Jason Grimsley traded to Orioles

rferry

Guest Moneyball

The Orioles are 15 games out of first place. They get a big WTF? for this one.

i just think the orioles are reloading for next year. if you think your team is in it 15 games out and one of the worst pitching staffs in baseball you are doing some serious drugs.

Here's an article.

The Orioles got the right-handed reliever they desperately needed, acquiring Jason Grimsley in a trade with the Kansas City Royals on Monday.

Baltimore gave up right-handed prospect Denny Bautista for Grimsley, who immediately agreed to a contract extension through 2005.

Grimsley, 36, is 3-3 with a 3.38 ERA in 32 appearances for the Royals this season.

Since signing with Kansas City before the 2001 season, Grimsley leads American League relievers with 251 appearances, with a 3.94 ERA over that span.

For his career, he's 38-50 with a 4.75 ERA in 13 seasons.

Bautista, 23, began the season at Double-A Bowie before making his major league debut with the Orioles on May 25. He made two relief pitches, allowing eight runs in two innings, before being optioned back to Bowie.

The Orioles' bullpen has struggled since right-hander Rodrigo Lopez was made a starter in May. Lopez was sent back to the bullpen last week, but injuries may force manager Lee Mazzilli to return him to the rotation.

C/O- Baltimoresun.com

I could be wrong here, but I think Bautista was up earlier in the year and got absolutely rocked and they sent him back down, maybe he showed a poor attittude or something because honestly what are the Orioles thinking here. Like FarmerFran said relief pitching will come at a cost. I guess it's a good thing Beinfest came threw quickly and got Koch at a cheap price.

The Orioles are 15 games out of first place. They get a big WTF? for this one.?

i just think the orioles are reloading for next year. if you think your team is in it 15 games out and one of the worst pitching staffs in baseball you are doing some serious drugs. Hell, I think Bautista will be ready by next year. It just doesn't make any sense to me. They are taking on payroll that may hamper them in getting a big name starting pitcher this offseason while giving up a 23-year old starting pitcher with a great upside.

I could be wrong here, but I think Bautista was up earlier in the year and got absolutely rocked and they sent him back down, maybe he showed a poor attittude or something because honestly what are the Orioles thinking here. Like FarmerFran said relief pitching will come at a cost. I guess it's a good thing Beinfest came threw quickly and got Koch at a cheap price.

Yup. 2 innings, 8 runs.

A nice, crisp 36.00 ERA.

Guest Moneyball

Hell, I think Bautista will be ready by next year. It just doesn't make any sense to me. They are taking on payroll that may hamper them in getting a big name starting pitcher this offseason while giving up a 23-year old starting pitcher with a great upside.

maybe they didn't like what they saw and rather not take a risk. but your point is valid.

Yup. 2 innings, 8 runs.

A nice, crisp 36.00 ERA. the thing is that they put him in at mop up duty

who calls up a stud pitcher for momup duty vs the yanks

idiots

Yup. 2 innings, 8 runs.

A nice, crisp 36.00 ERA. the thing is that they put him in at mop up duty

who calls up a stud pitcher for momup duty vs the yanks

idiots Yeah I remember how pissed you got when they did that.

KC will be rocking by 05

they will have the sickest staff in the AL ... right after ours of course

call me crazy, but ill take my chances and keep Batista and ponder upon his potential than to take on Grimsley who is a decent reliever but nothing more than that ... I guess the orioles wanna lock down that 3rd spot (Go DRays!)

btw

::MLB::

Ignoring Mike Mussina.

Signing Albert Belle, David Segui, etc.

Hyping the average Sidney Ponson last year to increase his trade value then pay him big bucks to continue to be just an average starting pitcher.

I think it's safe to say stupidity is the reason.

i guess what they thought what was gonna ahppen they w ere gonna get them an offense and they had a nice pen...... so if they had some average picthing the pen and the offense would take care the wisn..... but fact is they dont even have average picthing..... they have below average picthing and there pen hasnt been all that this year.......

and the offense can only do so much...... but as 4 this move "lmao"