on third, 0 or 1 out....

Lowell is up, if none are out, he hits for a single.

If one is out, Lowell has a sac fly

Is this our game? Is Jack to blame? (EDIT: I did not try to rhyme that)

DTrizzle, while Jack can't control what a player does, he can control who can do what and where.

I blame Jack in part for the last several losses because he is either overmanaging or letting it all go to hell like today.

The players are to blame, the offense has been pitiful and the pitching has been streaky. The defense had some huge blunders, and the bullpen has shone some light, quickly to blow it.

It is a long season, but there issues that must be addressed now. If Jack can't do it, he shouldn't be managing.

DTrizzle, while Jack can't control what a player does, he can control who can do what and where.

I blame Jack in part for the last several losses because he is either overmanaging or letting it all go to hell like today.

The players are to blame, the offense has been pitiful and the pitching has been streaky. The defense had some huge blunders, and the bullpen has shone some light, quickly to blow it.

It is a long season, but there issues that must be addressed now. If Jack can't do it, he shouldn't be managing.

I can't believe you're even suggesting Jack shouldn't be managing!!! I'm outraged!!!!

I can't believe you're even suggesting Jack shouldn't be managing!!! I'm outraged!!!! No, I am saying that if Jack can't get this straightened out, he shouldn't be managing. I am confident it will get fixed, and I think that Jack will be the one to do it.

I think what Cape meant is if Jack can't get the best out of these guys then he's not the manager for this team and should resign. Anyone disagree? Isn't that the role of a manager?

I don't blame Jack much for the baserunning woes. Pierre is not taking the leads he once did. He fears that the leaning towards second taught to him at the Cris Carter speed/sprint camp puts him at a disadvantage when they try to pick him off first 5 times each at bat. He needs to either take his chances or quit the leaning and get a proper lead.

well i just think we are heading in a totally different direction offensively from last year

our game was small ball

Jack f***ing up the lineup putting jp sixth doesnt help

Let Castillo and JP set the table by getting on and jacking some bases

Maybe we need to get a new batting coach? I don't know, but it seems that all year we haven't gotten things clicking our way. We need a streak like that of the Rays to get us going. I think the best we did this year is 4 in a row...and lastly, is it possible that every time a struggling team comes to play us they come out of their slump? Maybe it will be reversed when we play the Rays, I surely hope so.

If my theory that being too comfy is correct, now that the Phills are tied for 1st, they'll go on a streak.

I agrer with you. maybe they have Seabiscuit complex. Where the horse was pulled back and not allowed take a big lead. They always won the big races from behind.

That's a dangerous mind set to have. Jack must find a way to inject a sense of urgency on this guys.

Bottom line is that we are not hitting consistently. I didn't get to watch the game today, but now that Gonzalez has improved tremendously with the bat we have other key guys slumping. Lowell had that 0-28 streak, Pierre isn't hitting as he usually does. Cabrera is on and off ecc. Better do some batting practice tomorrow, get their s*** together.

If you remember correctly, most all the guys have the green light and only in certain situations does Mckeon put a "RED" light on. McKeon is not telling them not to run, they are not just stealing bases. Have you ever thought the Pierre has lost some confidence since he has been thrown out quite a bit this year. Castillo is still hurting.

Even tied for first at this point of the season and we are still not playing well. Sure, the bench players are getting PT and the regulars are getting rested. The season starts after the break and you will see the rejuvenation because of the rest. Baseball is a long season and the players need time off now and then. Expect the starters to play most of August and September as they did last year.

Running is overrated, and asking McKeon to let the speedsters stretch their legs more isn't the answer.

Remember Torborg had them running like they stole something for the first part of last year. They led the league in SB by a landslide and were on pace to set some team records. And all of it amounted to crap.

But since we are sniping on McKeon, I think his eccentricities in managing are catching up to him. Last year he would consistently make moves that made very little sense, and yet they almost always worked like a charm.

This year it ain't happening.... Call it luck or what have you, but I think Jack needs to stop tweaking and overmanaging. Just let them play. After all, that was his managerial mantra last year and it worked out allright.

Everyone needs to become a bit more aggressive at the plate. At times I get the impression we are going up there trying to get a walk.

More often than not they are getting behind in the count as they watch hittable pitches go by. It looks like the scouting report on the Marlins is to throw fastballs for strikes early, then finish them off with breaking pitches out of the zone.

Perhaps they are working too hard to drive up the pitch count? They need to mix it up more to keep the opposing pitchers honest. IMO

Everyone needs to become a bit more aggressive at the plate. At times I get the impression we are going up there trying to get a walk.

More often than not they are getting behind in the count as they watch hittable pitches go by. It looks like the scouting report on the Marlins is to throw fastballs for strikes early, then finish them off with breaking pitches out of the zone.

Perhaps they are working too hard to drive up the pitch count? They need to mix it up more to keep the opposing pitchers honest. IMO

agreed

Frankly I was totally frustrated yesterday not seeing Choi playing, especially when they lifted their left-handed starter. I couldn't believe they left Damion "I'm sinking like a rock" Easley in for the entire game.

Sooner or later Jack is going to have to trust Choi to play day in day out or else they might as well trade him (not something I'm in favor of) because having Easley playing 1B is both a defensive and an offensive liability. 0-5 does not speak well for Jack's platooning efforts at first. I sat there in total bewilderment, especially in the late innings at Jack's refusal to play the big guy and I think it in part helped cost us the game.

This past month we're hitting at the same clip but aren't getting as many walks and running as much.

I'm generally a fan of patience at the plate, but it's useless if the pitcher knows your waiting too.