Good luck to the kid...

Accord

The kid who threw out the first pitch tonight had to be 7 or 8 years old, he was there because of the Make A Wish Foundation and his wish was to be a Marlin for a day. I'm not sure what was wrong with him but it's definitely something serious, it was sad when they announced him and he walked out, the people sitting next to me at the game were actually crying when he threw out the first pitch.

Anyways, i'd just like to say I hope everything goes well for him and he'll be able to go to Marlins games for a long time to come...

Right on. :thumbup

Make-A-Wish is awesome. I had a cosuin way back when who got to hang out with Michael Jackson for a day on tour (Hold the snickers, it was back in the early 80's circa Thriller, not the Wonderland ranch days) thanks to Make-A-Wish.

Anyways, been a supporter of make-a-wish for awhile. They rock.

The kid who threw out the first pitch tonight had to be 7 or 8 years old, he was there because of the Make A Wish Foundation and his wish was to be a Marlin for a day. I'm not sure what was wrong with him but it's definitely something serious, it was sad when they announced him and he walked out, the people sitting next to me at the game were actually crying when he threw out the first pitch.

Anyways, i'd just like to say I hope everything goes well for him and he'll be able to go to Marlins games for a long time to come...

oh, thats awsome. I really feel bad about the kid...does he have terminal disease or...what?

wait, i just saw the game interview with the kids family, i think he just got to be a marlin for a day just because?

Not all Make-A-Wish cases are terminal...My niece is a Make-A-Wish kid...She had tumors removed and lost a kidney right on her 2nd birthday and had month of chemotherapy...She has been designated "Clear" of anymore tumors and is about to turn 5...If you saw her now you'd never tell she had any of that...During her operation and recovery, my friends and I pretty much all wore are baseball hats backwards as "Rally Caps" until she showed signs that she would pull thru her surgery...I immediately retired that Marlins hat and gave it to her as something for her "scrapbook" that her parents put together for when she is old enough to be told and understand what she went thru...She keeps that hat out in her room where she can see it...

Here's some more info on the child and his wish, from the herald

Tuesday was the best day of 7-year-old Yordany Lopez's life. And it was a pretty good afternoon for Jeff Conine and Mike Lowell too.

Lopez, who is in remission with leukemia, took batting practice with the Marlins in a visit arranged by the Make-a-Wish Foundation. Conine and Lowell showed Lopez how to stretch, then joined Mike Redmond in playing catch with the grammar-school student from Kendall. Later, Yordany used a fungo bat to hit a couple of shots off batting practice pitcher Pierre Arsenault as Chipper Jones and a number of Atlanta Braves cheered him on.

''They offered him trips to Disney World. What kid doesn't talk about Disney World?'' said Lopez's mother, Yamelis, who broke down in tears when a team official showed her the locker the team had set up for her son in the clubhouse. ``But he wanted a day with the Marlins.''

Yamelis said Lowell, a cancer survivor, is Yordany's favorite player.

'He told me, `I can be strong if a player that has the same sickness as me can be strong,' '' she said.

Lowell, who joked about the boy's ''poor judgment,'' said he enjoys making time for children.

''It makes me feel good that we can maybe make his day,'' said Lowell, who gave the boy two signed bats. ``It kind of hits home a little more for me than most guys because of what I went through. I look at my daughter as if it were that kid, and it's tough.''

Added Conine: ``It's one of the perks of this job. Be able to let him forget his troubles for a day. It's pretty special.''

link

very best wishes towards yordany in the future.. i hope he beats this!

Here's some more info on the child and his wish, from the herald

Tuesday was the best day of 7-year-old Yordany Lopez's life. And it was a pretty good afternoon for Jeff Conine and Mike Lowell too.

Lopez, who is in remission with leukemia, took batting practice with the Marlins in a visit arranged by the Make-a-Wish Foundation. Conine and Lowell showed Lopez how to stretch, then joined Mike Redmond in playing catch with the grammar-school student from Kendall. Later, Yordany used a fungo bat to hit a couple of shots off batting practice pitcher Pierre Arsenault as Chipper Jones and a number of Atlanta Braves cheered him on.

''They offered him trips to Disney World. What kid doesn't talk about Disney World?'' said Lopez's mother, Yamelis, who broke down in tears when a team official showed her the locker the team had set up for her son in the clubhouse. ``But he wanted a day with the Marlins.''

Yamelis said Lowell, a cancer survivor, is Yordany's favorite player.

'He told me, `I can be strong if a player that has the same sickness as me can be strong,' '' she said.

Lowell, who joked about the boy's ''poor judgment,'' said he enjoys making time for children.

''It makes me feel good that we can maybe make his day,'' said Lowell, who gave the boy two signed bats. ``It kind of hits home a little more for me than most guys because of what I went through. I look at my daughter as if it were that kid, and it's tough.''

Added Conine: ``It's one of the perks of this job. Be able to let him forget his troubles for a day. It's pretty special.''

link

very best wishes towards yordany in the future.. i hope he beats this! Thats like,heartwarming, i hope the kid turns out all right