#1 Pick Matt Bush Suspended After Arrest

FutureGM

c/o ESPN.com:

SAN DIEGO -- Matt Bush, the top pick in the baseball draft two weeks ago, was suspended indefinitely by the San Diego Padres on Monday, a day after he was arrested and released in Peoria, Ariz.

A news release issued by the Padres during the sixth inning of their game Monday night against Arizona did not indicate what Bush was arrested for. General manager Kevin Towers said he would comment after the game.

Bush, who starred as a shortstop at San Diego's Mission Bay High, agreed to a $3.15 million signing bonus.

Bush had been assigned to the Padres' rookie-level affiliate in Peoria.

I live right next to the peoria sports complex and whatever it was it was kept quiet .... i checked the sheriffs webpage and they don't show him as being processed this week so it must of been kept under the radar

probably some dumb stuff out here ... a lot of bars/restaurants by the stadium .. about the only good place to get arrested in peoria itself unless you are robbing, criminal motor violations or domestic stuff

yeah, McDuffys is right across the street from the sports complex ... i personally think it's overated and go to the bar right next to it ... McDuffys is basically a meat market type place

my best guess would be he got into it a little and then they tacked on other charges ... as long as he wasn't driving ... they don't play around with that out here ... mandatory weekend in jail

now that he has time on his hands I wonder if he'd be interested in joining my sand volleyball team .. which is played at another bar next to the complex ... we could use some help

Padres suspend top pick Matt Bush after arrest

By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer

June 22, 2004

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Matt Bush, the top pick in the baseball draft two weeks ago, was suspended indefinitely by the San Diego Padres on Monday, a day after he was arrested at a bar in Peoria, Ariz.

The 18-year-old Bush was arrested at McDuffy's, located across the street from the Peoria Sports Complex, at 12:32 a.m. Sunday for investigation of trespass, disorderly conduct and assault, said a spokeswoman for the Peoria Police Department, who identified herself only as Sherril. She refused to release any other information.

Bush, who was assigned to the Padres' rookie-level affiliate in Peoria, won't be able to play during the suspension, general manager Kevin Towers said.

Towers said the Padres were disappointed.

``The one thing that we try to do here, and it's very important not only at the amateur level but at the major league level, is the type of individual we bring into this organization is very important,'' Towers said Monday night.

``We want people to be real positive role models for kids and set good examples and represent not only the San Diego Padres, but professional baseball and San Diego in a very professional manner, and this is not a real good early indicator of something like that.''

Bush, who starred as a shortstop at San Diego's Mission Bay High, was taken with the first pick in the draft on June 7. He agreed to a $3.15 million signing bonus.

Towers, who spoke glowingly of Bush on draft day, was asked if the arrest changed his opinion of the player.

``It certainly hasn't helped,'' Towers said. ``He has yet to even play a game yet. These aren't some of the things that you like to see happen to a young man who's about ready to start his career. And it's not just for the kid. He's got teammates and people who are probably looking up to somebody like him to set an example. It's going to be very difficult.''

Towers said team owner John Moores, president Dick Freeman and scouting director Bill Gayton would be involved in deciding how Bush will be disciplined.

Updated on Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 1:31 a

I just heard he bit one of the bouncers? Is that for real? Pads would seem to have a Mike Tyson on their hands. Oh yeah, that's apparently felonious assault, biting is.

I think GM Towers' reaction was appropriate, as Miami15 quoted him off the AP. That said, do you really think they're going to cut him or anything? Tranquilize him, perhaps...

yeah .. the story is that his brother snuck him into the bar .. when they found out he was 18 they went to throw him out ... an altercations started and he bit a bouncer on the arm ... then him and his brother scuffled with some people .. the police showed up and matt went a little nuts while his brother tried to take off

my main questions is why are they out going nuts at 12:30 on a sunday night?!

AZ barclose is 1am and the area is dead on a sunday night

anyhow, here is the padres #1 pick