Bobcats land No. 2 Pick

nc marlin

The Charlotte Bobcats have made their first major trade as a franchise.

The Bobcats traded the No. 4 and No. 33 picks in the draft to the Los Angeles Clippers for the Clippers' No. 2 pick along with center Peja Drobjnak.

"Peja is thrilled about being the first member of the Bobcats," Drobjnak's agent, David Bauman, told Insider.

The trade puts the Bobcats in the position to take one of the two players they covet most in the draft -- Emeka Okafor or Dwight Howard. The Orlando Magic hold the first selection and still have not decided whether to select Okafor or Howard.

"We would be pleased starting our basketball team with either one of those young men,'' Bobcats coach and general manager Bernie Bickerstaff said. "They represent what we would like to become in terms of character, competitiveness and talent.''

The Clippers are already loaded at the power forward position and wanted to move down in the draft to select a point guard. The Clippers have been looking at several point guards, including Ben Gordon, Devin Harris and Shaun Livingston, with one source in Los Angeles claiming that Gordon likely would be their selection.

Moving Drobjnak to the Bobcats would clear an additional $2.6 million off the Clippers' payroll, and with the additional savings from trading down in the draft, the Clippers could have in excess of $13 million in cap room this summer. Drobjnak will become the first player on the Bobcats' roster.

The Atlanta Hawks were also trying to pry the No. 2 pick away from the Clippers. They offered both of their first-round picks to L.A., but the Clippers were concerned that the player they wanted might not be on the board at No. 6.

Charlotte will select 14 players from existing NBA rosters in the expansion draft, although the Bobcats expect to choose only a few players who will end up on their opening-night roster.

Bickerstaff also said he expects to make three or four trades before this week is over.

"There's not a lot, but we do have some things on the bubble and we'll work diligently to try to bring a couple more to fruition,'' he said.

Drobnjak, a three-year NBA veteran, averaged 6.3 points and 3.2 rebounds last season for the Clippers, who acquired him in a sign-and-trade deal with Seattle during training camp. He has one guaranteed season remaining on his contract for approximately $2.8 million.

"He'll get an opportunity,'' Bickerstaff said. "He's a big body, he can shoot the basketball. We'll be pulling for him to succeed.''

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

As a Bobcat fan I really like this deal because the No. 2 pick lands you a big man which is the key to success in the NBA. I would rather have Howard than Okafor just because of Emeka's back problems.

The Drobber gives the Bobcats another big body as well. I really like what the organization is doing so far.

I don't know. This draft is very weak. I'd rather trade down and only pay mid-first round money.

If they don't take Okafor or Howard I will be mad as hell. Other than those two the draft looks weak(well I think a couple of the high schoolers could end up being very good players). Those two could be franchise players and you need a big man to win so I'm all for it.

EAST VALLEY TRIBUNE - June 21, 2004

The Suns and the expansion Charlotte Bobcats appear to be closing in on a trade that?s been the subject of speculation for months: a deal that would allow the Suns to unload the contract of center Jahidi White and clear enough salary space to go after bigname free agents such as Kobe Bryant, league sources said Saturday.

Under the concept, which has been bandied about for months, the Bobcats would agree to take White, who has one year and $5.9 million left on his contract, if the Suns gave them at least a firstround draft pick and $3 million in cash. Such a trade, which could be announced during Tuesday?s expansion draft, would give the Suns about $14 million to go after free agents.

The Suns acquired White early last season when the club got off to a slow start, in part because of a lack of interior defense. White averaged 4.3 points and 4.3 rebounds in 14 minutes per game last season.

This would be a great move for the Bobcats if the Suns decide to do this.

EAST VALLEY TRIBUNE - June 21, 2004

The Suns and the expansion Charlotte Bobcats appear to be closing in on a trade that?s been the subject of speculation for months: a deal that would allow the Suns to unload the contract of center Jahidi White and clear enough salary space to go after bigname free agents such as Kobe Bryant, league sources said Saturday.

Under the concept, which has been bandied about for months, the Bobcats would agree to take White, who has one year and $5.9 million left on his contract, if the Suns gave them at least a firstround draft pick and $3 million in cash. Such a trade, which could be announced during Tuesday?s expansion draft, would give the Suns about $14 million to go after free agents.

The Suns acquired White early last season when the club got off to a slow start, in part because of a lack of interior defense. White averaged 4.3 points and 4.3 rebounds in 14 minutes per game last season.

This would be a great move for the Bobcats if the Suns decide to do this. If the Suns do that they are going to have alot of egg on their faces. Kobe is not going to go to Phoenix.