Story on Norfolk ownership group...

Guest Moneyball

[ Puts on DC Baseball cap ]

As the only city bidding in a major U.S. media market (sorry Las Vegas) that does not detract from another MLB team, Norfolk is a definite contender.

However their plan to use stadium revenue to pay for the stadium isn't very attractive to MLB because that is just taking money that the owners can use on the club.

Their biggest selling point is using owner Bob Johnson's Carolina Sports Network to absorb North Carolina with the idea of becoming a regional team like the Braves. Again, there are some questions how profitable that cooperation may be. There is a long history of baseball owners who own TV networks of avoiding putting money towards revenue sharing by signing sweetheart deals between the two. Wayne Huizenga did it, heck he did it to the cowardly John Henry too. The Tribune Company (parent company of WGN and the Cubs) do it. A lot of MLB teams are sick of other smaller-market teams like the Expos taking their money, who's to say Bob Johnson wouldn't do the same?

[ Keeps on DC Baseball cap ]

There is a long history of baseball owners who own TV networks of avoiding putting money towards revenue sharing by signing sweetheart deals between the two. Wayne Huizenga did it, heck he did it to the cowardly John Henry too.

Wayne sucks...

:thumbdown

[ Puts on DC Baseball cap ]

As the only city bidding in a major U.S. media market (sorry Las Vegas) that does not detract from another MLB team, Norfolk is a definite contender.

However their plan to use stadium revenue to pay for the stadium isn't very attractive to MLB because that is just taking money that the owners can use on the club.

Their biggest selling point is using owner Bob Johnson's Carolina Sports Network to absorb North Carolina with the idea of becoming a regional team like the Braves. Again, there are some questions how profitable that cooperation may be. There is a long history of baseball owners who own TV networks of avoiding putting money towards revenue sharing by signing sweetheart deals between the two. Wayne Huizenga did it, heck he did it to the cowardly John Henry too. The Tribune Company (parent company of WGN and the Cubs) do it. A lot of MLB teams are sick of other smaller-market teams like the Expos taking their money, who's to say Bob Johnson wouldn't do the same?

[ Keeps on DC Baseball cap ]

NBC4 had a good piece on the Dulles option the other day. To me that sounds like the most viable spot. Loudoun is one of the top counties in the nation when it comes to growth. But anywyas the plan sounded good to me, but problem is do they play RFK until the stadium is built

Since we are getting into TV and Radio contracts (you have opened a can of worms)

1) Comcast said they would start a DC feed so that the team in DC will be on. Is there any other potential bidder for the rights?

2) Who would be the over the air TV partner?

3) Who would be the radio flagship?

Since we are getting into TV and Radio contracts (you have opened a can of worms)

1) Comcast said they would start a DC feed so that the team in DC will be on. Is there any other potential bidder for the rights?

2) Who would be the over the air TV partner?

3) Who would be the radio flagship?

Comcast, Pax does some O's games, WB used to...I don't much about this kind of thing but those three would probably be the number 1 options

Radio I can;t remember the name, I refuse to listen to home radio station because of the guys that do the Redskins...saaaadddd display and annoying

Cape, from what I've read all Orioles and Washington Senators/Virginia Whatevers games will likely be shown in the DC market. How they plan on doing I don't know. At the moment the O's are only seen on Comcast and the UPN affiliate, but WB and NewsChannel 8 (similar to CN8 in Philly and Boston) have shown interest in the past. And there's always the PAX affiliate out of NoVA. My guess is that baseball will be seen on only 3 of those networls to keep the bidding high year-in year-out.

Radio should not be much of an issue, but I see that there might be a problem because one of the larger sports radio stations recently switched to talk radio on their FM dial transmitting out of NoVa and switched all their sports talk to ther AM dial transmitting out of Baltimore.

The other large one is owned by Clear Channel (I think) and operates three stations all within the immediate DC area, one talk radio (strong signal), another ESPN radio (again strong) and the other FOX Sports radio (very weak 10 minutes north from their transmitter. Must be directed towards the south)