This current Marlin team is simply not good enough

When the Marlins started the season they were winning on pure confidence from winning the World Series. As time wore on, the true team began to show its colors. A team that has been playing five hundred ball for three months. I believe the current players know that this team as it is built will not make a run for the title. The players are waiting for a trade instead of just playing. The reality of the situtation is grim.

The Marlins are the type of team with there current payroll constraints that can only win a title after suffering 4 or 5 years of losing. Why you say? Well, the Marlins need to keep payroll around 50 million. To win a title at 50 million dollars, a team would require young (21-27) ballplayers playing for less then 2 to 3 million. Some would need to be paid under 1 million. Not only must the team consist of young ball players that are bargains, the player must greatly outplay there contracts in order to be thinking title. What then happens after the young team wins a title you say? Well, the players that were peaking at 26, 27, 28 now are no longer shackled by not having free agency rights and since they have outplayed there contracts to win said title, they will probably leave to a new destination in order to be paid. Then what happens? The team now has to either hire older veterans past there prime at a low salary, hire young players from the minor leagues, or trade for players that meet the 21-27 range that may outplay there contracts. The problem remains that it will usually take 5 years for a team to replenish its minor leagues and or delvelop players that the roster can consist of young players 21-27 of age that have the ability to outplay there contacts and contend for a title.

The Marlins are heading toward purgatory where there pitching will be good enough to keep them close but there payroll is not good enough to pull them over the top. The team has started the new cycle and it may be awhile before this team can contend under current salary constraints. Lets face it, most teams dont give away Encarcion, DLEE, Redman, or lose quality players like PUDGE and Urbina after winning titles. Lets be realistic and be patient. Our time might come in a few years again. Until then, Pavano is outplaying his contract, so what do you think will happen to him with a team that can only have 50 million as a pay roll? We have to let him go. It is the Marlin reality.

You are WAY ahead of yourself here.

This team IS good enough to win their division and certainly, at that point, contend for another title. NO ONE HAS THE STARTING PITCHING TALENT WE HAVE except the Cubs. We also have one of the best relievers in baseball in Benitez. We still have one of the best defensive teams in all of baseball AND with that formula, we have plent of offense to win games.

Sure, we lost Lee, Encarnacion, Redman, Fudge, Urbina.

But they have been replaced by Choi, Conine, Burnett, Red/Treanor, Benitez, respectively.

I will take my chances with Conine over Enc, and you could argue, easily, that Redmond and Treanor are not as good as Fudge. But we werent expecting Castro to go AWOL. And our current tandem at C has been very solid and has not given us a problem in any aspect of the game.

Each departing player has been effectively replaced by this team. Our runs per game, last I checked, was on pace with last year's team anyway (4.4 this year compared to 4.6 last year).

And we are still a a very young team with guys performing with great value. Treanor, Choi, Cabrera have all been very good and Willis, although struggling, has shown signs of getting back to last year's form. Benitez has gone well beyond expectations.

Plus, we are in the NL East and there is plenty of time to take over this division. It will come down to whichever team executes the best and is the most consistent from here on out. With our starters coming back healthy, we are primed for a second half run.

This team is plenty good and is UNDERACHIEVING THUS FAR.

JonnyLons I am sorry but you are mistaken. Our replacements for our players from last season are no where near talent level wise.

Lee > Choi.....Lee is the best 1B in the game IMO, and he can hit

Enc > Conine.....Conine is aging and is slower, when we had ENC, we had another possible stolen base.

Pudge > Red/Treanor......Enough said, Pudge is Pudge. Between these 2 catchers, we have 1 HR. Simply not good enough.

Redman > Burnett...Burnett is the better player talent wisebut due to his injury he is not pitching that well because he has not fully recovered, except for that 8 inning game.

Ugie & Looper < Benitez....Benitez has been pitching LIGHTS OUT, and he is doing an outstanding job closing games out. Ugie and Looper struggled at times doing this, but they were two good pitchers who strengthened our bullpen last year. Benitez is doing better though.

The problem with these posts is that every time they're comparing a team we had for little over a month to one before the July trading season.

Encarnacion was statistically the worst offensive rightfielder in the league last year. Conine well is the second-worst LF this year. Big difference. :) Still, we had Helling-Fox-Urbina-Looper for one month! And a big bat off the bench (Conine/Lowell/Cabrera/Encarnacion) only for the postseason. The difference was the team scored runs in late innings and starting pitching didn't tax the bullpen much last year

Guest Juanky

438331[/snapback]

DUDE WTF

Pujols.....Thome.....Helton.....

Guest Juanky

Redman > Burnett...Burnett is the better player talent wisebut due to his injury he is not pitching that well because he has not fully recovered, except for that 8 inning game.

438331[/snapback]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

I could have sworn AJ has had 3 pretty good starts already

438374[/snapback]

Yes, but he continues to allow the big inning to hurt him.

438379[/snapback]

what are you talking about?

AJ is a completely different pitcher than he was after his first 2 starts

JonnyLons I am sorry but you are mistaken. Our replacements for our players from last season are no where near talent level wise.

Enc > Conine.....Conine is aging and is slower, when we had ENC, we had another possible stolen base.

Pudge > Red/Treanor......Enough said, Pudge is Pudge. Between these 2 catchers, we have 1 HR. Simply not good enough.

Ugie & Looper < Benitez....Benitez has been pitching LIGHTS OUT, and he is doing an outstanding job closing games out. Ugie and Looper struggled at times doing this, but they were two good pitchers who strengthened our bullpen last year. Benitez is doing better though.

438331[/snapback]

Choi is better than Lee.

AVG/HR/RBI/BB/SO/OBP

Lee in 2004: .304/10/46/32/61/.380

Choi in 2004: .274/13/33/40/61/.392

Now consider where each bats in their lineup and that Lee has played 78 games while Choi has only played 73 games. Lee has had 286 at bats, Choi has had 215 at bats.

Encarnacion: .240/12/41

Conine: .267/5/29

Enc has had 279 at bats with 45 K's and 18 BB. Conine has had 247 at bats with 36 K's and 25 BB.

Pudge has gone .376/10/57 while Red has gone .273/1/21 and Treanor has gone .310/0/1

Redman 6-5 4.42 ERA

Burnett 0-3 5.04 ERA (just came back from TJ surgery)

Benitez 2-0 1.11 ERA 26 saves

Urbina 3-3 5.23 ERA 11 saves/Looper 2-1 2.01 ERA 15 saves

Guest Juanky

438331[/snapback]

DUDE WTF

Pujols.....Thome.....Helton.....

438361[/snapback]

I think, at this point, I'd rather have Lee than Choi, but Lee is NOT the best 1st baseman in the game.

438385[/snapback]

Because Lee is tearing it up.

I've said it many times I'll say it again, Choi is alot better now than Lee was at this point in his career.

And I'll keep the getting on base 4 out of every 10 thanks very much.

438374[/snapback]

438379[/snapback]

438390[/snapback]

Ramp, he allowed the big inning in his start in Tampa and that's how they won. He allowed it in his last start by letting the Braves get the game tied in the 1st and then putting 2 on for the rain delay.

438374[/snapback]

438379[/snapback]

438390[/snapback]

Ramp, he allowed the big inning in his start in Tampa and that's how they won. He allowed it in his last start by letting the Braves get the game tied in the 1st and then putting 2 on for the rain delay.

438398[/snapback]

AJ gave up 2 runs against TB in 8 freakin innings!!!!!

jeez what is wrong with you man????

Guest Juanky

438374[/snapback]

438379[/snapback]

438390[/snapback]

438398[/snapback]

No, Cape

Tampa won that game because Brazelton threw a one hitter. The offense didn't show.

The Braves won that game because the offense didn't show when it counted and the pen couldn't hold it.

Don't try to pin this on one of the better players on the team the last 3 weeks.

Guest Juanky

He's lost three games because of the offense!

He SHOULD be 3-3 at worst, most likely 3-2. The only bad starts he has had was Cleveland and Atlanta, and Atlanta wasn't even that bad.

The man just came back and he has already thrown a complete game. He's pitching, not throwing.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.