Real Reason we didnt take Jameer Nelson

sheff#1

well I'm damn glad the Magic got Nelson. I'm very pleased with our (Magic) offseason, and although I'd like to see the Magic look for a better offer than what the Rockets are asking, I'll be alright with the trade.

A team consisting of Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson, Drew Gooden, Stevey Franchise, Cato, Mobley, and Grant Hill (I have a strong feeling he's gonna be healthy this season)....it's better than 21 wins...that's for sure.

well I'm damn glad the Magic got Nelson. I'm very pleased with our (Magic) offseason, and although I'd like to see the Magic look for a better offer than what the Rockets are asking, I'll be alright with the trade.

A team consisting of Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson, Drew Gooden, Stevey Franchise, Cato, Mobley, and Grant Hill (I have a strong feeling he's gonna be healthy this season)....it's better than 21 wins...that's for sure.

Maybe in the future, but everyone of those players have question marks to fill. Howard & Nelson are rookies, Gooden is coming off of a pretty disappointing soph season, Hill off numerous surgeries and injury riddle years. Cato is nothing special as a player, Francis is great but kind of overrated and Mobley is just an average, undersized 2 guard.

Can someone please explain to me why it matters so much how tall the point guard is?

I mean if he can outscore his opposition and make some good passes, who really gives a s*** how tall he is? It's not like the point guards are crashing the boards that often.

Or, is it assumed that just because he's 2-4 inches shorter, there's no way he can outscore his opposition? I've never found 2-4 inches to matter on the court but maybe it's different in the NBA (though I would think it would matter less).

Why do we care how tall Nelson is?

Can someone please explain to me why it matters so much how tall the point guard is?

I mean if he can outscore his opposition and make some good passes, who really gives a s*** how tall he is? It's not like the point guards are crashing the boards that often.

Or, is it assumed that just because he's 2-4 inches shorter, there's no way he can outscore his opposition? I've never found 2-4 inches to matter on the court but maybe it's different in the NBA (though I would think it would matter less).

Why do we care how tall Nelson is?

Defensive liability. Plus it will also depend on his quickness and speed. Nelson has good quickness and speed but in the NBA he might not be able to get to the hoop like he did in college, only time will tell. But the height definitely hurts him on the defensive end and he can and will be posted up, however, luckily for him, his body and strength will offset that alot more than most people his height.

Defensive liability. Plus it will also depend on his quickness and speed. Nelson has good quickness and speed but in the NBA he might not be able to get to the hoop like he did in college, only time will tell. But the height definitely hurts him on the defensive end and he can and will be posted up, however, luckily for him, his body and strength will offset that alot more than most people his height.

I guess that makes some sense, but I still have difficulty believing that those couple inches is going to make that much of a difference defensively. Either he can or he can't play D. Against other PGs that's going to depend more on his speed, as you've mentioned, than his height.

You rarely see PGs posting up anyway these days, and against those PGs who are good at it, the 2 inches won't likely make a big difference anyway.

And in any case, Tim Hardaway was one of the best PGs I've ever seen at posting up, and I don't think he was even 6 feet tall.

so true....Jameer Nelson wasn't a top pick because he's 5-11/6 ft tall.

Okafor can play defense, but the Magic have had their share of injuries (ahem Grant Hill, and "injuries" of T-Mac) and didn't want to take a chance on Okafor's back. And Dwight Howard has a HUGE upside....I'm excited that we got Howard...AND we got the best player in college basketball.