McKeon's hands to be tied?

Fish Fillet

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this....

Thanks to Ramp's keen post concerning the Marlins' cream-puff schedule in the upcoming weeks, it is fairly obvious that if the Marlins are going to make a run, the time is definitely now...

But will McKeon play the hot hand down the road if they make a run? Much more than Torborg, Old Man River has shown he'll shake up the lineup. But will he when the deadline is coming and the FO doesn't want players they are trying to shop riding the pine? Will he sit cold players that are also trade bait?

I'd just hate to see a nice streak end because someone slumping craps out a 1 for 13 and leaves 8 on base during a series.

exactly HC and as he showed with Banks, if someone is hot, they will stay in.....

but i only see TH and Banks switching now and then....

DLee needs a break.... what is wrong with this guy?

he should have a good week in Milwaukee, as should most of the team

Guest markotsay7

I wondered about D. Lee and if he tied into this in some way, but wrote if off originally as too much conspiracy theory, especially this early in the season. But it does make me wonder.

Why doesn't he get a day or two off?

Because he has a consecutive games streak going. Big deal. The announcers talk about it every night...am I the only one who finds that annoying?! He has to play like, 2000 more games to catch Ripken...give it up, man! One thing I was hoping when Torborg left was that McKeon wouldn't give 2 craps about his streak and bench him when he needed a day off...but he hasn't done that.

OK guys, let's really think logically about this.

1) Nobody in MLB plays better defense at 1B than one Derrek Lee

2) Who are you going to put in for him? Brian Banks? Give me a break. Brian Banks doesn't play 1B for a reason. Besides, there is a reason why Lee is a 27-year old 6 year veteran and Banks was a 32-year old minor-leaguer that wasn't a decent starter for the Brewers.

Your ignorance on this Derrek Lee topic is really starting to show.

He's batting .249, which his worse than his career .261 (which doesn't exactly turn heads)

He's striking out almost one out of every four at bats this year. What's wrong with giving him a day or two off every now and then? You can't tell me he's more valuable as an everyday player than Lowell, or Castillo, and each of them has had at least a day off.

Sit his a** down. If nothing else it'll shut Hutton up during broadcasts when the only nice thing he can mention about Lee is his absurd games streak.

You can't tell me he's more valuable as an everyday player than Lowell, or Castillo, and each of them has had at least a day off.

They have gotten days off because we have other players that can play 2B and 3B. We don't have anybody that can play 1B.

I'm sorry, but I think D-Lee needs to stay in the line-up.

They have gotten days off because we have other players that can play 2B and 3B. We don't have anybody that can play 1B.

We aren't carrying someone who can man 1B other than Lee? So what then happens if D. Lee takes a fastball in the ear tonite around the third inning?

I'm not saying to bench him for a long period of time, but a night wouldn't hurt. Banks would do fine at 1B for a night every couple of weeks. It's not like you are asking Pudge to play SS or something. Defense at 1B is nice, but I think we can manage a night without D. Lee's above-average defense (and .240 BA)

We aren't carrying someone who can man 1B other than Lee? So what then happens if D. Lee takes a fastball in the ear tonite around the third inning?

I'm not saying to bench him for a long period of time, but a night wouldn't hurt. Banks would do fine at 1B for a night every couple of weeks. It's not like you are asking Pudge to play SS or something. Defense at 1B is nice, but I think we can manage a night without D. Lee's above-average defense (and .240 BA)

I don't just want him in there because he plays amazing D. I want him in their because he is a much better hitter than Banks. That's the bottom line.

I don't just want him in there because he plays amazing D. I want him in their because he is a much better hitter than Banks. That's the bottom line. His defense might be needed maybe twice in a game but you don't start player because of their your best defensive player.You need to go with the best all around player at that position which in reality should be D.Lee but obviously struggling at the plate is nothing new for D.Lee.Brian Banks had a hot bat while he started and I wouldn't mind seeing Banks get his chance for a week at first.

I don't just want him in there because he plays amazing D. I want him in their because he is a much better hitter than Banks. That's the bottom line. If D is SO important then...

Why isn't B. Molina considered in The Top First Basemen in the league?

It's because he play's first base!

Why do you think they put stiffs at First, theirs a reason Tony Clark was originally put their and it wasn't because of his D.

Brian Banks had a hot bat while he started

Had is the key word in that sentence.

And what are you saying? That Brian Banks is a more offensively productive player? :lol

OK! Suuuuure he is! Whatever you say pal... Ok, you take Banks, I'll keep Lee... you're being ridiculous. No one is saying Banks is a better player than Lee. Just that it wouldn't be terrible to give Derek Lee a night off once in a blue moon, and that Banks is able to play 1B. It worked for Mike Lowell...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.