The Dumbing Down of America

Lcyberlina

Like an Orwellian novel come true...

Challenge: Can you read anything longer than two sentences? Or do yo prefer the quick snipets you have been fed off all your life? Do you dare to step outside the box for one day?

The Dumbing Down of America

Excerpt:

[..]How has a once admired and loved leader of nations fallen from grace in such a short period of time? What has happened to a populace living in the wealthiest nation in human civilization? Why has the United States transformed itself into the malicious beast the world sees through frightful eyes?

Gluttony and materialism have enveloped all corners of the United States, from Pacific to Atlantic Oceans, from the border with Canada to the one with Mexico. The vices of consumerism and greed are all-encompassing, years ago having replaced virtues long since gone. The clandestine enslavement hidden in mass production and ever-longer working hours has in the last few decades become the value by which we measure one?s worth to society.

The ability to question authority has vanished in a haze of indifference, even as the evaporation of the American mind continues unabated. Government has been transformed right in front of our eyes, becoming not democracy but corporatism, the marriage between the corporate and government elite. Our freedoms and liberties are in shambles, now fragile porcelain being decimated by the thundering herd of bulls in Washington.

I can agree with Tonyi, although the scope is much larger now

It is the american value system in that is seems that a larger portion of the populace chace dollars or judge themselves by the amount of money they make or hours they work

gov't and politics are always intertwined .... the age old tradition of corruption and influence (which happens about everywhere, especially in Europe where the Unions run a lot) ... i don't think that the hand is in the pocket that much deeper than it was in the past

I think the worse thing currently going on is that people work themselves to death over jobs that just aren't worth it

this leads to them being away from family, becoming overstressed, wanting to relax in their few hours off instead of doing volunteer work, recreation, etc

My problem and major disilusionment comes from the fact that very few people stop to think about this and play into the game just like we have been taught to. Our scientists are our last hope, but they too are being silenced or worse... manipulated to help this madenning cause.

We used to enjoy a prominent stance in technological advance and progressiveness... This is no longer the case. We are being surpassed by other countries who are making quantum leaps into scientific research and technological improvements...

Our children are not taught critical thinking, liberal arts, philosophy, etc. Nothing that can spark a thought process... If they do teach such subjects it is usually slanted to someones opinion and it never encourages debate and analysis.

Our education system is the worse. I know this by comparisson. I have studied in another country and I can attest to the mediocrity of education we receive here in the US. I used to think that maybe I had just gotten really smart all of a sudden... But then I realized that our standards are set well below many other countries.

Our education system is the worse. I know this by comparisson. I have studied in another country and I can attest to the mediocrity of education we receive here in the US. I used to think that maybe I had just gotten really smart all of a sudden... But then I realized that our standards are set well below many other countries.

Quality started slipping in the late-60's. By the mid 70's the collapse was in full swing.

Chart it against the rise of "professional" educators, pushing all sorts of goofy new systems - like Iowa, and you'll see a pretty close correlation. I am not sure what you mean by the Iowa reference... Can you elaborate?

in an agrarian workplace it is more family related (still is) ... they put in long days, but it's a very close structure and they take the time to fish, bbq, etc

also back in the industrial revolution times the womens role was different ... they would take care of a lot of the domestic end, which would free up some time

now you have both parents working crazy hours, kids being shuttled from one event to another, housework that still needs to be done with other domestic activities

in that situation a lot of the social aspects and enjoyment aspects of life get overlooked

I can also agree that the education system is for the most part crap ... my fiance is a teacher and I don't envy her job

not all nations get it right though .. i wasn't impressed by what I've seen of the canadian system and the english system is worse than ours in that they decide a younger age if you should be an academic or "skilled labor"

i also agree that our science and technology is slipping as well

One thing that I for sure blame is the fact that parents no longer take the time to teach their children anything. However, it isn't the parents fault either that they can hardly spare time for their children. In today's society both man and women need to work if they ought to make enough money to buy the things necessary for survival and to give their kids the comforts that they never enjoyed themselves.

TV and video games have become today's childrens babysitter. Parents are often too tired (or too lazy for that matter too) to pay attention and give their kids some quality time... In many cases they were tv children themselves.

How can a child develop critical thinking when he/she spend countless hours staring at a TV that tells you exactly what to do, what to eat, how to dress, how to talk and what to think... Kids today are spoiled because that is the way parents have brought them up. We want everything to be easy and hence we make everything easy for them... There are no challenges for them anymore.

Parents may wonder why their children don't listen and it maybe just because they don't listen or care themselves. Others may wonder why children don't concentrate and pay attention in school and instead of finding out if the child may just be bored and not challenged enough, they popped him/her a pill to "spark" his/her attention... Children are not allowed break time anymore in school and people wonder why are children so hyperactive that they give them ritalin to calm them down... What is this? Since when playing outside with other children was bad? Since when it has become so dangerous to have a scrape in your knees? What happened to kids that were allowed to be kids and that were taught to think instead to follow?

the parents can't allow themselves to be pushed away .. they can't be afraid to hurt feelings and come off like the bad guy

teachers can bust their butts, but if things aren't being reinforced at home it really doesn't matter

at my girlfriends school homework is an afterthought in the 7th grade .. when I was in 7th grade I'd have it nightly and it better be done ... even if assigned they just don't do it

these principles need to be pushed at a young age .. you have to instill in the kids that they need to value those things instead of just valuing the TV

I also agree that the kids need to take responsibility for their actions ... and ultimately they will ... although it's hard to teach responsibility .. it's one of those things that comes from home over a period of years

and Tonyi, i also grew up in the country and know exactly what you mean

there were days in the winter where I'd invent games that would involve a tennis ball and a flight of stairs and keep myselfed entertained for hours

constantly would have to find things to keep my mind going .. many days just sitting in a tree and reading ... hiking through the woods and building forts ... i'd setup dart tournaments (against myself) where i'd play a couple different teams and then run a season record and type out a sports column on it

and god forbid if I came home with a poor report

then again my little brother has grown up in the same environment and he has never really been motivated to do much

so who knows ...............

"In today's society both man and women need to work if they ought to make enough money to buy the things necessary for survival and to give their kids the comforts that they never enjoyed themselves."

Uh, most families can get by with a lot less. The cost of living is up, but people want to buy more luxires than ever. For example, an compact car today would be a luxury car 50 years ago. Families don't NEED TV, Radio, computers, or ect...these are luxuries. Most people live way beyond their means and I have no compassion for them.

"In today's society both man and women need to work if they ought to make enough money to buy the things necessary for survival and to give their kids the comforts that they never enjoyed themselves."

Uh, most families can get by with a lot less. The cost of living is up, but people want to buy more luxires than ever. For example, an compact car today would be a luxury car 50 years ago. Families don't NEED TV, Radio, computers, or ect...these are luxuries. Most people live way beyond their means and I have no compassion for them.

Soriano took the words out of my mouth.

The idea that a two wwage earner family is a neccesity is a myth. As a matter of fact, there was just a segment of one of the TV newsmagazines (Dateline, 20/20, etc) that broke down this myth and crunched the numbers.

And it's not b/c of luxuries. The cost associated with maintaining a house with two full time working parents is disproportionatly higher than a household with one parent staying home.

This thread is pathetic.

"WAAAHHHH AMERICA SUCKS AND OUR PEOPLE OUR STUPID" is the only useless point I see of this thread.

I would have to say this forum proves that there are deep thinking, intelligent people. Fact of the matter is, the dumb outnumber the smart. That's how it is, that's how it has been, and that's how it always will be because......

yes, for the most part, people are stupid, very stupid.

:(

Our education system is the worse.

For the record: The United States has the best post-graduate education system in the world, which is why it acts as a magnet for foreign students. It's not that the bar is lower; it's that so few people avail themselves of the opportunities provided. When I talk about "education system" I mean public education system.

You are right. People can get by with less. People could forfeit vacations, clothes, TV, radios, computers. Sure, there are people who can live without such things. They are called "Amish".

Truth is Mr. Sorianofan that in our society we need computers, TV and radio. We work because we want a better life, not just to provide for our own subsistence, but to pursue what we call happiness. For some happiness is a vacation once a year with their kids in Disney World, for others is having nice clothes and a good car. Are you suggesting that parents should feel sorry for wanting to give comfort to their kids... Are yous suggesting that you should conform with poverty?

I do feel sorry for people who have to work 60 hours a week in order to provide their children with everything they need to succeed in life... I guess you don't have the same feelings for your dad, who supposedly worked his ass off for you.

Our education system is the worse.

For the record: The United States has the best post-graduate education system in the world, which is why it acts as a magnet for foreign students. It's not that the bar is lower; it's that so few people avail themselves of the opportunities provided. great point

You are right. People can get by with less. People could forfeit vacations, clothes, TV, radios, computers. Sure, there are people who can live without such things. They are called "Amish".

You know what? Any good parent would give away those luxuries to raise their children properly, END OF STORY. F*ck the parents taking away my rights, they have a god damn responsibility.

Truth is Mr. Sorianofan that in our society we need computers, TV and radio.

No, no we don't. you don't NEED entertainment. for 2 bucks, YOU CAN GET ALL OF THOSE THINGS at your public library! God bless America!

We work because we want a better life, not just to provide for our own subsistence,

a better life is provided when there's a parent at home, end of story. otherwise the kids go nuts, make crime and make their parents want to rip their hair out.

but to pursue what we call happiness. For some happiness is a vacation once a year with their kids in Disney World, for others is having nice clothes and a good car. Are you suggesting that parents should feel sorry for wanting to give comfort to their kids... Are yous suggesting that you should conform with poverty?

I suggest people should stop being selfish, materialistic a**holes. I would take a happy functioning family over an WAY overrated vacation to some crappy theme park any day of the week.

I do feel sorry for people who have to work 60 hours a week in order to provide their children with everything they need to succeed in life... I guess you don't have the same feelings for your dad, who supposedly worked his ass off for you.

Don't pretend you know my f*cking dad, who worked 100 hours a god damn week (no exaggeration, 14 hour+ days) just so we could get by. We are better off today, but I still stick it to him when he stupidly wastes money, forcing himself to work more than he needs.

I feel sorry for no materialsitc a**hole. You miss TV? go to the local pub and watch the game. You miss computers or books? go to the library. You miss vacation? take an hour drive to the beach. It is not expensive, people choose to blow their money and they can go f*ck themselves for all I care. They are free to be stupid, but not free to be liable for their stupidity.

Don't pretend you know my f*cking dad, who worked 100 hours a god damn week (no exaggeration, 14 hour+ days) just so we could get by. We are better off today, but I still stick it to him when he stupidly wastes money, forcing himself to work more than he needs.

I feel sorry for no materialsitc a**hole. You miss TV? go to the local pub and watch the game. You miss computers or books? go to the library. You miss vacation? take an hour drive to the beach. It is not expensive, people choose to blow their money and they can go f*ck themselves for all I care. They are free to be stupid, but not free to be liable for their stupidity.

We obviously disagree. I'll leave it at that.

The United States is a wonderful place. If you don't like it, there are over 100 other countries you could move to....They may not take you though.

Nope, I'm not leaving the country that has taken me in... At least I won't leave it to the wolves to devour what is left of it. I will fight for what is good about it. Some day you will thank me for it. :mischief

Fact of the matter is, the dumb outnumber the smart. That's how it is, that's how it has been, and that's how it always will be because...

Ever read Cyril Kornbluth's "The Marching Morons". Classic Sci/Fi story based along these lines. Nope, I haven't.

The one thing I need to do more is read novels....